EQing single violin - advice from Headway Music Audio

Author
jhughs
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1179
2010/08/15 21:04:30 (permalink)

EQing single violin - advice from Headway Music Audio

I've generally haven't had much luck finding EQ advice for violin, so when I stumbled on this advice in the instructions for "The Band" (a piezo pickup for strings by www. headwaymusicaudio.com) I thought it'd be nice to share.

"..violin problem areas to consider cutting lie between 2-5kHz and between 800-950Hz.  This Upper Mid/Presence – low Treble area may need a little rolling off.  The other obvious problem areas to cut are the potentially problematic frequencies below the fundamental of your bottom string.  If you cut this area you will cut body handling noise, boom, and maybe some residual hum and boxiness, as well as low end feedback.  If required you may cut below this area as follows:
Violin :  200Hz
Viola  :  120 Hz
Cello   :   60Hz "

I haven't tried this yet, but will be recording a violin solo part and working on the mix over the next couple of weeks.

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150 & AMPLIFI, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick

3 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:EQing single violin - advice from Headway Music Audio 2010/08/17 19:18:12 (permalink)
    Those are reasonable starting points, but it really depends entirely on the sample. There is no single EQ formula that works equally well for any instrument, just as there is none for any microphone or voice.

For the orchestral shootout, I did a rendition with Miroslav Philharmonik. I had just acquired the library at the time we began the project, so I was still feeling my way around in it. The first problem I encountered was the violins had an annoying screechiness to them that was particularly troublesome in this piece. I treated it using the standard method for identifying the most audible resonances in a sound source, the swept high-Q filter.

What I did was loop on the most annoying section of the song, soloing the violin. I inserted an instance of the Sonitus EQ, enabled one bandpass filter, set its Q to 0.5 and the gain as high as could go. I started about where my ear told me the screech was centered and started moving the filter's midpoint up and down until I had achieved the absolute worst possible, painful-sounding violin. I slowly widened the filter until further widening stopped making it sound worse. Then I inverted the filter and made it a -4db notch.

There were two frequencies I had to notch out, one at 450Hz and another at 3KHz. The 450Hz notch I kept narrow, the 3KHz notch was wider. But I might not use those exact settings for any old violin patch. It's specific to that particular sample, the formants and resonances of the sampled instrument, and to some extent this particular melody.

All acoustical instruments have resonances. Here is a graph showing the typical resonances in both the air and in the wood for a violin. Note the wood resonance at 440Hz. This may correspond to the 450Hz notch I had to put into the Miroslav violin sample, I don't really know.

If you want to get an idea just how complex a violin's sound is (and any other acoustical string instrument for that matter), here's an introduction to the subject. Note that in graph at the bottom of the page, the peak appears to be more like 300Hz rather than the 200Hz cited in your reference, and there appears to actually be a dip at 200Hz, so if your violin matches that example, notching 200Hz could actually be harmful.

post edited by bitflipper - 2010/08/17 19:22:28

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    jhughs
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1179
    Re:EQing single violin - advice from Headway Music Audio 2010/08/17 21:15:08 (permalink)
    Thanks Dave.  Yeah, I know there are no perfect formulas or presets, but I'd never heard or thought of that technique of expanding the Q until the sound doesn't become any more annoying then inverting it.  I like that.

I like those links too.  I wonder if that would help us the next time she's shopping for an instrument (record the open strings and compare them to the Strad) on a spectrum analyzer.  Of course there's more to it than that, but shopping for a violin is not a simple affair.

I hope to get around to comping the violing and working on the mix this weekend, so thanks for the tips.

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150 & AMPLIFI, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:EQing single violin - advice from Headway Music Audio 2010/08/17 22:41:16 (permalink)
    Ok, so get ready for a big piece of advie... eeeh eeeemmm.... what Bit said!

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1