Consistency of Volume in the whole CD- help!!!

Author
estebanworld
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 80
2010/08/16 12:32:03 (permalink)

Consistency of Volume in the whole CD- help!!!

Hello,  if there is already a post for this please redirect me. How can I get a consistency of volume on all the tracks of my cd? I don’t think that normalizing is the answer. A commercial CD has songs of different style and sounds , and even if you go from a “loud rock song” to the next track that is a “soft balad” you don’t feel a DROP IN VOLUME.

I have been mastering with Ozone 4, please help. Thanks!

20 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Consistency of Volume in the whole CD- help!!! 2010/08/16 13:28:18 (permalink)
    Two things:

1) Determine how you want the songs perceived. Do you really want them all at the same average volume or do you want some to be more loud or quite?

2) Listen and measure while making notes with regards to the relative levels along your playlist.

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Consistency of Volume in the whole CD- help!!! 2010/08/16 13:59:52 (permalink)
    this is why you hire a pro to master your serious projects.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Consistency of Volume in the whole CD- help!!! 2010/08/16 16:13:29 (permalink)
    Bat makes a good point.

However, if you must do it yourself.... let me rephrase that..... If I was doing an entire album/CD myself.... here's how I would do it.

Put them all into their own track in a new project. this way you have them side by side to compare volume and get it as well as the mastering with O4 alike.  My goal first off would be to set the levels of the tracks so they all played at the volume I thought was consistent for the CD. Once there, the next thing would be to apply O4 to get the same sound across all the tracks so it sounds like it was all recorded in the same place at the same time.

early on, I did notice that my sound and volume differed, sometimes wildly, from one song project to another. My stated goal was to achieve a consistency between songs that are recorded weeks even months apart, so that I can place them in the same CD and it sounds cohesive.

I actually think I get this level of quality now (or at least closer) and I do each track separately and at differing times. I do tend to use the same procedures and O4 settings on all my stuff, so that might be it.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Consistency of Volume in the whole CD- help!!! 2010/08/16 17:22:40 (permalink)
    I use pretty much the same method as Herb, although I've never used Ozone. Once all my tunes are mixed and exported as stereo WAV's, I open a new Sonar project, put them all in order on one track, get the gaps or cross fades right, then use clip gain envelopes to adjust relative volumes.

Then I put markers at the start of each tune, bounce the whole thing to one clip, and split at the marker points, so I can use 'no gap between songs' when burning to CD - the gaps are already there.

Once that's done, I start my rudimentary 'mastering', using multiband compression, eq, etc.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:Consistency of Volume in the whole CD- help!!! 2010/08/16 17:46:09 (permalink)
    Mike please dont shoot me but the the old VU meter is not a bad place to start. Even a good digital type plug could do it I think. (Blue Cat has got a nice average level graph which plots as the music plays as well as VU and peak)

I find when I get all the tracks just peaking up nicely to 0db VU you are a long way there. It is also true what Mike says about fine tuning the the individual tracks too. I have just finished an 8 track EP and once all the VU's were consistent I only needed to take one solo piano piece up about 1.5 db and it was all perfect.

A good test is the dinner party test. I play mastered albums during a dinner party and just keep a vague ear out for any tracks getting lost or being a tad too loud. It is amazing how something can stand out even over higher than normal background noise. The car test driving through the city is a good one too at a lowish level.

The silence time between tracks can be tweaked too.  After a fade out you dont need as much time to the next track but an abrupt ending might need a little longer before the next one starts.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    Re:Consistency of Volume in the whole CD- help!!! 2010/08/17 00:50:19 (permalink)
    The point from those above is that every song must be "pre-mastered" to relatively equal volumes before they are imported into the final cd authoring software. The less you do in the "master" stage, the better. Get each song mixed to as close to perfect in volume and eq as possible in their individual state, and then the master process is what it should be in the digital age....minimal.

Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Consistency of Volume in the whole CD- help!!! 2010/08/17 06:05:28 (permalink)
    It's amazing how many of use very similar techniqes when compiling an album.

I'm doing virtually the same thing as Herb & James - importing the stereo wavs into a new project (@ 32 bit), where hopefully their relative volumes are where they should be i.e. fixed in the mix.

