Channels in track view and channels on notes

Author
Galandar
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 67
2010/08/21 13:15:45 (permalink)

Channels in track view and channels on notes

Recently I have been reclaiming some old Cakewalk files (.wrk files!) into Sonar 8.5 Producer, and I have to use different synths (obviously) than the ones I originally used.  Mostly what I have been doing is in track view I point a track to the right synth and then set the channel to whatever synth channel I need in the new synth.  However, the actual notes in the staff view are still pointing to the channel from the old synth.  This doesn't seem to make a difference.  It seems that everything is playing correctly.  However, I am curious to know if this will come back and bite me somewhere, like when I draw in track envelopes and such.  I wrote a CAL to change the channels of all notes and controller events in a highligted track or section, but I'm still curious as to whether it is necessary.

Intel Core 2 CPU -3.0 GHz - Windows 7 - Sonar Platinum 64-bit

3 Replies Related Threads

rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:Channels in track view and channels on notes 2010/08/21 13:25:10 (permalink)
    Hi, Galandar - When you set a specific MIDI channel in the track header like that, it over-rides any channel data in the tracks.  So you'll be fine.  The original data stays there in the track, but you're forcing each track to a new channel - works fine, I've done that many times.  It's slick.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    Galandar
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 67
    Re:Channels in track view and channels on notes 2010/08/21 13:30:55 (permalink)
    Thanks Randy.  I suspected as much.  But with these old .wrk files, I wasn't sure.  If I recall right I was using Cakewalk 0.0001, my monitor was a chunk of slate, and I had to chisel the notes in staff view.

Intel Core 2 CPU -3.0 GHz - Windows 7 - Sonar Platinum 64-bit
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:Channels in track view and channels on notes 2010/08/21 13:43:28 (permalink)
    Galandar

Thanks Randy.  I suspected as much.  But with these old .wrk files, I wasn't sure.  If I recall right I was using Cakewalk 0.0001, my monitor was a chunk of slate, and I had to chisel the notes in staff view.

AH, memories - Yes, I recall the Flintstones approach of working, chisel and all. 

Actually, I started with Pro Audio 9 which was the most advanced version of Cakewalk before it was re-named Sonar.  It was a very hip program, actually.  Very stable, some of its tools are still exactly the same in the current Sonar, all these years later.  The main reason I finally upgraded from PA9 was so I could use VSTis.  Those weren't supported before Sonar.  Everything I did was with hardware synths back then.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1