Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy

Author
rick7653
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 133
2010/08/11 19:51:12 (permalink)

Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy

I use Producer 8.5.3 but my friend wants me to fix him up with a SONAR system. He took one look at mine and was totally confused. Is there a SONAR version that is a little more beginner friendly but still has enough bells and whistles to allow him to make decent music on? A version with instruments and effects but not so technically unfriendly to the amateur user?

Thanks for any advise. I have only used the pro stuff so I am not very familiar with the other SONAR products.

25 Replies Related Threads

djjhart@aol.com
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2189
    Re:Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy 2010/08/11 19:57:29 (permalink)
    I think all the versions of Sonar will be the same thing accept for added on features as you go up to producers Edition.  I would recommend 8.5.3 and just learn it ,, the only reason I would go with a studio version or other version would be because of the price.. If Moneys a factor look into fruity loops or reason record, as they are going to be the simplest daws to work with. Note Fruity loops and Reason are more electronic based daws.. if your looking for an inexpensive and full featured daw look into Reaper .. If your looking for the best Sonar.

Computer - Intel Q9550, Intel BX48bt2 MB, W8 64 bit. 8 gb Ram, SSD  
    Hardware - Tascam Fw1884 Control surface only, Ni S49 Komplete Kontroll,Roland Quad Capture, Ni Machine,Kore, Focusrite A/D converter, Blue Mic, Roland Gaia, Akai Mpk49, Yamaha HS80 Monitors.
    Software - Sonar Platinum , Vengeance VPS bundle,Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Turnado, NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Dune, Rob Papen  Blade , Delay, Punch Evolved.
     http://soundcloud.com/johnhartson/tracks  
     http://www.youtube.com/user/jhart1313 

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy 2010/08/11 20:00:20 (permalink)
    Djjhart is correct. Get 8.5.3 Producer or Studio and learn it. There are so many resources out right now, that it makes learning sonar easy.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    dr.hash
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 220
    Re:Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy 2010/08/11 20:01:11 (permalink)
    There are a few questions that need to be answered.  What does he want to do with the software.  I mean sonar 8.5.3 producer comes with all the bells and whistles.  Sonar Studio comes with a bit less but is still the same program.  Then you have Sonar Home Studio, which is further is a further cut down version of Sonar Producer and Studio.  So there are many flavours just reaearch and choose the one that is right for you.

Viva la Revolution
    Ben B.C.T (Bachelor Of Creative Technology)
    Sonar Forever, Pro Tools Never
    http://www.myspace.com/audiomystics
    rbecker
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 740
    Re:Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy 2010/08/11 20:15:08 (permalink)
    Speaking as someone not all that computer savy, the non-music-making parts of this whole thing are the most daunting. What I mean are things like loading software and sound cards and audio interfaces and latency and bad power supplies and problem plugins...That sort of thing. These types of issues will be that same no matter what version of Sonar your friend tries. The actual Sonar stuff is not all that hard to figure out, read about or get forum advice about...Which leads me to say that having a good forum to turn to might play into the decision making process. Also, you don't NEED to use every feature in Sonar. I read about stuff all the time in the forums that cause me to say to myself "Hey - I didn't know I could do that!". 

RJB -Vernon Corv 

"There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand binary and those who don't."

My Songs
    ---
    Sonar Platinum
    HD: ST2000DM 001-1ER164 7200RPM
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @3.40 Ghz
    RAM:12.0 GB Memory:2 drives 1 Terabyte each
    Windows 10
    Video: NVIDA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy 2010/08/11 21:09:43 (permalink)
    None. If you are computer illiterate, you will struggle with Sonar. Get something else, like a cassette recorder.

Seriously, if you don't know computers and Windows, don't know how to plug in a microphone, never used a tape recorder, or don't know how to hookup speakers, you will be miserable using Sonar.
    post edited by daveny5 - 2010/08/11 21:13:11

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re:Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy 2010/08/11 21:34:18 (permalink)
    Cakewalk Pro Audio???

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    nprime
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2423
    Re:Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy 2010/08/11 22:36:48 (permalink)
    daveny5

None. If you are computer illiterate, you will struggle with Sonar. Get something else, like a cassette recorder.

Seriously, if you don't know computers and Windows, don't know how to plug in a microphone, never used a tape recorder, or don't know how to hookup speakers, you will be miserable using Sonar.

That is the correct answer.

