PX-64 Percussion Strip - repeatable problem - losing settings on restart???

Author
cdaforsyth
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
2010/08/15 13:06:33 (permalink)

PX-64 Percussion Strip - repeatable problem - losing settings on restart???

What is it with these great new 64bit plugins?  First, I tried using the LP-64 Multiband compressor last night for the first time, and it was terrible - introduced crackling and sounded like an old vinyl record playing with lots of static.  No matter how i configured it - and half the time when I'd start the song playing, there would be no sound.  When I deleted the compressor, all the problems stopped

NOW....I am using the PX64 Percussion strip...which gives great results...except that every time I load the project up - the percussion tracks are WAY over - like 12 to 15 over on the meters...they're way loud.  The only way I have found to restore everything to it's previously working condition, is to open the percussion strip, change to another preset, and change back to the preset I saved.  Then things work again.

This is really frustrating.  I know it is not my system resources....that much is for sure.  I have Sonar 8.5, Win 7 64bit, 8gb ram, a Core2 Quad CPU 2.83GHz, plenty of storage space, everything on seperate drives as recommended....i'm pretty sure it isnt the computer, because it is only these specific plugins that are giving me problems.

Any suggestions?  Any help ideas?  Should I just call Cakewalk on this?  Any cakewalk people on this board?

Off to try and use the vocal strip....wtih hopefully better luck.

Thanks,
Chris

4 Replies Related Threads

rmorter
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 59
    Re:PX-64 Percussion Strip - repeatable problem - losing settings on restart??? 2010/08/15 18:57:26 (permalink)
    Just a note - I too had a repeatable problem with the percussion strip (it doesn't save settings when entered by typing the values). I contacted help, they verified it and told me to submit a bug report (still don't know why I was asked to do their job for them), and then the bug report team said it wasn't a bug and to contact the help desk, giving me the same email address for the people that told me to submit the bug report. I gave up, once again, on getting much of anywhere with cakewalk support. I've had two good experiences from them: 1) help with getting Dimension Pro to work (although it still left me questioning their installer in the first place), 2) giving me a license to use the cakewalk MP3 encoder directly from Sonar after I've purchased it for Pyro and Audio Creator.

This doesn't help you much but I feel better getting to vent again!

Thanks,

Randy Morter 

Band - http://www.poppavein.com/
    Me - http://www.randymorter.com/

Sonar X2 Producer ( 64 bit ) 
    Win 7 64 Bit
    HP e9120y w/ AMD Phenom Quad Core, 2.6GHz, 8G DDR3 RAM, 1T / 5400 RPM system, apps, backup HD, 500G 7200 RPM recording HD, PreSonus FireStudio Project
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:PX-64 Percussion Strip - repeatable problem - losing settings on restart??? 2010/08/15 19:03:42 (permalink)
    cdaforsyth

Any suggestions?  Any help ideas?  Should I just call Cakewalk on this?  Any cakewalk people on this board?

Off to try and use the vocal strip....wtih hopefully better luck.

Thanks,
    Chris

There are staff around Chris, but office hours a lot of times.. remember here is  not an official way to contact them.. try the form or call them http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Contact.aspx

. After all when you buy the product thats what your partly paying for (support).

also you don't state important details, like what card and what mode it is.. seemingly little things, but they all are part of the equation.

cdaforsyth
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:PX-64 Percussion Strip - repeatable problem - losing settings on restart??? 2010/08/16 03:03:41 (permalink)
    Great point:
    Presonus Firestudio Project / ASIO
    Thanks,
    Chris
    Red Shirt Guy
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re:PX-64 Percussion Strip - repeatable problem - losing settings on restart??? 2010/08/16 06:52:40 (permalink)
    cdaforsyth, I've had the same experience using the LP-64 Multiband compressor.  I have the PreSonus FireStudio Mobile (which I love).

What I did was increase my buffers (and latency), which solved the problem completely for me.  In Universal Control, I set Save Mode 1 and 512 buffer, then increased the buffers in SONAR.

From the help page:

Cakewalk LP-64 Multiband Compressor Overview
    Look-ahead and Latency

The LP-64 Multiband Compressor uses look-ahead peak detection to reduce the gain just before a peak. "Look-ahead" means the limiter analyzes the audio input ahead of time by delaying the output. Like many mastering linear-phase plug-ins, the LP-64 Multiband Compressor requires a fairly large look-ahead--on the order of 20 milliseconds. This typically does not present a problem as mastering tools are most often utilized in post-production work.

Hope that helps!

Gordon.
    post edited by Red Shirt Guy - 2010/08/16 06:54:54
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1