Front ported monitors better for small rooms?

Author
SvenArne
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2719
2010/08/18 04:14:29 (permalink)

Front ported monitors better for small rooms?

Hey guys!

Ever since we moved one year ago and I got a dedicated, but small studio in the attic my Dynaudio BM5A monitors have been acting up in the low-mid/high bass region with a noticable peak at 155 Hz and I suspect there are other peaks and dips lower down. In our old appartment (big untreated living room with walls at weird angles, I borrowed an ECM microphone and measured the low-freq response to be surprisingly flat, so I don't think the monitors themselves are at fault.

The room is treated with volumes of Auralex knock-off foam basstraps and a few thick (5 cm) pyramid foam wall panels. I guess the problem would be somewhat alleviated by getting/building proper bass traps, but I gather that part of the problem is being unable to get the rear-ported Dynos far enough from the rear wall without the listening position ending up near the middle of the squarish room.

So I'm now considering selling my beloved BM5As and getting the new ADAM A7x which are front ported, so I can move my whole desk right against the wall. Do you think this will help a lot?

Sven

12 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Front ported monitors better for small rooms? 2010/08/18 06:45:40 (permalink)
    No I don't think it will help a lot.

Porting... if done right, is about tuning the resonance of the cabinet so that the driver (woofer) thinks it is in a bigger cabinet. This has the effect of flattening out the bass response, often times allowing the designer to extend the hi pass filters lower... so you get deeper flatter bass response.

More importantly, porting reduces the bass boink that happens when you shove a speaker into a non ported cabinet that is less than ideal size. 

Porting... if done right, doesn't have a jet rush of air flying out it... it has spring of air firmly coupling with your room.

Porting... if done right, does not result in sound "escaping" from the port in any great excess.

Technically speaking bass frequencies emanate from your speaker cabinet in near omni pattern... any low frequencies coming out of the port is swallowed by that.

Bad porting can result in overall weird frequency response. Bad porting can result in the sound of wind coming and going from the port.

Porting is done to make to make speaker drivers more valuable when they are placed in boxes that are smaller than ideal for said speaker.

Very few people screw up the easiest part about building and adding value to a speaker... designing a good port.

I suspect the 155hZ is just part of your room and you'll need to trap it.

best regards,
    mike

Bonzos Ghost
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    Re:Front ported monitors better for small rooms? 2010/08/19 15:56:12 (permalink)
    If the problem frequencies appeared when you moved to your new room, then the problem is your room, not your monitors. You implied your room is relatively square. Square rooms usually generate more problem frequencies than a rectangular room, so you should probably deal with the room first as best you can.  
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re:Front ported monitors better for small rooms? 2010/08/20 13:51:41 (permalink)
    SvenArne

...the problem is being unable to get the rear-ported Dynos far enough from the rear wall without the listening position ending up near the middle of the squarish room.

Sven

I think you're right - that this is the main source of the problem.  No amount of room-treatment is going to correct a port booming low freq a foot or less away from a wall.

If you can't reposition the monitors, then yes you will likely need to switch to front-ported.  Of course, if you can, borrow a pair of front-ported just to confirm.   Maybe the store will let you take them on a trial basis. 

Good luck.

post edited by JonD - 2010/08/20 13:57:23

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    Re:Front ported monitors better for small rooms? 2010/08/20 13:55:24 (permalink)

Edited. (Duplicate post).
    post edited by JonD - 2010/08/20 13:56:52

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    jasonthurley
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 264
    Re:Front ported monitors better for small rooms? 2010/08/20 14:18:58 (permalink)
    Just speaking about ported monitors in general, they are not so much used for referencing audio signals because the port allows the speaker to move more and you will notice elongated bass notes or "fuller" sounding bass... that is specifically what the port is doing is opening the ability for that larger frequency to be recreated due to it being in a smaller box as Mike said.

The reason they were never that popular until recent times was because a closed cabinet will give you a "true" sense of response versus the "enhanced" response you get from a ported speaker....  To me this is like adjusting the low end of an EQ and adding it to your speakers instead of EQ-ing the sound source itself.

If you used an RTA and RTA tuned microphone and the low end was flat... it is not the room unless you were placing the RTA microphone close to the speaker itself...

Try placing it in the mix position... then listen to both speakers with pink noise... then look at the response... now mute the right side and see if adding both speakers is causing a boost in that frequency.. if that is the case you are creating a boost unintentionally with phase from your Left to Right speaker.. if that is whats happening then see if you can move one side (left or right) further away or closer to you to see if it goes away. If you RTA the mixing position and the response is showing a boost at that frequency.. then it iss either 1. the speakers response or 2. the room.

Just some trouble shooting steps for you to try.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Front ported monitors better for small rooms? 2010/08/20 23:32:43 (permalink)
    Front-porting does make a difference when the speakers are too close to the wall. I have seen the effect and measured it first-hand. Sound does indeed come out the ports. Not a lot, and it's very low-frequency (whatever frequency the enclosure is tuned to). You can feel it, and if you're brave you can stick your ears next to it and hear it. Sounds pretty awful, too.

However, your room is more likely to be the bigger culprit. I'd take some measurements at the mix position before switching speakers, and experiment with some alternate speaker placements.