Then it's just a case of fine tuning any volume adjustments and applying my "mastering" chain on the new master bus.

Adopting the K system at individual project level ceretainly helps to get the relative volumes in the right place.

Before that, they were all over the place.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    estebanworld
    Re:Consistency of Volume in the whole CD- help!!! 2010/08/20 16:38:03 (permalink)
    Does Sonar 8 have a UV meter? any free ones out there that work?
    estebanworld
    Re:Consistency of Volume in the whole CD- help!!! 2010/08/20 16:39:53 (permalink)
    What's the K system???
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Consistency of Volume in the whole CD- help!!! 2010/08/20 17:13:56 (permalink)
    estebanworld

What's the K system???

http://www.wikirecording.org/K_System

Does Sonar 8 have a UV meter? any free ones out there that work?

That's 'VU', unless you're measuring radiation..

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    estebanworld
    Re:Consistency of Volume in the whole CD- help!!! 2010/08/25 11:05:27 (permalink)
    HAHA thanks!
    sandyeric
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re:Consistency of Volume in the whole CD- help!!! 2010/09/05 20:48:38 (permalink)

I am NOT a Pro so what I have to say is very much just an opinion. I have had the same problem and the last CD I recorded of instrumentals (mine) had the same problem and was all over the map with levels. (Long before I had this new Sonar 8.5.3 and all the new gear i'm learning to use).
    If you look for the posts by Jeff Evans regarding the K system i think he pinpoints the issues that lead to final frenzy for mastering. I firmly believe that getting it right on the initial take is at least 80 - 90 % of the issue!
    I just bought the book "Mastering Audio" by Bob Katz and believe it documents the K system as it was initially HIS idea and system. If you look at the credits for Bob Katz, you will see that he is a guru of audiophile. No reason to think he doesn't know what he is talking about. certainly worth a $50 bill.
    You won't get the answers immediately but the answers you DO get will last you a lifetime.

Sandy

jsaras
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    Re:Consistency of Volume in the whole CD- help!!! 2010/09/17 10:51:20 (permalink)
    The K metering system is a good place to start.  Voxengo's free SPAN plugin has a K-metering option.  What I find to be even more accurate and practical is IK Multimedia's TrackS 3 Metering plugin.  It's the only budget plugin that has a "perceived loudness" meter.  I also insert a K-14 meter after that plugin to make double-sure my levels are where I want them to be.  Here's a YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2OFjLj4aho

The expensive option is Waves' Dorrough Meter Collection, but not many want to drop $500 for just meters. 

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
    EasTexGuy
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 160
    Re:Consistency of Volume in the whole CD- help!!! 2010/09/17 19:51:52 (permalink)
    mike_mccue

Two things:

1) Determine how you want the songs perceived. Do you really want them all at the same average volume or do you want some to be more loud or quite?

2) Listen and measure while making notes with regards to the relative levels along your playlist.

Right Arm! ...er On!  Never claimed to know much and learned a lot from listening over the years. Seems to me... that same principle works wonders when mixing/mastering music. The tech stuff and techniques... I got it... that only comes with time and error ...er practice, and the net and forums are full of ideas. All that being said, Mike split the log there. I've read a lot about SPLs and such, but it seems the tale always ends with perceived 'loudness'. A simple guitar/vocal ballad can 'sound' just as loud as any driving rock piece without near the same db level. (by my perception anyway) I think without training the ears to hear or perceive the same average volume amongst the songs the meters will do little more than show volume without reasoning. That may be a simpleton form of achieving an end but with a reference song I am able to achieve a balanced mix amongst our songs.

My Rig: Sonar X1 Studio - Vista 32 on AMD Quad Core @ 3ghz w/4 gig ram - Lexicon Lambda - Assorted Nuts, Bolts & Plugins - More Talent on order as well.
    Jeff Evans
    Re:Consistency of Volume in the whole CD- help!!! 2010/09/18 05:38:37 (permalink)
    jsaras the K system metering option inside SPAN is not that great unfortunately. It basically alters the scaling OK but the display still shows peak values. A true K system metering approach shows RMS not peak values. Something like the BlueCat Meter can do it and very well too. Unless you either get a set of decent (real) VU's or the hardware Dorrough would also be good.

