Uber Duper VOX

Author
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
2010/08/13 15:03:27 (permalink)

Uber Duper VOX

(Super Dooper Vox) Your Artistic Thoughts ... distinguishing excellent voice singing and art in 2010.

TBH, Mark Baxter (Rock and Roll Singer's Survival Guide) does not really cover the 'new school' vox pomp.  I'll go out on a limb and state: The old school diaphram-larnyx techniques seem vain and/or obsolete.

Hypothetical (Old School) Fallacies (many):
-- Develop a performance vox!  (Hah!)
-- Trust your vox skill!
-- Solemnly practice your vox alone an hour or 3 a day!  (Right!)
-- Your/my vox somehow sucks with pitch correction software!
-- Raspy, nasal vocs are taboo.
-- I have a crap vox!  (bullsh!t)
-- I don't use pitch correction software because I'm destroying God's articulations.
-- I don't use compression because I'm destroying God's articulations.
-- I don't use HPF's because I'm destroying God's articulations.
-- Numerous other hypothetical fallacies ... please share.

Hypothetical Uber Duper Vox Techniques (for 2010):
-- Vox and vox alone will make or break your song.
-- Classic Rock emotives and performance driven bellows are becoming histerical and vain!
-- The mixing sequencer and mixing artist is the vocalist's best strategy source.
-- I can take any vox with 5-10 minutes of vocal coaching (tuning) and use it.
-- Stellar vocs are a fallacy.  The gift you/I are born with are ample enough.  E.g., YoyoFactory and Tony may state their vocals aren't ample ... but they manage to outdo themselves with vox perfection ... as well as charisma and vibe. 
-- Melodyne Editor is my best girl-friend ... she never criticizes me ... she brings out the pomp and pride of my narcissism without embarrasing me.
-- If you/I don't have backing vocs in the studio you can easily create them with Melodyne Editor:
-- For a girly alto vox: Go up an octave ... take the formant up another 4 semitones+/-.  TBH, My 7 y/o daughter (Joy) can't tell my vox from hers!
-- For a negro-bass vox: Do the opposite (downward)
-- Your/my vox is a lovely and beautiful thing to work with. 
-- You/I deserve the best pre with compressor/EQ set in advance for getting that perfect take or 2.  (The Avalon is better than the Neve)
-- Most of us are timid and don't like to sing in public.  Learn to sing and hum all day in public and private.
-- Try bellowing LOUD and taking it down from there ... during your/my feeble takes. 
-- Bellowing and whispering are both beautiful ... and lots in-between.
-- Sing/record ad-hoc ... without reading from anything!  Yeh!  We know!
-- Keep lyrics HOT!  Angry, crying, pitiful, dramatic, sensitive, defensive, legato, and/or crazy.  Go out on the limb and stay there!
-- Forget the old school larnyx-diaphram limitations ... they don't necessarily apply to your/my desperado games. 
-- Be (vox) sample driven ... not performance driven.   I don't care how well I can act like a hypocrite.  So the sweet and cool vox samples make your/my mix
-- Be hyper-articulate and coherent at least 80% of the time.  Keep some of the plosives and sibs.  Enhance these in children's and female vocs.
-- The vox signal chain ... the *best possible* for your/my genre.  It's such vanity and vexation to constantly use exquisite volume/gain envelopes ...
-- Know your compressor settings on both the pre and on the sequencer.
-- Use beatz and/or chord progressions to ad-hoc your/my lyrics and melodies.
-- As in a painting, the vox sketch must retain its freshness.
post edited by Philip - 2010/08/13 15:27:08

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501

7 Replies Related Threads

RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    Re:Uber Duper VOX 2010/08/13 16:04:13 (permalink)
    Oh Philip...don't think so much.

BTW, you're one of the nicest and most interesting personalities on the forum.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Uber Duper VOX 2010/08/13 16:51:47 (permalink)
    WHAT?

Are you crazy or something?  Didn't take your meds today?

