help with exporting 2 track recording.

Author
gritz
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
2010/08/19 11:06:52 (permalink)

help with exporting 2 track recording.

hi i hope you can help with this i'm very straight forward issue.

i record on Sonar producer 8 and use emu 404 sound card.

i mainly record vocal recordings over a cd track so you have track one vocal track two imported music for cd track and then i put onto CD or RW DVD - i make hypnotherapy cds.

However i use some effects on the vocals but when i export the file to be burned to a dvd i notice sometimes it either creates two files of the tracks recorded separately or i think the final export is missing the effects. - Can you give me the best and most simply way of exporting a file as when i get to the stage where i export the file and given the choice of broadcast wav or wav or mp3 or windows media, busses, tracks, raw tracks, what i hear, etc i get very confused and feel that i could be creating better and more professional cds for myself and my clients - plus i want to use sonar as a musician better otherwise its a waste

9 Replies Related Threads

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:help with exporting 2 track recording. 2010/08/19 11:25:49 (permalink)
    a couple of questions.

How are you applying your Fx to the vocals? There are a few optinos to choose from:

1 - Put the Effects on a Bus and use a send from your tracks to the bus
    2 - Use the Fx as an IOnsert on your tracks, controlling the level of the Effect with the wet/dry paraameter of the Effect
    3 - Use a clip Effect - same provisions as in 2.

Next, what sort of bussing structure are you using?

Is everything going straight to your soundard outputs or are you using intermediate busses to get there?

If it was me, I'd do this

CD track > Master Bus > Main Out
    Vocal Track > Master Bus
    Effects bus > Master Bus

Then put a send on your vocal track to your Efffects Bus

Note that you have to set up the Master Bus yourself!!!

Now you can export.

First of all, select everything (Ctrl + A) , or nothing (Ctrl + Shift + A)

Now go File > Export

Select either Main Outs or Entire Mix, set your bit depth to 16, slap in a filename & destination and you're ready to go.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    gritz
    Re:help with exporting 2 track recording. 2010/08/19 11:45:20 (permalink)
    i apply the effects by clicking on the right side of screen on the track  and the dropdown says audio fx or midi fx click audio fx and then i have list of the effects loaded with sonar 8 - i admit i don't know anyting bout busses i just record on track one track two and thats about it - this is the probem i don't understand how busses work etc so i avoid them which i think i'm missing out - thanks for the second part of your answer i will follow that instruction.
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:help with exporting 2 track recording. 2010/08/19 11:59:01 (permalink)
    Make sure your tracks are going to your master bus! Then make sure the master bus is going to your main outs!
    You need to learn the routing, in order to export properly. There is no way around it
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    gritz
    Re:help with exporting 2 track recording. 2010/08/19 18:14:31 (permalink)
    Hi, i have now looked at this and this makes sense but can you show me how to do the effects bus setup as i have tried to do this - once i have sussed out the effects bus i will direct the vocal track to it

i really appreciate your help
    CJaysMusic
    Re:help with exporting 2 track recording. 2010/08/19 18:21:16 (permalink)
    1. Make a bus and name it what ever you like. Make sure its outputed to the master bus
    2. Right click in the track send area in the console view and select the new bus you just made.
    3. Insert an effect on the bus
    4 use the sends pan and volume to taste
    5. use the effects settings to taste. most likely 100 wet if its an effect and not a dynamic controlled processing plugin, like comps/limiters.

Pre and Post Settings:
    Aux buses and sends include a switch or button that decide if the audio signal goes to the bus and then the track (Pre) or if the goes to the bus, after the track (post). So the pre setting is before the fader and the post setting is after the fader.

Pre
    fader lets you set a mix up that's totally separate from the input faders and the effects on the bus. Some people use pre for headphones mixes because you can get 2 separate mixes form it. Pre send is not good for effect buses. If pre is used for effect bus's, the track fader can be completely off, but the send level is still on and therefore the effect can still be heard.

fader is great for effect sends, because the effect decreases as the track fader is turned down.. As the fader is decreased, the send level is also decreased. Therefore the effects on the bus maintain a constant balance between the dry and wet effected audio signal.

Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    gritz
    Re:help with exporting 2 track recording. 2010/08/20 04:48:30 (permalink)
    Thanks CJ, Much appreciated - when i can afford it i will log on to your sonar training course - it definately seems the best option -

things have moved on since buying my first tascam portastudio 4 track !
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:help with exporting 2 track recording. 2010/08/20 18:18:29 (permalink)
    All of this is in the help files,(free) Best way to use the help info  is to use the search function and a key word.
    Example= EFX sends =  all info on this topic will magically appear.
    If you've never used a mixing desk I guess it seems confusing but sonar is layed out like any standard multi bus mixer.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

lorneyb2
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1667
    Re:help with exporting 2 track recording. 2010/08/20 18:42:54 (permalink)
    For quick and easy export, if the project is sounding in Sonar just the way you want it when you hit play with whatever FX you have put on any of the tracks, just hit Ctrl + Shift + A (to select no tracks but by default selects the whole project for export) or Edit - Select - None will accomplish the same.  Then go to File - Export - Audio and away you go.  This should export exactly what you were hearing in Sonar with whatever effects you were using.
    CJaysMusic
    Re:help with exporting 2 track recording. 2010/08/20 19:38:00 (permalink)
    things have moved on since buying my first tascam portastudio 4 track !

They sure have. But its been for the better..Just a little more complicated

Audio Blog
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1