Hardware Synth vs Keyboard Controller + Software

Author
LHousehold
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 163
2010/08/17 09:38:27 (permalink)

Hardware Synth vs Keyboard Controller + Software

Which do you people think is best for music production? A classic hardware synthesizer like the v-synth GT or Gaia SH-01, or a good keyboard controller coupled up with a good DAW, for example the novation remote sl49 mkii with sonar and dimension pro/rapture/z3ta+. I'd like to know what people prefer. In the past it's always been the hard synth, but nowadays the times are moving on, do you think controllers and comps are the future of synthesis?

Windows 7 64 bit
Cakewalk Sonar X2 Producer
Cakewalk A-500PRO MIDI controller

5 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Hardware Synth vs Keyboard Controller + Software 2010/08/17 10:54:06 (permalink)
    Both?  That is a hard question and is mostly a matter of preferences.  Me, I mostly use soft synths with a controller.  I have half a dozen softsynths I use on every project.  Besides, my novation Le 49 sits on top of my Fizmo and cover.  I can turn on the novation once the computer is up and play away different synths.  The Fiz - I have to remove the cover and make sure SONAR is set up to record and the Fiz audio is outputed.  I'm lazy.  It takes more time to set up a hardware synth, tune the moog or patch up the arp.  I will, of course, but I need to need them.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Lemonboy
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 679
    Re:Hardware Synth vs Keyboard Controller + Software 2010/08/17 11:30:03 (permalink)
    LHousehold

Which do you people think is best for music production? A classic hardware synthesizer like the v-synth GT or Gaia SH-01, or a good keyboard controller coupled up with a good DAW, for example the novation remote sl49 mkii with sonar and dimension pro/rapture/z3ta+. I'd like to know what people prefer. In the past it's always been the hard synth, but nowadays the times are moving on, do you think controllers and comps are the future of synthesis? 

Guess if I had a huge studio space I'd love to have a few classic keyboards wired in and ready to go, but I do also like my soft synths, so if the choice was only one or the other I'd go . . .

. . . the soft synth route if I was sticking purely to the studio

. . . a workstation if I was combining studio work with playing live.

However if you are asking about sticking to a workstation for all recording/sequencing duties or a DAW and softsynths for recording/sequencing duties it would definitely be the DAW option!

Andy 
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Hardware Synth vs Keyboard Controller + Software 2010/08/17 13:22:12 (permalink)
    LHousehold

You're asking for an apples to oranges comparison in some ways.  You don't need a DAW in the picture if you're comparing to a standalone synth that you use for live performance.  However, if a DAW is definitely part of the picture, you'll likely have fewer hassles with soft synths compared to hooking up external gear for both recording (input) and playback (output).

Another big factor is cost.  If you already have the computer and that's not a part of the entry cost, then the first synth requires a MIDI keyboard controller and one piece of software.  Already, that's probably less than a hard synth.  Thereafter, each additional synth is *way* less expensive.

But in terms of flipping the power on and starting to play ... using a hard synth is certainly a lot less effort and has fewer things that could go wrong.
    LHousehold
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 163
    Re:Hardware Synth vs Keyboard Controller + Software 2010/08/18 08:49:56 (permalink)
    Thanks for clearing up my confusion guys. I see what you mean about live performances. Maybe if I want to play live I'll invest in a new hardsynth instead of routing through my laptop. Thanks all for replying.

Windows 7 64 bit
    Cakewalk Sonar X2 Producer
    Cakewalk A-500PRO MIDI controller

Chregg
    Max Output Level: -51.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2382
    Re:Hardware Synth vs Keyboard Controller + Software 2010/08/18 09:57:23 (permalink)
    gaia 01's are virtual analog, but still digital, they'll softsynths that will give them a run for their money, if you have the cash, go on e-bay try and pick up a jupiter 8 or something, then you'll know the difference, hardware synths at the same time are good to take sounds from and layer them with softsynths sounds, gives them more width (which i think sofsynths lack) the worlds yer oyster there
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1