My thoughts on Vox.... God gives some more than others.... but even the best need to work on their gift.

Some people should not sing in public. Plain and simple.

If you can sing but are not hitting it perfectly, and you can afford melodyne... use it.  No shame there.

All the rest...does it even matter?

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    Re:Uber Duper VOX 2010/08/13 19:16:20 (permalink)

Daughter said to dad, What's a singer? Someone at school said they were
    talking to they're great grandma and she was making a dress (Oh how do you do
    that too?)  Anyway, this person said they looked at this thing making all this noise
    and it had "Singer" written on the side of it.

So dad? what does making a dress have to do with singing? Oh my little
    one, your great grandma used to sing too as she made dresses. Well dad?
    why is a noisy machine called "singing". Well my dear it's because (today)
    they use "melodine".

O.K? but my friend at school said her great grandma said "melodine" was
    when she and her husband would sit down and enjoy a quite meal at home.

post edited by jimmyman - 2010/08/13 19:26:55
    Philip
    Re:Uber Duper VOX 2010/08/13 21:03:25 (permalink)
    LOL!

I'm a podiatrist, so I'm apt to think diagnosis and prognosis ... subjective, objective, assessment, and plan.  Political correctness is not my thing ... pop music is ... both old and new.

Btw, in church I would never tell someone not to sing in public, despite her blatant pitch embarrassments!  I'd tell her the opposite, sing to God, just rejoice, and join the choir!  You'd must get used to singing in public!  That's gonna be the affair anyway, sooner or later I'm afraid.  (I think I'm biblical and loving in this)

Unfortunately, Vox-techniques, I dread, deserve horrendous attention ... much more than chorus and verse and other quaint niceties.  Vox will always rule the pop music world.  Guitar, piano, orchestra, etc. won't succeed as well.  I only touched the tip of the wild truth.

Fortunately, we can ponder new vox hypotheses.  I bet others here ponder great vox ideas, too.  The vox-craft is getting very interesting.  Its getting sweeter and more beautiful than ever!

Middleman, you inspired and/or precipitated this thread.  I hope you chime in a little and clear the clouds a bit.

(Well I'd better get working on vox techniques)

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Uber Duper VOX 2010/08/14 10:00:38 (permalink)
    Remember the Andy Griffith show where Aunt Bea wanted to sing a solo in the choir?  Everyone knew the obvious but didn't wish to hurt her feelings by telling her the truth....(aren't we supposed to speak truth seasoned by grace?) .....Aunt Bea didn't seem to know it.....

the Psalm says "make a joyful noise unto the Lord" ..... some do this...literally.  At our church...to sing on stage, you must be "in the choir" and even then you must audition for the solo part. No walkups or surprises allowed..... singers who can generally hold pitch can sing solo's...the rest....."NO!".

I don't recall the details of the Mayberry incident with Bea... but I think it was resolved in classic Mayberry fashion to everyone's satisfaction.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    Re:Uber Duper VOX 2010/08/14 10:41:02 (permalink)

oops I posted before I wrote, I'll try again
    post edited by jimmyman - 2010/08/14 10:42:25
    Philip
    Re:Uber Duper VOX 2010/08/14 14:28:24 (permalink)
    ... but I myself (+ family) avoid any church that forbids aspiring choir members ... That church may have a special place in hell, I don't know.  I'm convinced that stinks in God's nostrils and have left one of those type of churches because of it (a Charismatic one, ironically).

A strong fallacy/vanity of denouncing another person's public vox is that every person sings when they talk, groan, laugh, cry, scream, etc.! 

And 98% of talking/singing/hymns may be gossip-vanity anyway.  Or

Or, I'd tell Christ not to sing publicly after the Lord's supper, nor groan in the garden of olives ... or on the cross ... because Christ's vox isn't Tennesee Temple quality.  Ouch!

Hypothetically, every voc has its place: political, pop, heaven, etc.

Philip  

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1