Brass flare in Garritan Personal Orchestra

Author
Galandar
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 67
2010/08/18 11:02:56 (permalink)

Brass flare in Garritan Personal Orchestra

I'm a newbie to using the Garritan Personal Orchestra.  I am using it as a VST plugin with Sonar 8.5 Producer.  I really like the sound, but I have a couple of questions.  First, when creating an envelope in track view, when I click on the drop-down list for adding a controller, all I see is a blank box.  Usually, there is a list saying something like "1 - Volume."  I can still define an envelope for a controller, and they seem to work, but I was just wondering if something was wrong here

More importantly, my brass instruments, especially trumpets, seem to flare (get louder and brighter) at the end of long tones.  I can get some of this out with CC#21 (sample length) and some patches are more pronounced than others, but I am wondering if I am overlooking a controller somewhere, or is this a sample problem.

Intel Core 2 CPU -3.0 GHz - Windows 7 - Sonar Platinum 64-bit

4 Replies Related Threads

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Brass flare in Garritan Personal Orchestra 2010/08/18 11:10:25 (permalink)
    To apply a volume envelope to a track, just right-click in the track pane, scroll down to Add Envelope and select Volume from there.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    tfkeel
    • Total Posts : 92
    Re:Brass flare in Garritan Personal Orchestra 2010/08/18 11:11:45 (permalink)
    It's a "feature", I think.  I notice this, too.  In fact, one of my "wish list" items for future Sonar releases is to put this list in a file or list box stored with the individual setup data so that I could add the Garritan function names to it and have them appear in the Piano Roll view with the controller.

I also use CC21 to minimize this if needed.  I am looking forward to see if anyone does something different.  I think I may have missed the controller, too.

Sonar 8.5 Producer Version 8.5.3.282 - Windows XP Home Edition w/all upgrades through SP3 - Windows Vista business SP2 - PreSonus FireBox interface - M-Audio UNO - Behringer UCA202 U-control - ADK ProAudio quad-core 3.2 Ghz overclocked, 8 Gb ram - been with Cakewalk since 3.0 in 1990 ( it was MIDI only...under MS/DOS - computer was 4 MHz :) )

http://www.keelsmusic.com
    Galandar
    Re:Brass flare in Garritan Personal Orchestra 2010/08/18 11:17:25 (permalink)
    Thanks for the quick answer Bristol.  That is the way I generally create envelopes like volume or chorus.  However, for individual instruments that respond to other controllers, I generally click Envelope>Create Track Envelope>Midi and then I can choose from a list of controllers that the synth will recognize.  With Garritan Personal Orchestra, there is no list, just an empty box, and I was wondering if I had made a mistake installing it or something.

Galandar
    Re:Brass flare in Garritan Personal Orchestra 2010/08/18 23:36:28 (permalink)
    Thanks tfkeel.  Another item for the wish list, I guess.  Do you use GPO as a VST plugin or as a DXi?  Apart from the flare, I also have a hard time getting a sharp, clear attack, especially on staccato notes.  Do you have the same problem?

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1