Rapture crashing 3 separate 64 bit win 7 computers

Author
Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
2010/08/23 01:25:03 (permalink)

Rapture crashing 3 separate 64 bit win 7 computers

I am so frustrated at the moment, as I fell in love with rapture le just as I was upgrading my computer to 64 biy win7 and have had nothing but problems...a quick rundown... bought a gateway fx6840-01e i7 machine which I really liked as it was a huge improvement on my old dual core amd setup. After loading up lots of stuff (ik, ni, sonar) I had a great evening writing a number of songs then bought the full rapture and sonar (8.5) started crashing saying it was rapture. short version, lots of reinstalls, bugged the forum a few times, finally returned the gateway, got another, same problems, then got an hp 257 cb (another costco i7) and it was fun for an hour till I added another rapture track to my simple 1 track rapture/ 1 vocal song...CRASH.... Nearly all crashes are "Sonar" crashes (ie, the window pops up saying Sonar has encountered a problem and must close, saying it was rapture...) I have had a couple blue screens but most are rapture/sonar.

At first I thought it was the NI Audio Kontrol drivers, but I installed my emu 1820m cards in the second gateway with emus vista 64 drivers, which everyone says work fine in win7 and this crashed too....

I have been kicking myself, given the lost time & energy at not having scraped together the extra funds to have someone like ADK build me a clean machine but funds are tight these days...and I'm wondering if this would have made a difference anyway as this has now happened on 3 computers!

Anyone having any problems like this?  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dana 

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 

13 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Rapture crashing 3 separate 64 bit win 7 computers 2010/08/23 15:47:30 (permalink)
    depends on info you haven't given.

asio / wdm ?

enough buffers ?

you updated the version of rapture to the latest not so long ago?

rapture works for me in win 7-64.. my sound card drivers are bad though.

Genghis
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 827
    Re:Rapture crashing 3 separate 64 bit win 7 computers 2010/08/23 18:44:58 (permalink)
    Are you using the latest update for Rapture?  I think it's version 1.2.2.  It fixes most issues with 64-bit Rapture.  Before that it crashed consistently on my system and many others.  It was frequently brought up on the forum, and the consensus was that it didn't work in x64 for most users.  Now most have reported that it works well.

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
    My Music is Here
    Studio Cat DAW
    brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Rapture crashing 3 separate 64 bit win 7 computers 2010/08/23 19:10:59 (permalink)

installed my emu 1820m cards in the second gateway with emus vista 64 drivers, which everyone says work fine in win7 and this crashed too....

I can't really help you with your Rapture issue, but I can tell you that E-MU's x64 drivers are a little short of "fine" when used with the 1820m on Win7. Both the original x64 Vista drivers (which E-MU does not support on Win7), and the new x64 Win7 beta driver (which E-MU does not support for use with the 1820m ) result in occasional BSODs, calling out ha10kx2k.sys which is a Creative/E-MU driver file. BSODs are generally due to hardware/driver errors, and may be unrelated to your issue with SONAR shutting down when Rapture is loaded.
    Vastman
    Re:Rapture crashing 3 separate 64 bit win 7 computers 2010/08/30 01:29:12 (permalink)
    Fog... it doesn't matter what I use... asio, wdm or the others... it just crashes within several minutes... 
    Genghis... I'm using 1.22, the latest... I've installed, reinstalled many times.

Today I finally got some time and installed Sonar 32 bit, keeping all the vst's separate... 32 bit Rapture works fine, having uninstalled the 64 bit system.... I did my best to crash it, which is soooo easy with the 64 bit version.  In fact, I found I could run 64 bit sonar 8.5 with the 32 bit version just fine...

Guess I'll just keep using the 32 bit version for now.  

I imagine when all is said and done, it's probably something to do with the knockoff motherboards both gateway and hp use in their mass produced machines... I've got a couple months with Costco to try and save enough money up to get a custom made machine with a real ASUS motherboard... then return the hp machine which doesn't do me very well anyway as I was not able to install the emu cards in it (no full pci slot available) nor dual monitor capability which I didn't realize when I got it as it was the only other i7 machine Costco had.  Boy they're probably sick of me... I'm back to using the Audio Kontrol interface I have for my laptop which works just fine...even though windows7 always says the drivers didn't install properly!

