Boss BR-800

Author
nocoJack
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 25
2010/08/11 13:35:15 (permalink)

Boss BR-800

I just picked up a Boss BR-800 that came with Sonar LE included. 

It seems like a lot of people get good use out of the LE version (especially with packaged DAW interfaces) and many upgrade to the full version. 

I'll be trying out this new toy and will let you guys know what I learn about the software and hardware.

5 Replies Related Threads

nocoJack
    Re:Boss BR-800 2010/08/13 09:31:59 (permalink)
    So I'm new to Midi... and after a few minutes of messing with Sonar LE, I got it to make sounds with the most basic Wavetable and Roland G5 synth. 

After a few hours of fiddling with the system, I found 3 other embedded synths and was able to make sounds as well.  When selecting notes, I was able to get the synth sounds.  When running "play," the midi tracks would not make any sound.  I clicked "quantize" under the FX section and for some reason, that worked.  My current assumption is that I could download new synth racks and get them to work.

I plugged in a Korg Kaoss pad to my M-Audio interface (since the Boss Br-800 doesn't have a midi-in-out).  I ran the midi-out from the Kaoss to the in of the M-Audio and in to out.  My assumption was that I could access the synth sounds from the Kaoss and have that run on my computer.  The sound banks on the Kaoss light up and cycle with the different selections on Sonar (all off by 1... so if I select 74 on my computer, 73 lights up on my Kaoss)... but I don't get any sound yet.  I have a midi-synth keyboard that I'll try also to see if I can learn something about it... then apply it to the Kaoss.
    Casi
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Boss BR-800 2010/11/07 04:38:17 (permalink)
    Hi nocoJack, I've just checked your post and therefore would like to ask if your system is up and running ? I just bought the BR-800 and installed Cakewalk but it doesn't work even though the software detects the BR-800. Are there any additional specific parameters that I need to enter into Cakewalk's option panel ? I don't get any sound out of my PC using cakewalk. 
    nocoJack
    Re:Boss BR-800 2010/11/17 16:44:58 (permalink)
    Hey Casi! My system is up and running.  Make sure your I/O settings are entered properly and that you have the BR listed as a controller.

The instructions that come with the BR should guide you through the initial setup.  Remember, your computer may treat this as a new sound card... so there might be some interaction issues with other sound cards or drivers.

If you can let me know what specifics you've tried, I can give you some more help.  Good luck!

natefreezy
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Boss BR-800 2011/01/29 13:51:41 (permalink)
    Hi nocoJack,

I was hoping to tag on your post as well, hope you don't mind!

I'm trying to get my system set up with the BR-800 as well and just started a new thread, but thought you might see this here.

I can't get any audio in Sonar, and have played around with the settings as much as I can.  I've tried the following setup (I have an HP Pavilion dv2945se).

http://www.cakewalk.com/S...etup/asio.asp?man=BOSS

I changed the settings in Audio options so that in 'General' BR-800 is selected for Record and Playback, it's selected in the 'Drivers' tab, and in 'Advanced' I've tried ASIO and WDM/KS in Driver Mode.

I can get e.g. audio from iTunes to play back through the BR-800, but no sound in Sonar.  Anyhow I'm out of ideas now, so any thoughts would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

nocoJack
    Re:Boss BR-800 2011/02/03 16:39:25 (permalink)
    Check what your I/O settings are... do you have the O set to master?  Also, set the Master to BR800 and plug headphones into it... you should be able to hear sound.

There should be something at the end of the manual for how to have the BR800 act as a control surface.  I think that might steer you in the right direction.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1