File cleaning question

Author
silvercn
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1238
2010/08/14 17:39:36 (permalink)

File cleaning question

Hi - form my  "My Windows" screen I am looking over files to clean out and came across a gigantic list of "Tool copy" (WAV) files such as "Tool Copy of take 3"  which is a WAV file and several other "takes" like this and their dates are somewhat old. I am not certain if these "Tool Copies" which if I recall represent edited copies of clips are actaully still part of a finished project - or if they can go??? I can listen to them (they have the Real Player icon on each). 

Just below this list is another huge list of "Tool Copy..and then several digits...which are WOV files / Pict cache. Can these go ????

Thanks

3 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:File cleaning question 2010/08/14 19:48:01 (permalink)
    Silver, use the CWAF in SONAR to delete all unused audio clips. PLease please please make sure you back your projects up before doing this.

Yea, the Pic cache contents can be deleted. Sonar will just make new wav files when you load the project. Its good to clean this folder out verso often.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    larrymcg
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1310
    Re:File cleaning question 2010/08/15 13:09:07 (permalink)
    In my experience the "Tool Copy..." files are from CoolEdit2000.  CoolEdit was from Syntrillium which was bought by Adobe quite a few years ago.  CoolEdit resurfaced, presumably in a more wonderful form, as Adobe Audition.  I still use CoolEdit so I don't know but Audition might also use the "Tool Copy...." names. 

I was amazed recently to see that some of my SHS7 projects were referencing Tool Copy... files.  That never happened with PA9.

In any case, as Cj says, CWAF is the way to find what is referenced and not referenced.
    And the WOV files in the picture cache can be deleted whenever you want.
    You do want to make sure that CWAF can find all your projects and the relevant WAV files.  Otherwise you might come up with a lot of orphaned and/or missing files when they actually are not.

--Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
    larrymcg
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1310
    Re:File cleaning question 2010/08/15 13:14:51 (permalink)
    Also, PA9 and Sonar have an AUD.INI file that specifies where the Picture cache is located and how big it can get.  I typically have a disk or parts of a disk that I do not back up.  I change the AUD.INI file (edit with Notepad) to put the picture cache in that area and set its max size to something like 500MB.  Sonar is supposed to delete old WOV files whenever it need more room for new WOV files.
    --Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1