Where in the world does the midi out connect to??? Can you do more with Midi??

Author
Victoria C
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 37
2010/08/14 23:16:21 (permalink)

Where in the world does the midi out connect to??? Can you do more with Midi??

I purchased a profire audio interface I usually record with my keyboard in an audio format however when I uploaded into sonar I noticed that with midi you can do way more!! So I connected my keyboard to the profire I can see where it recorded what I played  however when I went to playback it I couldnt hear it my profire 610 has an midi out and I could get another midi cable but what would I connect it to my monitors do not have a midi in nor out its only RCA and 1 inch TRS..Also can I not quantize a drum audio file? When I tried it was no change, so does that mean only midi can be quanitized, Can I record my vocals in midi or should I just stick with audio, I know it sounds like alot of Can I's??? But these questions will in fill in loop holes for me

Thanx!!

8 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Where in the world does the midi out connect to??? Can you do more with Midi?? 2010/08/14 23:22:31 (permalink)
    you treat audio and midi as 2 separate entities .. think of midi.. like the driver of the car.. and the audio from it as the car itself. without your interaction .. the car doesn't do anything

when you say audio , you mean audio generated from midi via either the music keybard or virtual instruments..

midi out , was to complete the circuit if you had a keyboard with sounds ..i.e. in<>out and visa versa.

to send the notes to sonar.. you need the midi in...

say you have a sound module that , to send it program changes you need the midi out..

hopefully thats clearer

yes midi can be quantised.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Tips/GS/Desktop.aspx
    post edited by Fog - 2010/08/14 23:24:41
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:Where in the world does the midi out connect to??? Can you do more with Midi?? 2010/08/14 23:27:41 (permalink)
    "...Can I record my vocals in midi..."

--As Fog tried to capsulize, MIDI and Audio are two completely different things.  No you can't record your vocals in MIDI--vocals are captured with a microphone.  MIDI is captured via a controller like a keyboard.  You can record your keyboard's MIDI output and do a million things with it in Sonar.  It's "just" data about notes which can be played back from a Sonar track either back through your keyboard, or through any soft synth available to you.

And now it's time to click "Help" in Sonar and start doing the tutorials that explain all this thoroughly.

Have fun, Victoria!

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    Victoria C
    Re:Where in the world does the midi out connect to??? Can you do more with Midi?? 2010/08/15 00:25:53 (permalink)
    Thanx so much guys!! However midi is giving me a headache it wont playback nor will it record in am I doing somthing wrong??? My keyboard doesnt have any drivers its general midi and I checked the general midi under track and properties
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Where in the world does the midi out connect to??? Can you do more with Midi?? 2010/08/15 00:58:28 (permalink)
    Well MIDI is just Data, so you won't record audio with just MIDI. You need a soft synth in sonar or an outboard synth to process the MIDI data
    This may help you Victoria:

MIDI stands for Musical Instrument Digital Interface. Midi is a protocol that enables electronic instruments to communicate, control and sync to one another. MIDI's first claim to fame was that it allowed you to play multiple synths using just one keyboard controller. It became very popular and became the industry standard. The perfectly timed robotic sequences that midi creates and can sync to drum machines helped create the sound of the 80's (god help us).

The midi signal doesn't carry any audio data. Midi carries specific details of events that relate to notes. The information that is carried can control the type of instrument, pitch, duration, volume, attack, decay, etc. that is specified in the midi. Each midi channel corresponds to a different instrument or voice.

Midi has a defined list of sounds/patches. Its called General Midi (GM). GM has a standard set of 128 sounds. General midi doesn't define the way the sound will be reproduced. It only names that sound. Meaning that each manufacturer can provide their sounds that is an acceptable representation of the data written for general midi. Midi contains 16 channels and of those 16 channels, only channel 10 is reserved for percussion or drum sounds.
    Also, do the tutorials included in Sonar for soft synths

CJ

post edited by CJaysMusic - 2010/08/15 01:01:39

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Where in the world does the midi out connect to??? Can you do more with Midi?? 2010/08/15 07:11:43 (permalink)
    At tweakheadz.com you'll find lots of well written guides about anything related to music recording and effects etc. I warmly recommend. They are written so that you don't need a degree to understand them. I found a lot of useful info there when I was starting with the new genertion of home recording gear and software.

Naturally, the answers to most of your questions can also be found in the SONAR manual (a pdf-file on the DVD, about 1500 pages), and especially the tutorials there are a useful source of knowledge. Like the one about using soft synths, which task you have under work now. 

