Session Drummer 3 questions

Author
JazzSinger
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 895
2010/08/16 13:13:31 (permalink)

Session Drummer 3 questions

Sorry, repeat question, but I decided to start anew after Victoria's thread degenerated into chaos.

In my pre-Sonar days, I used a Roland drumbox (not very natural-sounding, but relatively quick)

In Sonar, so far I either recorded drummers live or I used my own personal drum sample sets in my Akai Z8 sampler (8 outs to mixer) and triggered that over MIDI, programmed as notes using the PRV pencil. Slow work!

I decided this weekend to move it all to Sonar only, using SD3, but with not much success. Unfortunately, the help for SD3 does not discuss how to use it in conjunction with Sonar.

Q1:
I first tried to use SD3's built-in step sequencer. I am familiar with this kind of interface. It works, but the result on the PRV was frozen; i.e. I wasn't able to subsequently move or resize the notes. Yet if I performed an undo and then put the notes on the PRV manually using the pencil, I WAS able to edit the notes!

Is this a known issue? Was I doing something wrong?

Q2:
Next I decided to set my own drum sound set in SD3.

The SD3 interface only allows a fixed selection of note numbers per drum; and you can only choose one at a time (right-click on instrument, select one variant only). So putting a snare sample, snare sidestick sample and a snare roll sample all on the one snare wasn't possible.

I thought of allocating some samples to the little pad, but I realized doing the same for the high-hat (open, half-open, edge+sticktip, edge+stickside, top, ...), would mean I'll run out of pads quick.

Is that really how SD3 is meant to be used?

Q3:
I intend to EQ each drum, and I read somewhere something about templates, so I looked but only found SD2 templates. I tried some but all the sounds come out of one "track" only.

Where are the templates for SD3?

(I found and read up on the drum maps and I think I understand that. But that seems only to handle the MIDI side.)

The way I'm doing it, SD3 is not helping. On the contrary, it limits me. Either it's meant for very simple setups or I just haven't understood it.

I was thinking of ditching SD3 altogether and try recreate my Akai Z8 setup using DimPro (I have a full license). But this may lead to other dead ends, so I'm reluctant now to continue without asking you more experienced users for some help.

Q4:
Is there a guideline somewhere on the Sonar DVDs to get me going in the right direction?

(I have a dialup internet connection and YouTube is blocked here, so online videos are no good for me.)
post edited by JazzSinger - 2010/08/16 13:15:05

1 Reply Related Threads

Stone House Studios
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3550
    Re:Session Drummer 3 questions 2010/08/16 15:20:32 (permalink)
    Lots of questions - so I'm going to do some chunking here!

Q1 - I believe that once you have created your stepsequencer pattern then you can "disengage" the step sequencer which would allow you to edit like a normal midi clip. That info is under help for the step sequencer. (I believe.)

Q2 - You can use the step sequencer to create patterns using every available note; you are not limited to the number of pads. The sample set dictates what is available.

Q3 - Eq belongs on the audio output - there are templates in Sonar - they are not SD specific.

Please find a way to see the new tutorial on SD3 on YouTube

Core i7-6700@3.40Ghz  Windows 10x64 16 GB RAM
    Sonar Platinum/Studio One     PreSonus Studio 192
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1