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
    Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
    PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
    Stone House Studios
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3550
    Re:Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy 2010/08/11 22:43:18 (permalink)
    nprime

daveny5

That is the correct answer.
    +1

The above didn't even mention audio interfaces, midi, USB or anything that users at a "Producer's" level would need to know just to understand what is going on.

Brian

Core i7-6700@3.40Ghz  Windows 10x64 16 GB RAM
    Sonar Platinum/Studio One     PreSonus Studio 192
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy 2010/08/12 01:06:05 (permalink)
    I agree with the ones who say it's not the software itself that is the hard part. It's the setting up, getting low latency and difficulties with third party VSTs and understanding the midi etc.

The basic operations in recording and mixing are practically identical from Cakewalk Music Maker to Sonar Producer .

You can tweak the UI in Sonar to make it "look more simple" and more approachable.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    CJaysMusic
    Re:Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy 2010/08/12 01:14:20 (permalink)
    Weren't we all computer and software illiterate at one time? And some still are... J/K...LOL  I say get producer and jump right in and start learning about this new world of digital recording
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    Re:Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy 2010/08/12 01:21:53 (permalink)
    Just get one of the Home Studio products... or even Music Creator 5, which you can download for $35 (or buy the boxed version for additional content). Gives you a basic DAW environment with some FX and instruments, but also is expandable with 3rd party FX, synths, etc. If your friend can find the power button, and can operate a mouse, then I'm sure he can go through a few tutorials and be able to record and mix his own stuff in short order. You don't have to be a computer genius, but you do need a capacity for learning. There's no reason to jump into the deep end of the pool with producer or studio, since cake products are upgradeable. Believe me, he'll get plenty of use out of a basic environment like MC5 for quite some time before he needs anything substantially more powerful.
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy 2010/08/12 01:27:32 (permalink)
    Just get 8.5.3 producer and pay me 50/hour to teach you. Youll be a champ!

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    VinylJunkie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 939
    Re:Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy 2010/08/12 02:15:36 (permalink)
    Advising him to dive straight into the latest Producer version is all very well , but if he struggles with the technical/computer side of things he'll get frustrated and probably give up. 

Which would then be an expensive mistake.

If he needs an interface as well, he could do worse than getting one that has SONAR LE bundled with it. He can learn all the basics with that and upgrade to a more feature rich edition at a later time.

VJ
    Chregg
    Max Output Level: -51.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2382
    Re:Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy 2010/08/12 05:21:41 (permalink)
    Just get one of the Home Studio products... or even Music Creator 5, which you can download for $35 (or buy the boxed version for additional content). Gives you a basic DAW environment with some FX and instruments   

+1
    ericyeoman
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 976
    Re:Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy 2010/08/12 05:30:05 (permalink)
    If he needs an interface as well, he could do worse than getting one that has SONAR LE bundled with it.

+1

He'd get an interface, something to learn with, and there's an upgrade path for when he's ready
    to move on.

CuBase, Ableton, Steinberg UR-22 MKII, i7-4790K 4.00 Ghz, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM, Windows 10. 
    Lowline
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 67
    Re:Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy 2010/08/12 12:08:53 (permalink)
    I know it's not Sonar so don't shoot me, but having used Presonus Studio one it struck me as a DAW aimed at non tech-savvy people.  Easy to set up and use, and it's lack of features wouldn't be a draw back for someone learning from scratch.

Studious
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 222
    Re:Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy 2010/08/12 15:41:30 (permalink)
    How about hooking him up with a Mac and using the built-in GarageBand?  I know many technically-deficient people who have had surprising success with this setup.
    strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    Re:Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy 2010/08/12 15:53:27 (permalink)
    I would get the tutorial video, especially if it's only a couple of quid. Most DAWs follow a similar path but I wouldn't call any of them intuitive. Getting set up is the most unintuitive part of any DAW but thankfully most companies have tried to make this as painful as possible by offering very little guidance. This is changing, albeit slowly.

DAWs are about concepts. Once you get the concept of each part then it's not too bad. Set up. Ins and Outs. Audio. Midi. Tracks. Busses. Mixing and the million other things you need to know.

He'll soon get the hang of it. To me, the worst part is just getting it all to work. There's more variables than grains of sand.
    groovey1
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 288
    Re:Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy 2010/08/12 17:35:36 (permalink)
    For entry-level Sonar, I think Music Creator 5 is the way to go. He can upgrade later if he gets into it.

