In Your Face Vocals

Author
EasTexGuy
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 160
2010/08/14 17:02:10 (permalink)

In Your Face Vocals

What is the secret to getting clear crisp in your face vocals yet wet enough to push it into the mix without the barrel-sounding reverb. I've almost got it using delay and a tiny amt of reverb... but still lacking either skills or a process. ???

My Rig: Sonar X1 Studio - Vista 32 on AMD Quad Core @ 3ghz w/4 gig ram - Lexicon Lambda - Assorted Nuts, Bolts & Plugins - More Talent on order as well.

7 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:In Your Face Vocals 2010/08/14 18:51:42 (permalink)
    Recording.  If it ain't right on capture, it is going to be hard to "fix it in the mix."   Mic, premap, effects and convertor.  Once the vox in in the box, a lot of it is volume - and vol control w/in the song.  Ride the automation to keep it above the rest of the song - but not too much.  I also find the Sonitus comp set on 1176 and tweeked helps sit the vox nicely. 

And if you have some nice hardware it is worthwhile to run the vocals through it post recording.  I'm reviewing the RND Portico II and I can't tell you how good my humble little home studio sounds through it.  Bass, vocals (even my non-technical wife could hear teh difference).  Of course, that is going in these days but I've rerouted some things and it makes them sound just as good.

REverb/delay is like adding a little salt to your steak after it is put on the table.  Delay is good instead, esp. on a busy mix.  Gives the appearance of depth without filling up all the holes.  And back off the reverb if you use it.  Try a convolution reverb w/ a plate and turn it down to about -20% ratio.  If you hear it - it is too much.  When you mute it you should feel the diff.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:In Your Face Vocals 2010/08/14 19:37:04 (permalink)
    In your face I think is a combination of two things - high level with respect to the rest of the song, and low amount of reverb. First one is easy to achieve, second one you need to record in an acoustically dead (or near dead) space. This will bring the vocal forward in the mix. So lots of acoustic panels of blankets. Proximity effect could help if that's what you are looking for -might start to sound like a radio presenter then though. Vocal layering could help as well. Adequately compressed dynamics - if it fluctuates too much it's only going to be in your face sometimes.

In your face can mean a few different things though. Do you have a particular song in mind that you wish to replicate the vocals of?

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:In Your Face Vocals 2010/08/14 22:02:16 (permalink)
    For vocals that shine and are upfront and crisp..... it all starts with the mic. Use a good quality mic that will pick all the nuances in your voice. A good level going in to the software is mandatory. A nice interface will have clean pre-amps that allow this to happen.

I tend to record with out adding any sort of FX to the vox track.  Good mic technique will assure an even level going in. I do not use envelopes on my vocal tracks at all. I shoot for a good take, and if I screw up I will delete the track....the clip... or the section that contains the glitch and do it again or on occasions... punch in. Vocals are easy to fix due to the sections of silence between the phrases.  I will also normalize the track as a whole to bring the levels up.

Once I get to this point... I will now insert some FX.... I have a cakewalk ParaQ  that was customized and saved for my vox. I also have a dark plate that is similar. I turn it down to about 15% , the key is enough to add space but not enough to be obnoxious.......  I insert both into the track.

I insert O4 into the master buss and that puts some polish on the whole track.

The key to sparkling vox that set up front..(IMHO) is to have the lows rolled off so they are not booming and muddy, scoop the mids a bit to open the sound up, now, on the highs.... you need enough to make it sparkle and be crisp but not to the point where you get sibilance and harshness. When the EQ and verb is right, then you put the track in the mix.... depending on the genre. Country and CCM tend to be more upfront than rock......

People will give all sorts of advice..... listen to it, learn from the advice.... but the only real way is to apply it to your work....experiment, and keep working. It will take time on the DAW to get it right.

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/08/14 22:04:22

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:In Your Face Vocals 2010/08/14 23:22:33 (permalink)
    If you are talking about the kind of vocals on very recent modern pop albums, a lot of it is automation and compression. First it's crushed to a fairly uni-volume level, then someone goes through and automates the crap out of the volume so that they can place every single syllable where they want it relative to the music. It's very artificial these days. The mixes are dense and highly compressed, so the vocal has to be very highly compressed as well to compete and heavily autmated to put it just so.

Obviously there are less hamfisted things you can do as well, such some of the stuff mentioned above. But, for the current day sound of pop music, I think you can forget about capturing anything like that naturally. It's not a naturalistic style.
    Other very artificial schemes are doubling, tripling, etc... And then either manually or using tools, editing those extra parts so that they are dead on behind the main part (which was also probably heavily edited and tuned and time corrected.) Any doubled vocal part automatically starts to get a nice shimmer and movement to it, even ones that are done by actual human beings. But these days it's often taken far beyond that.
    post edited by droddey - 2010/08/14 23:24:15

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    EasTexGuy
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 160
    Re:In Your Face Vocals 2010/08/15 06:56:12 (permalink)
    Thanks guys! You've given me exactly what I wanted to know... and exactly what I didn't want to hear. Matt, and example of what I've been trying to accomplish is the "It's Entertainment" cd from Celtic Thunder especially George's songs/voice. The music is mixed nice but the voice just fills the space. You can hear the echos/verb but it doesn't detract and you can hear him breathe without noticing it. ;-) What I didn't want to hear was, "There ain't no magic potion." Still, no stranger to hard work here and I'll give all this a try in the process...  well, as far as the wallet will take me. How much for a soundproof booth these days? @_@

No Drodddey, I'm so far down the food chain on vocal talent that my three dogs stop and stare when I join them in a howling session. Mostly what I (we-wife) try to do is Folk, Contemporary Christian & Country. It's a simpler life.

I too record the vocal with no FX. I suppose in the analogy of salt & pepper, if you know exactly what you're going to get then adding spice to the piece before grilling is better than adding later. While I do consider myself a good griller ^_^ some skills just don't translate. :-/

Thanks again for all your insight. I really do appreciate it!
    ETG

My Rig: Sonar X1 Studio - Vista 32 on AMD Quad Core @ 3ghz w/4 gig ram - Lexicon Lambda - Assorted Nuts, Bolts & Plugins - More Talent on order as well.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:In Your Face Vocals 2010/08/15 14:56:18 (permalink)
    Be sure to post some of your music in teh music forum.... When we listen to what you are doing, it is so much easier to say...Hey, you need to cut, or boost or remove the verb...or whatever.... this is how we help each other learn.

Some people are quite good at listening to a song and nailing the crits dead on to right. If you pay attention, and learn from the advice..... you can improve quickly.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:In Your Face Vocals 2010/08/15 20:26:42 (permalink)
    1 word:

Pre-Amp

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1