PC or MAC....Laptops at 10GBs...ESATA ports at 2.5GBs...

Author
jasonthurley
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 264
2010/08/19 22:42:34 (permalink)

PC or MAC....Laptops at 10GBs...ESATA ports at 2.5GBs...

Some of you might be asking why.... PC versus MAC... Sonar doesn't run on MAC.... I will have another post soon dealing with that issue and how to install Sonar on a MAC with purchase of windows OS to install on your MAC and how and if you can.

I have heard a lot of people say PC versus MAC but at this point... old technology aside... they both reach the same performance rates overall if they are fine tuned. 

That said... one thing I want to bring up is Intels new technology that pushes motherboard buss Speed Up TO 10GBs... however it is in agreement with....

APPLE folks

Thats right... INTEL signed with APPLE.....so in the FUTURE.. thinking future here... MAC is going to sweap until the technology is opened up to PC makers. This chip is going to be on every MAC by 2012.... just think a consumer fiber port... that means consumer light speed peeps...to your 3rd party .... interface???!!!... or new keyboard... or Real Time Monitoring of Virtual Synths! :)

Link.. (just because I am nice folks):

http://techresearch.intel.com/articles/None/1813.htm

This means you can open the new technology of interfaces up to a new light (No punn intended...thinking about latency here too!)

So that's my thoughts on that issue.

How about these new ESATA laptop cards?????!!!!!!! Neat or not?

http://www.amazon.com/GoHardDrive-2-port-Controller-ExpressCard-Adapter/dp/B001O8BPAG

Wow up to 2.5GBs with the right card and using a laptop buss connected ditectly to the motherboard.......... this is starting to really speed things up in the laptop external hard drive area... or future controllers??!!!... sample samples and more at lightning speed... on a laptop?!!!!!!!!!!

So where are the audio manafactures with there Intel consumer fiber outputs or ESATA 2.5GBs outputs???!!!

I heard of a new OS that is coming out of Japan i think... I have just heard on this one.... no hard evidence to present.... that is suppose to drown both windows and MAC in processing and multitasking... Has anyone else seen or hear about that?

What have you seen?

2 Replies Related Threads

windsurfer25x
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re:PC or MAC....Laptops at 10GBs...ESATA ports at 2.5GBs... 2010/08/19 23:34:32 (permalink)
    I think you're a bit off. 

There's more to speed than communication protocols (Firewire, USB 2.0,3.0, eSATA etc.)
    It's going to take good drivers, and then on top of that good 3rd party support for making devices that use a new protocol and their drivers and it will likely cost a fortune, we're not even using USB 2.0 to it's full potential, I don't see how a new communication protocol is going to change driver and device support and resolve current problems we have now. 

I just read that article on light peak, they're talking about increased bandwidth... that's not going to affect audio interfaces at all, as they won't benefit from using increased bandwidth. We're not even using the full bandwidth available to us now... maybe if someone multi-tracks at 1000 in and 500 out?

Mac is not going to sweep PC off the market. Mac's are just PC's with a pretty case and a different OS and an ego. 

That bandwidth will be useful for transfering massive amounts of information, but hard drives can't come near that read or write speed so again... I don't see what that will revolutionize.

Sonar X1 Expanded PE 64 bit
    Intel i7 2600k oc'd, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, intel 320 SSD OS drive, 7200RPM HDDx2, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit VS 100, Tascam US-2000, UAD2 - Izotope, Fabfilter, NI Komplete 7/Kore2 & +, Spectrasonics+

http://www.maskensmobilestudio.com

jasonthurley
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 264
    Re:PC or MAC....Laptops at 10GBs...ESATA ports at 2.5GBs... 2010/08/20 14:04:05 (permalink)

There's more to speed than communication protocols (Firewire, USB 2.0,3.0, eSATA etc.)
    It's going to take good drivers, and then on top of that good 3rd party support for making devices that use a new protocol and their drivers and it will likely cost a fortune, we're not even using USB 2.0 to it's full potential, I don't see how a new communication protocol is going to change driver and device support and resolve current problems we have now.

The new chip will be able to have all USB/Firewire/ESATA etc devices running on one buss instead of multiple busses and multiple ports.... multiple busses means more latency.  For the guys that have an ESATA external hard drive, or similar, the ability to have a large number of virtual synths playing back at once with multitrack audio interface connected on the same buss (running at 10GBs) will be a big step up from using USB or Firewire connection of external drives.... If you want to have an external drive that has all your samples/plug-ins/sessions etc making it all portable this is awesome news... The problem with USB and Firewire is that a hard drive can transfer large amounts of data and using USB or Firewire is bottlnecking it.... so we are using them to there full potential when speaking about external data transfer via hard drive...... not audio interfaces as they do not require so much bandwidth... however if you are doing audio post with uncompressed video/etc... Buss/transfer speed is definitely needed.

I just read that article on light peak, they're talking about increased bandwidth... that's not going to affect audio interfaces at all, as they won't benefit from using increased bandwidth. We're not even using the full bandwidth available to us now... maybe if someone multi-tracks at 1000 in and 500 out?

Mac is not going to sweep PC off the market. Mac's are just PC's with a pretty case and a different OS and an ego. 

I didn't say sweep them off market... MACs are expensive so PC will definitely still be a strong contender but when Apple has the latest technology the industry professionals are going to see the future and invest that direction.... Latency issues will start to be a thing of the past 

That bandwidth will be useful for transfering massive amounts of information, but hard drives can't come near that read or write speed so again... I don't see what that will revolutionize.

I have a professional video scope program that requires a 3.5GBs transfer rate and I do not have a computer that will run it... here... Imagine how much more processing power you can get out of a plug-in with an enormous amount of bandwidth that is transferring at light speed? What about everything going to 64 bit (requires more bandwidth) including OS, Plug-Ins, Drivers, etc... all piling up DOUBLE the amount of DATA of 32 bit... 
    Anyway ... food for thought

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1