need new computer but have "old " hardware

Author
orangesporanges
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 342
2010/08/16 20:40:39 (permalink)

need new computer but have "old " hardware

I have an old P4  with 1 gig of ram and am running sonar 6.0 on  windows XP. I really want a new computer, but I am wary of buying a new system and installing an older OS. That seems like half a step forward instead of the giant leap I'd like. The problem is I have a midisport 8x8s and a m audio omni studio(PCI). The delta series drivers should work with omni. (although I tried some xp drivers and didn't exactly swoon over the user interface or metering,which are great in the omni). I really do use the 8x8 format for midi,so 4x4 really isn't the best option.I am also very happy with the omni studio. I'm interested in what others have done faced with a similar situation. Constructive advice would be appreciated.

14 Replies Related Threads

noldar12
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1075
    Re:need new computer but have "old " hardware 2010/08/16 23:34:13 (permalink)
    [<font]Unfortunately, M-Audio still has not released any 64 bit o/s drivers for the older Midisports.  The 8x8 has been discontinued now for a long time, and there are no drivers at all for it in either Vista or W7.

To get 8x8 (or 9x9) Midi ports within a W7 64 bit o/s, I think there are currently only two options.  1) I think MOTU still makes an 8x8 midi interface; 2) get three Cakewalk UM-3G's for 9x9 operation (about $90 each).  They are designed in such a way that you can run all three of them off of one USB port.  They are connected to each other via a daisy chain, and have dip switches that allow each unit's three Midi channels to be recognized separately.

Overall, there just are not as many choices as there used to be, as many who used to use a lot of hardware synths have moved on, and link computers using VE Pro, or similar type solutions.

I have used both a Motu 5x5 Ultralite, and a Cakewalk UM-3G myself.  Each has their weaknesses.  The Motu will sometimes completely lose sync through the USB port (fixed by unplugging, and replugging the Motu into its USB connection), and the UM-3G is a bit odd in how it displays Midi activity - it always shows the sync timing signal being active.

Between the two, my preferance so far lies with the UM-3G, as the losing sync with the Motu is the bigger issue, and the Midi timing of the UM-3G seems to be fine.

Jim
    RogerS
    • Total Posts : 330
    Re:need new computer but have "old " hardware 2010/08/17 01:24:30 (permalink)
    noldar12

Unfortunately, M-Audio still has not released any 64 bit o/s drivers for the older Midisports.  

M-Audio finally released 64-bit drivers (Vista and Windows 7) a couple of months ago for the older MidiSports. The drivers are beta, and many folks here are having good luck with them. Of course, the drivers finally were available after I bought the UM-3G to replace my 4x4. BTW, the UM-3G works fine in 64-bit Windows 7.

PE 8.5.3,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit,  i7 920,  GA-EX58-UD4P,  6gb Corsair DDR3,  2 x Barracuda 500gb,  HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, dual 24" monitors,  Axiom 61,  Korg Triton Pro,  Focusrite Saffire Pro 40,  VG-99,  Yamaha MSP5,  Fostex PM0.5       
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:need new computer but have "old " hardware 2010/08/17 11:34:18 (permalink)
    What a few folks do with the new systems is create a partition and install XP on it where life is as it was. Then you can have the best of both worlds.
    A new computer with a 500Gig OS drive and a second drive for audio would be ideal. Only item not sure about is if older PCI cards will install in the newer PCIe slots. Some one here will know.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:need new computer but have "old " hardware 2010/08/17 15:23:15 (permalink)
    I am building a box with an i5 processor on a sweet MB.... I plan to install XP on it.  XP is a stable OS for music. Since I don't plan to use the computer for anything else..... I will install all my current SW on it and let it roll.  My current mindset is that what I have is pretty good.....I just want a better computer to run it on, and don't plan to place it online or run any other apps besides music.....

I have seen time after time, if I have it online, it eventually slows down and craps out.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    orangesporanges
    Re:need new computer but have "old " hardware 2010/08/19 23:35:29 (permalink)
    Thanks to all for your advice. I have been coming here for years, and it's always refreshing that most of the users will offer real advice and solutions, not just "you'll have to start over , just live with it." Guitar hacker, I have one question. Aren't ther some memory constraints with the XP OS and if so, what are they?
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:need new computer but have "old " hardware 2010/08/21 23:25:19 (permalink)
    XP can only go to 4 Gigs. That's why W7 is worth thinking about.  I only have 2 gigs in both my DAWs and so far so good.  I'm looking at same as GH and a i5 system but with W7-64 I'll probably go with 6 gigs RAM and never need more.
    post edited by johnnyV - 2010/08/21 23:27:38

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:need new computer but have "old " hardware 2010/08/22 14:15:00 (permalink)
    I am installing 4GB of memory... If I ever need more, I will have to do W7 and partition it.... but again, if  XP won't go beyond 4g.....

So the plan is..... keep the machine clean..... dedicated to DAW usage and OFF the net.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    orangesporanges
    Re:need new computer but have "old " hardware 2010/08/25 23:13:48 (permalink)
    Thanks guys. Advice worth considering. To me 4 gigs seems like a lot of memory. Combined with an up to date processor( any reason to go i7 as opposed to i5?) and a dedicated audio drive. (that's what's keeping me afloat for now) I have to believe that I'll have a fairly robust system. We have plenty of internet connected machines in my house, so that's not really anything I can't live without. My goal is to have a system that will allow me to use the hardware I have now, but still be flexible/powerful enough that should the need arise, I can upgrade the OS and not feel like I'm trying to breath new life into an old machine. I think it's XP for now. Anyone who disagrees with this, I'd like to hear why this wouldn't be a viable solution.
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:need new computer but have "old " hardware 2010/08/26 07:33:51 (permalink)
    Whatever new hardware you buy, make sure it has Windows XP drivers, if that is what you want.  Not all new hardware has XP drivers. 

