Contract

Author
Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
2010/08/16 21:59:52 (permalink)

Contract

Hi,

I submitted a song to a non-profit organization for a compilation CD which will be used as part of a fund-raising effort.  I'm happy to report that my song was selected (out of many submissions) to be included on the CD.  All monies raised will be donated directly to the United Way.  My understanding is that the music will primarily be distributed through iTunes.  Below is the contract they want me to sign for this project.  I would appreciate you taking a quick look at it and let me know if anything jumps out at you.

(The names have been changed to protect the innocent)

I hereby agree and grant "Organization" the following:

(1) The donation to the United Way's relief efforts and all proceeds associated with my musical composition entitled “X” by artist Dave King (hereinafter "submitted music") that accrue via downloads occurring on Apple Computer, Inc.'s "iTunes" music service.

(2) Term: from the date of this Agreement through March 1, 2012.

(3) Territory: the world

(4) Royalty: none with all proceeds to going to the United Way as specified herein

(5) Mechanical royalty: waived

I understand that this Agreement does not affect my ownership and intellectual
property rights in the submitted music.

I explicitly affirm that the submitted music is my original work of art.

I am 18 years of age and am competent to contract in my own name.

I agree that I am duly authorized to execute this Agreement.

I confirm and agree that the musical composition title and name of artist as expressed in (1) above are accurate and is how this information will be supplied to the "iTunes" music service.

I agree to indemnify and hold harmless "Organization" and its representatives, successors, and assigns against any and all claims, causes of action, damages, losses, and costs (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) and liabilities of any nature which may at any time be asserted against or suffered by any party hereto, directly or indirectly, relating to or arising out of this Agreement or use of the submitted music.

This Agreement contains the entire agreement, and supersedes any other negotiations, commitments, and writings related to the subject matter hereof.

If the foregoing is acceptable to you, please indicate by signing and faxing this Agreement to (XXX) XXX-XXXX.
______________________________ [your signature]
______________________________ [print your name] Accepted this ____ day of _________ , 2010

Thanks!

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

9 Replies Related Threads

Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:Contract 2010/08/16 22:28:31 (permalink)
    That looks fine to me.
    The important points:
    2) the contract ends March 2012
    1) the United Way is mentioned as the recipient
    6) you retain copyright ownership

the other stuff is negligible.

ps.  If you take this as legal advice, you owe me $1000 and a signature on a really fun waiver.  Otherwise it's just a friendly interpretation.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:Contract 2010/08/16 22:42:57 (permalink)
    Pretty standard stuff there Dave. Just don't submit that song of yours that sounds just like My Sweet Lord.....or was it He's so Fine? Ah, what the hell, send it in. Whats the worst that could happen.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Contract 2010/08/16 22:50:00 (permalink)
    rsp@odyssey.net

Pretty standard stuff there Dave. Just don't submit that song of yours that sounds just like My Sweet Lord.....or was it He's so Fine? Ah, what the hell, send it in. Whats the worst that could happen.

Randy

Exactly ! I would never prevent someone for stealing my songs, it's a win win. They either don't make any money off it or it goes big and you get famous when you expose to the world it is yours. You also want to wait as long as possible before you sue. You want the money to pile up first so there is something to sue for.

This is the same for almost anything. Computer code, patents.. let them run with it first before you hit them with the suit.
    post edited by ohhey - 2010/08/16 22:51:16
    Dave King
    Re:Contract 2010/08/16 23:03:07 (permalink)
    Exactly ! I would never prevent someone for stealing my songs, it's a win win. They either don't make any money off it or it goes big and you get famous when you expose to the world it is yours. You also want to wait as long as possible before you sue. You want the money to pile up first so there is something to sue for.

Ha!  Great idea!  Thanks!

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Contract 2010/08/16 23:27:02 (permalink)
    Congrats Dave. 

I'd be most honored for folks to steal my songs, hum them, sing them publicly, and flatter my ego to wits end.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Contract 2010/08/16 23:59:58 (permalink)
    The contract seems fine and is mercifully short.  Good cause and a nice boost for you.  Maybe even get a few years off of perculator in the hereafter to boot.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    Re:Contract 2010/08/17 00:56:38 (permalink)
    Maybe mentioning something that you already thought about, but I would make sure that this song was registered with the gov'ment copyright office. You don't have to wait for the documentation, when submitted it is covered. You can register a collection at once for a minimal cost on line.

All the other points, length of time, good organization/casuse, exposure, sounds like a good, safe idea.

Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Contract 2010/08/17 08:41:57 (permalink)
    Yup.... get the copyright registered.... if you haven't already. The contract is one of the shortest ones I have ever seen. To be honest I would have liked to have seen better wording and more explanation of a few things, but since it is a charity and you are not getting ANY of the proceeds during the contract's duration, as long as the contract ends and you retain your ownership rights...... very cool.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Dave King
    Re:Contract 2010/08/17 11:45:41 (permalink)
    Good point on the copyright.  I'll have to check and see if I copyrighted this particular song.

Thanks.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1