Finding answers to specific questions isn't the only good reason to study the manual. Even bigger thing for a newcomer is to find out what you can actually do with your software. You can't learn it with one reading, of course, but you get a "marker" in your memory:"Hm...I remember this being mentioned...it can/cannot be done."

I wish you enjoyable hours with your music!

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Where in the world does the midi out connect to??? Can you do more with Midi?? 2010/08/15 07:52:11 (permalink)
    Victoria C

Thanx so much guys!! However midi is giving me a headache it wont playback nor will it record in am I doing something wrong??? My keyboard doesn't have any drivers its general midi and I checked the general midi under track and properties

A midi track has an input and an output. If you're using a keyboard connected to your Profire 610, and it is installed correctly, then the Profire 610 will be listed as both an audio device and a midi device. In the INPUT of a MIDI track, select the Profire 610 midi device. Unless you want to record a specific midi channel (there are 16) leave it as OMNI. That means it will record on any midi channel it receives. Arm the midi track and hit the record button in Sonar and, if your keyboard is correctly sending midi information, the midi track will record the midi data your keyboard is sending.

Now, you can either PLAY the midi track/s back through your keyboard by choosing the Profire 610 as the OUTPUT device in a midi track (connect the Profire 610 MIDI OUT to your Keyboard's MIDI IN), or you can use a soft synth to play back the data. Soft (software) synths require both midi data as input and an AUDIO track as output, or you can't hear the sounds.

If you use your keyboard as a midi track's output watch out for midi data loops. That is where the midi data keeps circulating through the midi ins and outs. If your Keyboard's Midi out also acts as a Midi THRU it can get ugly. If it does that I would suggest disabling that feature on your keyboard if possible.

One easy way to do this is to INSERT SOFT SYNTH and insert the Cakewalk TTS-1. It is a 16 channel GM (general midi) soft synth. It is perfect for playing back any midi file you download from the internet. When you insert the synth, a dialog box with different options will open. If you want the synth to play multiple channels at the same time, check off FIRST SYNTH AUDIO OUTPUT.

That will do two things. It will insert the synth into your synth rack and also create an audio track with the synth as its INPUT. Then you can insert your midi tracks and make the output of the midi track the TTS-1. In each midi track set the channel (1-16), bank and patch that you want to play. This will allow you to both play the soft synth with your keyboard live and playback the midi track through the soft synth.

There are several more options and this is a very, very basic sketch of how you can record/playback midi. Look in your help files under Soft Synths for more detailed information. It's a good place to start. Don't expect to learn it all in one day and don't let yourself get frustrated when you don't. Learning midi/audio recording is a process and if you can learn one new thing every day then it won't belong before you have it licked.
    post edited by Chappel - 2010/08/15 08:00:10
    Victoria C
    Re:Where in the world does the midi out connect to??? Can you do more with Midi?? 2010/08/15 10:19:55 (permalink)
    You guys are such a blessing All of you were so right!!! Oh and um yeah its amazing how reading the manual and tutorials can put the pieces together..lol thanx again!!! 
    Widetrack
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 310
    Re:Where in the world does the midi out connect to??? Can you do more with Midi?? 2010/08/15 12:34:14 (permalink)
    Here some basic concepts to get you started.

Audio is sound, transmitted over electrical devices.
    MIDI is a computer language designed to allow synthesizers like your keyboard to communicate with each other and with computers.
    The MIDI Out of your keyboare goes to the MIDI In of your profire. The profire connects to the computer (probably by USB).
    The MIDI Out of the profire connects to the MIDI In of your keyboard. (This is assuming your keyboard has its own sounds. If it doesn't, you need to get a hardware synth or use Sonar's softsynths. If you use a hardware synth, the MIDI Out of the profire goes to the synth’s MIDI In.

To get Sonar to help here, you must set up each track to record and play back. Read the introductory stuff in the Sonar help file.

Good discussions of soft synths above.

You record MIDI by playing your keyboard while Sonar is recording a track. Sonar records the MIDI data you generate. When you play back what you recorded, Sonar sends the recorded data to whatever synth is connected, and which you’ve chosen in the Sonar track you’ve recorded to. This essentially re-plays the performance you recorded on whatever synth you send it to

To get sound from a MIDI synth, you have to:

1. Connect its “line out” to an amp + speakers or to powered speakers.
    2. Send it MIDI data by playing back a track in Sonar, or by playing your keyboard while Sonar is set up to send the data this generates back to your controller or to another synth.

These are simple  basics that should get you started.

You also need to understand MIDI Channels, setting up the inputs and outputs of Sonar tracks, and the patience of Job.

The Help file in Sonar is an excellent source of info. Read it and learn what you read.

Good luck

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1