You can only get accurate reading of K sytem levels if the K system meter is metering the final stereo buss of your mix. OK if you are doing ITB mixes. I use a digital mixer and send stems from Sonar over to the mixer. In my case the VU's are metering the main stereo buss of the digital mixer instead.

But as I have said in my previous post getting the VU's to show even levels right through an album goes a long way to getting all the tracks the same perceived volume. And as Mike has pointed out quite rightly too some tracks need to be tweaked up or down as the case may be.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    jsaras
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    Re:Consistency of Volume in the whole CD- help!!! 2010/09/18 10:20:32 (permalink)
    I use the K-metering on the UAD Precision Limiter. 

PSP's VintageMeter is a VU meter (also free).  It can be set up to be a K-14 meter by adjusting the controls on the back panel in this way: VU integr. time 600ms, the 0VU refer. level -14.0dBFS, the meter display left clicked to show -40 to +6.    

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Consistency of Volume in the whole CD- help!!! 2010/09/18 11:20:14 (permalink)
    My philosophy is to make sure I have consistent source material song to song.  Similar to Jeff's comment about each track peaking at 0, although that's not exactly how I do it.  I basically know how the Bass should behave at different volumes, the snare, vocals, etc.  By the time I'm done recording, the project is already "self" mixed so to speak.  My mastering settings are exactly the same for every song.   

If you make sure the individual source tracks are consistent song to song it will make it tremendously easier to get consistent song to song volumes.
    post edited by guitartrek - 2010/09/18 11:21:39
    Jeff Evans
    Re:Consistency of Volume in the whole CD- help!!! 2010/09/18 17:44:50 (permalink)
    guitartrek makes a good point.  And the reason why using a K system approach is so good is because it starts at track level. When you are tracking, getting levels right can be difficult, but if you use say a K -14 ref level then it is a simple matter to get the VU's to just peak to 0db while the signal is present. Not hard to do.

Next is mix level and if you stay at K -14 and you generate a series of mixes for an album, they will all be at K -14 which is also handy and makes the mastering much easier. So all the mixes will just hit 0 db on the VU's. (If I am mastering someone else's album and the mixes do vary, I firstly get them all to a K level to start)

I think you need to tweak track levels within an album someimtes. I just finished mastering a CD and there was a solo piano track out of 6 tracks in all. Even through the piano was hitting 0 db in the VU's I found it slightly quiet in the car while not paying attention much. (it was quite uncompressed as well, ie very natural dynamics) So I needed to pull the piano track up +1.5 db (and add some slight compression) and it was perfect then compared to the others. Another very compressed track also gave the right VU reading but needed to come down by about - 1.5 db and then all 6 were just great to listen to right through.

jsaras watch out adapting meters to read K levels that are not meant to do it. I have tried and failed at this. The 600 ms time constant is also a trap. A real VU meter has a 300 ms time constant. A slower time constant means it is moving slower and the average rms reading will be low compared to a 300 ms true time constant. Actually the Blue Cat defaults to 700 ms for some reason and I have to keep putting it back to 300 ms. The ballistics change closer to 300 ms and look similar to a real VU. But I still find the ballistics of the plugins, even though they might be proper K system ones and showing rms at 300 ms are not exactly the same as a mechanical meter (yet!)

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Consistency of Volume in the whole CD- help!!! 2010/09/20 04:48:38 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tip on the Blue Cat time constants Jeff.

I've been using the defaults since i installed it.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:Consistency of Volume in the whole CD- help!!! 2010/09/20 15:31:01 (permalink)
    One school of thought about CD mastering says that ballads don't need to be at the same volume as up tunes. You can however set the vocal (or instrumental lead) level to be consistant song to song, and let the backing tracks fall where they may. How dominant the vocal is in the mix can vary greatly between ballads and fast songs. Sometimes a gap that's longer from the default 2 seconds between songs can also prepare the listener to hear the quieter ballad after a louder up-tempo song. Alternatively, an immediate segways to the next track (no gap) can be an effective contrast.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1