Here's something you can try that's easy and quick: get some of that high-density foam (or a sock will do in a pinch) and stuff it into the port. Seriously. I tried this on my old monitors at the suggestion of the manufacturer, and to my surprise it noticeably leveled out the bass response and resulted in better mixes. Back then, I too was forced to place my speakers too close to the wall due to room size and layout -- and suffered for it. (They were front-ported speakers, btw.)

Nowadays, I still use front-ported speakers and have the luxury of placing them 4 feet out from the wall on stands (sans socks), yet I still have bass inconsistencies due to room resonances. In small rooms, you pretty much have to live with them.
    post edited by bitflipper - 2010/08/20 23:35:40

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Front ported monitors better for small rooms? 2010/08/21 09:04:56 (permalink)
    "I tried this on my old monitors at the suggestion of the manufacturer, and to my surprise it noticeably leveled out the bass response and resulted in better mixes."

I suggest that this is positive proof that those ports were not well designed... and suggest further that your experience with these ports is not the norm when working with better designed samples.

Have you ever heard of a Aeperiodic Vent?

You made one with your sock. :-)

An Aeperiodic vent is a device that speaker builders sometimes use to either prototype or rescue speaker projects. It is essentially a port stuffed with a sock to fix problems with low frequency resonance.

You can buy some here:

https://www.madisound.com...5&products_id=1323

I guess I was and am optimistic that the Dynaudio BM5A is a well designed speaker.

If I thought the ports on my speakers were a problem... I'd start shopping for new speakers.

all the best,
    mike

post edited by mike_mccue - 2010/08/21 09:08:08

SvenArne
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2719
    Re:Front ported monitors better for small rooms? 2010/08/21 16:31:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for the responses guys!

I can borrow the older model ADAM A7 so I'll try probably that, but after reading some your replies I'm not too optimistic. I know I should stuff more and better bass trapping in there, but then I'll lose valueable space for storage and furniture and stuff.

What perked my interest in the A7Xs was that some reviews have said they're less sensitive to positioning issues because of their front ports and furthermore, the current marketing campaign for the Focal CMS series actually say that they are"front ported, so they can be positioned flat against the wall". I took this to mean that front ports would be better for small rooms.

Regarding sealed-box monitors, I get the impression the current models are kind of high-end items. I don't want something like the NS-10s (I've tried them and I hated them), so they would probably need to be pretty big boxes.

So I guess the sock drawer will be my first stop. Which would be better, cotton, wool or lycra?

Sven

jasonthurley
    Re:Front ported monitors better for small rooms? 2010/08/25 16:49:57 (permalink)
    If I am not mistaken they (Adam A7's) are around $500 a pop right? or is that a pair?

I just recommended other speakers on a different thread:

How about these... space saving in-wall mounted THX certified:

http://www.abt.com/produc...l?utm_source=scfroogle

You can find them new in a box on Ebay for $450/each( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eB...&item=170525142275 ).  I believe best buy and circuit city carry some of the klipsch stuff so you can always go listen to some of them and compare them to other major manufactures such as Bose and JBL.

They also make these and you can find them for $250/each(Probably need a sub):

http://www.buy.com/prod/k...loc/111/208504475.html

Just food for thought

jasonthurley
    Re:Front ported monitors better for small rooms? 2010/08/25 16:51:38 (permalink)
    Oh, no I am not a Klipsch representative/dealer/etc but for the money you won't find a better cabinet...
    Lemonboy
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 679
    Re:Front ported monitors better for small rooms? 2010/08/25 17:10:56 (permalink)
    SvenArne

Thanks for the responses guys!

I can borrow the older model ADAM A7 so I'll try probably that, but after reading some your replies I'm not too optimistic. I know I should stuff more and better bass trapping in there, but then I'll lose valueable space for storage and furniture and stuff.  

Sven

Definitely try the Adam A7's if you can . . . one of the things I like about them is that IMO the bass end isn't hyped like it is in a lot of the smaller ported monitors and this might help your situation.  

I rented a smallish attic room once and the roof angle (and shape) made it virtually impossible to get the same balance out of each HiFi speaker.  I certainly would not have liked to have tried some critical listening in there!  

Luckily not all attics are created equal, and hopefully yours is a lot better than that one, so good luck in getting your sound sorted in there.

Andy

jcatena
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 404
    Re:Front ported monitors better for small rooms? 2010/08/25 19:06:44 (permalink)
    SvenArne

Regarding sealed-box monitors, I get the impression the current models are kind of high-end items. I don't want something like the NS-10s (I've tried them and I hated them), so they would probably need to be pretty big boxes.

So I guess the sock drawer will be my first stop. Which would be better, cotton, wool or lycra?
    The Klein & Hummel o300 is probably the best nearfield i ever used, and it is closed type and relatively small.
    Indeed rear ports can cause problems with close walls, but the monitor is not the real problem.
    For testing you may use fiberglass or rockwool, you may place it in the port, or between the speaker and the wall, or in both places. Any difference you find will indicate how a front ported or closed speaker will behave in your room. Any remaining problems are modes of the room and only adequate treatment will help.
    It will not be easy, a small and square room is very difficult to fix, but you may be able to improve it "enough".

Jose Catena
    DIGIWAVES, S.L.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1