PCIe cards WILL NOT work in an older PCI slot and PCI cards WILL NOT work in a PCIe.  And that brings up another point, PCI is fading away and PCIe is becoming the standard.

The 4GB memory "wall" can be both hardware and software.   Older Motherboards have maximum memory limitations.  Then there is the 32 bit Operating System addressing limitation of less than 4 GB.  On a 32 bit OS you will have about 3.2 to 3.5GB out of 4GB of RAM useable (it will vary depending on the hardware and Video).

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    orangesporanges
    Re:need new computer but have "old " hardware 2010/08/26 23:26:24 (permalink)
    Good advice. Idon't  think I'll need new hardware right out of the gate, but that will have to be a consideration as to when I do make the switch. I only have USB and a PCI device right now, and many audio biased machines do in fact have both PCIe and PCI ports. I just have to make sure any combination of video cards, optical drives, etc. are XP and W7 compatible. (You gotta think of EVERYthing when you're doing something off the beaten path, huh?) Thanks
    rogersstones
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:need new computer but have "old " hardware 2010/08/28 12:42:36 (permalink)
    I am also facing same problem from a long time and tried many thing but still cant figure out the solution. Still searching hope I will make it soon.
    jm24
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2127
    Re:need new computer but have "old " hardware 2010/09/05 11:37:04 (permalink)
    w7 has better multi-core management. A real performance boost.

I do not recommend erasing the current OS install until you are sure you have exported all presets and saved to backup spot.

I have wX, w7 32, and w7 64 partitions on the OS disk. I still find old projects that do not open with joy on w7. I attempted to export/import all presets,... But.

And of course some plugs do not work with w7. So I use wX to open the project, make notes, then open in w7 to replace plugs and attempt to replicate settings.

And so on

So, after all is well, add a partition to the OS disk, and install w7. And slowly make the trasnsition.

J
    IronSound
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 61
    Re:need new computer but have "old " hardware 2010/09/05 18:25:50 (permalink)
         Hello... A performance upgrade for you right now would be to get a P35 X38 P45 or X48 series motherboard socket 775... can use DDR2 800 memory, 2-4 gig is very cheap now... also you can use 1333 Dual/Quad core Intel processors, very cheap now... they have the newer SATA and older IDE hard drive connectors... PCI and PCI-X slots... face it your IDE hard drive will eventually die, SATA drives are very fast and cheap now... and PCI-X video card performance is needed for the nice eye candy larger LCD monitors, also very cheap now...
        I've got two SATA hardrives... one has my original XP and Cakewalk 32 files loaded on it.. the other Win7 64 and Cakewalk 64.. I can boot up either operating system by pressing F12 during the computer startup BIOS screen... I have all my older files and programs intact... in other words what I did is bought a new hard drive when I bought Win 7... I can access files and programs from my XP drive in WIN7... and I can access files and programs from the Win7 drive in XP.
        Moving on to Win 7 or a newer computer Hardware, need not be a total erasure or inconvenience, in the access of your old programs and files... your IDE drive can still be connected and you will not lose much time with a performance upgrade... I consider a Dual or Quad core INTEL 3.0 gig processor, SATA drive, PCI-X video card,  and 4 gig RAM a giant leap over any P4, AGP/PCI video card, and 1 gig RAM.
        Also your Cakewalk 6 included a 64 bit version... and multi core CPU support... this hardware upgrade allows you the best of both worlds with XP and WIN7 64 performance.
    post edited by IronSound - 2010/09/08 06:45:16
    IronSound
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 61
    Re:need new computer but have "old " hardware 2010/09/07 11:20:08 (permalink)
        Hello again... My economic/performance hardware upgrade step from a P4 was to this motherboard an ASROCK 4CoreDual-SATA2... Socket 775 1066 Dual/Quad Intel processors.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/...?Model=4COREDUAL-SATA2

1) This board has both an AGP and PCI-X video slots... I used my old AGP card.
        2) This board has both DDR and DDR2 memory slots... I used my old DDR memory.
        3) This board has 4 IDE and 2 SATA connectors... I used my old IDE hard and optical drives.
        4) This board has 7.1 Realtek ALC888 HD audio chip... no sound card needed.
        5) This board has 10/100 LAN... no network card needed.
        6) This board has 4 USB ports and 3 PCI slots and 4 GB max memory.

The only thing I bought was the motherboard and a Dual Core E6420 CPU... everything connected to the original power supply and case... currently I see prices listed at about $65 for the retail box motherboard, and I would consider watching EBAY for an E7400, an E6600, or a Q6600 CPU... all could be found for under $100... and are W7 64-bit ready... a huge XP performance boost.
         You can then upgrade, at a later time, a SATA hardrive and back up important data... a PCI-X video card... and then that large eye candy LCD monitor... Windows 7... etc... and you will have Hardware compatible for your next i3, i5, and i7 system.

This website shows a performance graph of old and current CPU's...
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/common_cpus.htm

3 of the 10 top performers are socket 775 processors... only 1 out of 10 is an i5...

post edited by IronSound - 2010/09/07 13:00:32
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1