Sound problem with LE and UA25EX and Vista

Author
sbritt
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2010/08/13 10:14:02 (permalink)

Sound problem with LE and UA25EX and Vista

Can't get soft synth (Dim LE) to output to the UA25EX. I can output midi to the sound card  through the EX speaker outputs, but not to the synth track then to the EX. Tried changing the drivers (ASIO, WDM, MME), reloaded etc. still no sound.  I am assuming the EX is capable of generating sound by itself from an audio source. Am I wrong ?

I have read Garrigus, studied the forum posts, and basicly understand the concepts of Sonar.  

What am I missing?

4 Replies Related Threads

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    Re:Sound problem with LE and UA25EX and Vista 2010/08/13 14:18:33 (permalink)
    The UA25EX is an audio and MIDI interface between the computer and "the outside world".  It has two audio input jacks on the front which can be used to record audio signals into tracks in SONAR.  It has two audio output jacks on the back which can be used to convert digital audio from SONAR to audio signals that can be fed into a mixer or power amplifier which can then be sent to speakers so you can hear it (there is also a headphone output on the unit to drive headphones).  The audio outputs are not speaker outputs--they are designed to drive a line device (like a mixer or power-amp), not speakers.

Your soft synths need to have their audio outputs in SONAR sent to a SONAR bus or the SONAR master bus.  The master bus has its audio output set to send to the UA25EX.

If you have the soft synth playing back MIDI data and the track's outputs routed to busses routed to the UA25EX you should be able to hear the soft synth in your headphones.

sbritt
    Re:Sound problem with LE and UA25EX and Vista 2010/08/13 15:08:07 (permalink)
    Thanks for the help, Bob. I believe you are saying the the soft synth track output cannot be sent directly to the UA25EX, it must be routed to the busses first and from there sent to the EX. Is this correct ?
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    Re:Sound problem with LE and UA25EX and Vista 2010/08/13 20:04:29 (permalink)
    You're most certainly welcome...I love to help.

Not that it can't, but normally audio or instrument tracks wouldn't go directly to the audio interface.   

Think of SONAR as a big analog mixer where you might have 32 channels, and each channel *can* be routed to a sub-mix bus, and each sub-mix bus *can* be routed to a master bus. 

This gives you flexibility in applying effects, or using buses for monitor mixes, etc.  Here is one example from a live sound mixing situation emulated in SONAR, if you have several different tracks playing drum sounds, you can route them to a single sub-mix bus, and if you have several tracks playing  brass (trumpet, trombone, etc) parts those can be routed to a second sub-mix bus.  And vocals to a third sub-mix bus.  Now you can control relative level of a group of tracks without changing their individual levels by adjusting the associated sub-mix bus.

So while you can assign the output of a track directly to the UA25EX, it is not normal to do so.  Route the output of the instrument track to the Master bus, or to a sub-mix bus which is then routed to the master.

Also, an softsynth instrument track (prior to SONAR 8) was really two tracks--a MIDI track and an Audio track.  The input for the MIDI track is usually your MIDI keyboard.  The output of the MIDI track is usually a soft synth audio track.  The output of a softsynth audio track then would be a bus.  In SONAR 8 and later, they introduced a simple soft-synth track that folded the separate MIDI/Audio track details into a single track view...but it can be represented either way based on preference with these newer versions.

So, it is important to make sure you understand the routing of Audio and MIDI through SONAR and the instrument and the interfaces.  You get a lot of flexibility which does increase the complexity.  If the routing isn't right you'll either get nothing or something which you don't expect.
    sbritt
    Re:Sound problem with LE and UA25EX and Vista 2010/08/14 19:07:24 (permalink)
    It is complex and trial and error is not the way to learn this, you've got to know what you doing. Thanks again, I've found the youtube Cakewalk  videos and they should be a big help for someone getting started like myself.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1