When Does SHS7 Delete the Audio (wav file) ?

Author
larrymcg
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1310
2010/08/13 01:32:38 (permalink)

When Does SHS7 Delete the Audio (wav file) ?

Does SHS7 ever delete the audio file (wav) file associated with a project (cwp) ?

I've tried selecting the audio clip in the track view and deleting it.  The audio file is not deleted.
I've tried deleting the track (with the audio clip still showing in the track view).  The audio file is not deleted.
I've tried deleting the audio clip in the track view and then deleting the track.  The audio file is not deleted.

I know I can find orphaned audio files with CWAF and then delete them.  But I thought that SHS7 would tidy things up and delete the audio file when appropriate.

I started the testing described above because I was wondering how SHS7 handled the case of deleting clips and tracks when two different projects reference the same audio file.  I guess SHS7 avoids such issues by never deleting an audio file?

--Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio

5 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:When Does SHS7 Delete the Audio (wav file) ? 2010/08/13 07:18:36 (permalink)
    I'd guess SHS has a similar function as Studios' and Producers' "Clean audio folder". That function deletes all Sonar-audio that isn't used by any project. It's a bit clumsy and culd have been designed better, though. IIRC it can't be forced to search only a limited area, but instead it combs through the whole system which takes time.

Otherwise you can only delete audio by going directly into the audio-folder to do it.

One way to get rid of unnecessary audio is to save the project under different name (after deleting the unwanted clips) to it's own project file and doing so make it also move the audio. Then you
    can delete the original project file.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    larrymcg
    Re:When Does SHS7 Delete the Audio (wav file) ? 2010/08/13 13:00:40 (permalink)
    I'm still wondering when, if ever, SHS7 will delete an audio file.  I guess I wasn't totally clear on the context for deleting audio.  I meant when doing things like deleting clips, or tracks or even entire projects.  In those contexts I'm thinking that "never" is the answer.

SHS7 has a "Clean Audio Folder..." function on the Tools menu but it is amazingly limited.

ProAudio9 came with Cakewalk Audio Finder V2 which was good for that era.
    SHS7 comes with Cakewalk Audio Finder (CWAF) V4 which is much more flexible.  You can limit where you search.  You can limit what you search for (individually select .wrk, .cwp, .tpl or .cwt) files.  It then shows you which audio files are referenced by a project.  Or which project references a specific audio file.  And it lists missing and orphaned audio files in addition to all the referenced ones.  And then you can move selected audio files (to the trash, for example).

So, CWAF is a nice tool for dealing with audio files and doing a cleanup when necessary.

--Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:When Does SHS7 Delete the Audio (wav file) ? 2010/08/13 13:08:12 (permalink)
    AFAIK, never is the correct answer.  not automatically.  the clean audio tool is the only "automatic" way of deleting orphaned audio files.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    jasonthurley
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 264
    Re:When Does SHS7 Delete the Audio (wav file) ? 2010/08/13 13:20:43 (permalink)
    It will only delete the file from your project, not the audio folder( I believe for safety, so you don't delete a file completely in case you want to reopen it in your project again). To completely remove a file (sending it to trash bin) is to consolidate your project audio using the options menu and selecting consolidate audio(Might be labeled different I think that's what Pro Tools labels there's)... this removes all the files you are not currently using in your project from the Audio folder for that project.
    larrymcg
    Re:When Does SHS7 Delete the Audio (wav file) ? 2010/08/13 13:44:37 (permalink)
    OK, I think I got it.  Thanks for the feedback.  Once again I have learned some useful stuff.
    --Larry

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1