Using Sonar to create censored DVD?

Author
HyperBoy2519
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
2010/08/15 02:29:34 (permalink)

Using Sonar to create censored DVD?

Hi everyone. My situation is as follows. I work in a store where we are allowed to run the store's music system through the DVD player as opposed to the terrible company radio. Naturally we cannot have any foul language on the player as we are a family oriented store. Now in my searches I have located a few concerts that I feel would be awesome to listen to during our work hours but naturally they have the lead singer cussing all over the place. What I am looking for is a guide or instructions on how (if it is possible) to somehow censor these words out with a beep or a simple audio volume dropout (what I would prefer) and then burn them to a DVD. The video files are currently in .avi, the other I have to rip from a DVD. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

7 Replies Related Threads

rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:Using Sonar to create censored DVD? 2010/08/15 02:36:32 (permalink)
    "...naturally they have the lead singer cussing all over the place..."

Sure, "naturally" lead singers always "cuss all over the place."--- What an odd thing to say.

Import the Avi into Cakewalk, and drop out the audio every time you want, and then export again.  Burn with whatever program you have.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    HyperBoy2519
    Re:Using Sonar to create censored DVD? 2010/08/15 02:42:32 (permalink)
    I just meant that the best concerts always had to be ruined by language. a "so close yet so far" type of thing. I will give that a shot. Thank you for your quick response.
    itsmeRG
    Re:Using Sonar to create censored DVD? 2010/08/15 15:34:19 (permalink)
    Maybe THAT'S why I do instrumentals!

That Sonar avi import solution is a great piece of information to have though! Does Sonar have any edit options for the video part of the file or are there just audio options?

GUITAR ... AND PLENTY OF IT

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/RICHIEGRIMES
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    Re:Using Sonar to create censored DVD? 2010/08/15 15:39:30 (permalink)
    There aren't any AVIs on a DVD. Mpeg2 is the format you need for DVD.
    post edited by 10Ten - 2010/08/15 15:41:02
    Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Using Sonar to create censored DVD? 2010/08/15 18:45:17 (permalink)
    HyperBoy2519

Hi everyone. My situation is as follows. I work in a store where we are allowed to run the store's music system through the DVD player as opposed to the terrible company radio. Naturally we cannot have any foul language on the player as we are a family oriented store. Now in my searches I have located a few concerts that I feel would be awesome to listen to during our work hours but naturally they have the lead singer cussing all over the place. What I am looking for is a guide or instructions on how (if it is possible) to somehow censor these words out with a beep or a simple audio volume dropout (what I would prefer) and then burn them to a DVD. The video files are currently in .avi, the other I have to rip from a DVD. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Is it really worth the effort? Just stick with Donnie and Marie and you'll be fine.

Craig DuBuc
    itsmeRG
    Re:Using Sonar to create censored DVD? 2010/08/15 19:27:56 (permalink)
    WOW! Straight fours on that last post Crg.  Could be some new gear in that number! It might just lose a buck too. Your call.

Hyper, Sounds like whatever bands you're considering have presented their fan with the situation where he can't play their music to an expanded audience ... the shoppers who come into the store each day. They could've had some additional marketing. I might just choose other artists DVDs in that situation too. Is there a DVD remote with a mute button there?

I like the instrumental stuff as well as some other stuff.
    Just to give you some options, seven really good (to me!) concert DVDs that come to mind are ...
    Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival (there are 2 of these from different years)
    Jeff Beck - Performing This Week - Live at Ronnie Scott's
    Stevie Ray Vaughan Live at the El Macombo
    Joe Satriani: Satriani Live!
    G3-Live in Denver (Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen)
    Allman Brothers Band - Live at the Beacon Theater

....... I'm really into lead guitar stuff

I don't think that there is anything that needs to be beeped out of any of them.

I still need to check out the other G3 DVDs.

If there's a way to do what you want, I'd like to hear about it.
    I try to be careful about concert vids or CDs that may have inappropriate content when kids are around and there is so much that this program does, I'd be happy to have anyone explain a function I haven't used yet!  Is it possible to make a complilation disc of favorite DVD concert footage yet?

I haven't looked into the video tools of Sonar at all.

Anyone,   So what I've put together so far is that as long as it's in Mpeg2, I'd be able to transfer old band VHS footage and EQ and Master the audio and export a better sounding video for DVD and Sonar does import Mpeg2. Is all of that correct?

post edited by itsmeRG - 2010/08/15 20:39:57

GUITAR ... AND PLENTY OF IT

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/RICHIEGRIMES
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Using Sonar to create censored DVD? 2010/08/15 22:02:20 (permalink)
    My situation is as follows. I work in a store where we are allowed to run the store's music system through the DVD player as opposed to the terrible company radio.

Let me know what store it is so I can avoid going to it. I can't stand going into a store and having to listen to crappy music. Give peace a chance!

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1