SONAR Platinum, Win10-64, Acer Aspire V15 (i7-4510U, 2.0GHz, 8GB), Quad-Capture
    https://soundcloud.com/waltmusekamp
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy 2010/08/12 20:21:41 (permalink)
    Sonar 8.5.3 will do beginner level work. Your freind hasn't gotten past the first look at the GUI. He would have the same problem with Home Studio or Music Creator. This is a user intensive art. Meaning you have to learn it in steps no matter what version you get. And then there is the computer connection. He will have to learn how to make it work in the computer, so he will have to learn a bit about the computer also.
    Then there's the interface equipment. He will have to learn how equipment hooks up to computer, converters, etc.
    He wants you to "hook him up", which means, he wants a plug and play recording system that doesn't require any additional learning.
    Not gonna happen.

Craig DuBuc
    CJaysMusic
    Re:Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy 2010/08/12 20:24:53 (permalink)
    Sonar 8.5.3 will do beginner level work

+1  Learning how to record and playback will be the same in sonar 8.5.3 and Music creator.

Audio Blog
    Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re:Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy 2010/08/12 23:32:04 (permalink)
    I started out w/ Guitar Studio 2. 

I knew sweet nothing about computers and midi back then - I was more of an analog tape sort of guy - my expertise w/ computers was strictly limited to typing texts on the old Mac Plus.

Got the PC and Guitar Studio - and read the whole manual from cover to cover twice before I even installed the software. Granted I read fast, but, still, that (taking time to read the manual) is one of the best investments I have ever made. It still pays off to this day.

A few months later I upgraded to Pro Audio.  Though things were a bit more sophisticated, the basic concept remained the same, and even better, most of the time, they translated whenever I demo'ed or worked w/ other audio applications, from Cubase, to Logic to Pro Tools. Point being that, no matter the GUI, the basic core principles are usually the same for the most part - even more within the Cakewalk products range - and your buddy will have to learn that stuff eventually. 

Of course, over the years, I've learned a lot more about building and maintaining computers than I initially intended to, but that good old manual that Cakewalk put together was pretty much the starting point of it all, and provided me w/ the tools and the basic language I needed to get used to in order to learn more.
    post edited by Rain - 2010/08/12 23:33:11

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy 2010/08/13 04:40:52 (permalink)
    If he's that computer illiterate then surely the only way to go is to buy a pre-configured DAW from one of the reputable guys who frequent this forum.

Ayt least he'll be able to just switch it on and start learning Sonar, without having to worry about the technical side of Windows, PC's, hardware etc.

And in the event of a problem, he'll also have access to dedicated support who will talk him through all the necessary steps to resolving it.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    Re:Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy 2010/08/13 05:53:26 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

If he's that computer illiterate then surely the only way to go is to buy a pre-configured DAW from one of the reputable guys who frequent this forum.

Ayt least he'll be able to just switch it on and start learning Sonar, without having to worry about the technical side of Windows, PC's, hardware etc.

And in the event of a problem, he'll also have access to dedicated support who will talk him through all the necessary steps to resolving it.

+100,000,01

That's the best way to start off, because even someone who has good computer knowledge but is new to setting up a DAW will find it a little tricky; installing, drivers, software, settings. 

Won't matter if he is using Sonar Producer or Home Studio or Studio One, there is a learning curve with all DAW's and to be honest Sonar's setup is one of the most logical and simple to do once you get past the basics (getting started - Please see thread; 'Get Started' - video tutorials).

As Bristol said;  Get someone who is a reputable DAW builder (include purchase of audio-interface and software (Sonar) in the deal)!!

He gets a custom built computer, tweaked for optimal music production, installation of drivers, configure (settings), install software (SONAR), configure (settings), test, retest, everything running rock solid. Oh yeah baby :)

That way, all he has to do when it arrives on his doorstep is to plug in the audio interface, turn it all on and he's ready to start recording right away.  Can't get much more easier than that. 

* I also strongly recommend he gets to know all the settings (don't touch, just take notes), and watch the video tutorials, and do a clone backup of the whole PC before diving in.

-

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Which version of SONAR for my computer illiterate buddy 2010/08/13 06:19:36 (permalink)
    Studious

How about hooking him up with a Mac and using the built-in GarageBand?  I know many technically-deficient people who have had surprising success with this setup.

This is confounding. Why would anyone recommend a platform and software that will not allow the exchange of projects and further require the OP to also learn a new DAW in order help his friend? Then maybe this notion is a joke.

Sticking with a CW family product would seem at first and second thought the only way to go.

I can see if this were a Logic forum the idea would make great sense. Here it seems ridiculous and very costly.  

Best
    John
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1