Motherboard

Author
OldNick
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1149
2010/08/22 05:49:44 (permalink)

Motherboard

I am going to put together (or have put together) a PC to do music, mostly MIDI (but these days the bounds are blurred) with some audio.

I did a search here on motherboard, but did not really get opinions that were up to date.

As suggested in an article somewhere on CW's site, I will probably not go for the ultimate, but need opinions on a MoBo that has expansion slots with variety and number, is a good solid MoBo etc.

I will also be doing video and 3d cartooning. That's why I may need a few slots. At least Soundcard, decent graphics card, possibly a capture card, although that could be in another PC and simply transfer the data.

This unit will be standalone, not networked, no internet, no everything except  what I need to do that stuff. I envisage having a portable HD to transfer to and from if needed. Safety would be by erasing the drive often and scanning every file on it before going to the music PC. I suppose I could have non-resident AV on there....??

I was thinking of using an Intel I7 2.8 Ghz unless I get told otherwise.

Looking forward to what could become a bunfight!

Nick
Aced : Zither Mush (I no longer have ANY idea what this means)
Ancient Seeker of Artifacts
Platinum 23.4.0, Win 7 64 bit

5 Replies Related Threads

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:Motherboard 2010/08/23 00:55:44 (permalink)
    You need to be systematic in narrowing the choice of motherboards, or you can just copy someone else in their choice and hope they got what you wanted. First choose your CPU. That limits you to boards that will run it. Then pick your expansion slots. If you have hardware that needs an old style PCI slot that will limit your choices. Then pick memory expansion size. For most people the total size and availability of compatible sticks at a price you can afford will be more important than whether you can run the fastest memory on earth. Then if you are planning to run firewire, try to find a board that has a firewire controller that does not piss on your audio interface. You can always add a firewire card if the board does not have one. Until you have made those choices, neither you nor anyone else is in a good position to choose.
    OldNick
    Re:Motherboard 2010/08/23 02:12:52 (permalink)
    What you say makes sense. That's why I said that I was looking at the i7 CPU, so that might give a clue. I think after reading a few messages here, I will stick with Intel.

I think my question may well be "What boards should I avoid?" Are there boards with known issues?

Nick
    Rooftree
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 83
    Re:Motherboard 2010/08/23 13:22:02 (permalink)
    I just built an i7-930 DAW for myself using the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard.  I've only used it for a few hours of music production, but all results so far have been excellent.  It's BIOS is flexible and easy to use.  The mobo appears to be of high quality.

In researching components before putting my DAW together, I got the impression that the GA-X58A-UD3R was pretty widely recommended for use with the i7-930.  You'll find lots of just-barely-outdated info about an almost identical mobo (UD5?) for use with the recently discontinued i7-920.

Check out the reviews on Newegg to get a feel for other people's experiences with any component you're thinking of purchasing.

Sonar X2 Producer : Win 7 Pro 64 bit : i7-930 : 6GB RAM : Edirol UA-25EX
    DimPro : Minimoog V : Lounge Lizard
    Prophet 08 : Juno-60 : Odyssey : CS-30 : TR-606 : Korg 01W
    OldNick
    Re:Motherboard 2010/08/23 21:43:50 (permalink)
    OK. Thanks for that direct recommendation. As I live in Australia, I will probably find that the outdated i7 920 is the one I can get!

Nick
    OldNick
    Re:Motherboard 2010/08/23 22:49:07 (permalink)
    HAH! Funnily enough that was on my short list. I had a few to check out and just did not remember that board number.

Nick
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1