I've been reluctant to load up my IK and NI instruments as I'm rapidly using up my authorizations but presume I'll get them back when I fax them my return receipts... at least IK has been very good at helping me from time to time...

Sorry I haven't posted quicker... got so fed up I went into song writing mode minus the computer...

Dana
    VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
    Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
    Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    Vastman
    Re:Rapture crashing 3 separate 64 bit win 7 computers 2010/08/30 01:44:29 (permalink)
    By the way, I just sent cakewalk the mini dumps to see if they can make sense of it.  Also, a few days ago I added a quality tripp-lite batter backup power conditioner to ensure good voltage regulation as I heard that many crashes are due to fluctuating voltages...and for half hour I was on cloud nine as every thing was going great until....crash crash crash...

Brundlefly... thanks for the info on the drivers; I still hope to use the 1820m in the new machine when I get the $$$ together but at least the Audio Kontrol seems to work if the 1820m doesn't work out.  Hope emu gets their drivers together as a lot of us love the 1820m!

Guess I'm the lone wolf having problems... plan to go ahead and load up the rest of my soft-synths throughout the week and start making music again to see if the 32-bit Rapture continues to work and/or no other problems crop up

I really appreciate your thoughts.  It's been really frustrating, brimming over with song ideas and dealing with the crashes!  You all are great!

Dana
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    bysbox1
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re:Rapture crashing 3 separate 64 bit win 7 computers 2010/08/31 00:06:16 (permalink)
    You are not alone.  The 64bit version of Rapture crashes on both of my workstations and I have an RME Multiface II and a Fireface 800.  I have gotten to the point where if I get a piece of software in 64 bit that works funny like that I don't troubleshoot it anymore.  I just stop using it and move on.  It stinks because rapture sounds great, but I have no time for crashes and debugging software that vendors should do before they release it . . . .

Byron Thomas X-1/Velocity/Curve Recordings
    Altitude Studios
    www.altitudegrooves.com

2 Computers, 2 Intel Core2Quads, 8 UAD Cards . . . What more can one ask for?
    Vastman
    Re:Rapture crashing 3 separate 64 bit win 7 computers 2010/09/07 03:37:37 (permalink)
    bysbox1, thanks for your post... I felt I was alone in the Cakewalk universe!

Since my last post I got a nice email from cakewalk support, asking lots of questions, which I answered... 

Also, I found that if I totally uninstall all instances of rapture and just reinstall the 32 bit version it does not crash while running either 32 bit or 64 bit Sonar. I had to be very careful to ensure that everything got installed to the x86 Sonar 32bit file locations, which I think is important... they could improve the installation routine on this a bit as it seemed to want to install some parts to the 64bit program area.    This is now my way of operating... I've been using Rapture for days now, running Sonar 64bit with Rapture 32 bit only, crash free.  You might want to do this, as it is working just fine in this configuration.

I have also just placed an order with egghead for a well thought out list of high quality parts to build my own clean i7 based computer.  I spent weeks on this and it was time well spent.  My friend who owns a computer repair shop is going to put it together for me and after I break it in I'm going to return the HP to Costco... I so appreciate their 3 month warrenty and feel bad about all the returns but can't help but think... since many are fine with Rapture 64bit.... that it's those damn no-name cheap china knockoff motherboards and other parts in the mass produced machines!

The parts alone are costing me $1400 from new egg but I'm getting an i7950 out of the deal, a super quiet package, win7pro (no 16gig memory limit), and a totally clean install...

I hope my problems with Rapture 64 become history once I get the new rig up and running... I SO love Rapture and if it all works out ok, will let you all know... I guess it will prove/disprove the difficulty any synth designer has in trying to get a rock solid product together that works on all sorts of computer builds... 

This has been a real experience for me but while down I've written lots of new material, learned an awful lot about computers, and will hopefully end up with a trouble free rig that is far superior to the mass produced unit I am currently having trouble with...

Will let you all know....

thanks again for all your thoughts and ideas.  If all works out in the end, I'll post my parts list for the record.

post edited by Vastman - 2010/09/07 03:42:44

Dana
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    windsurfer25x
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re:Rapture crashing 3 separate 64 bit win 7 computers 2010/09/16 13:34:23 (permalink)
    I updated Rapture to the lastest Rapture 64 bit update and I've still had the unexplicable crash occasionally

Sonar X1 Expanded PE 64 bit
    Intel i7 2600k oc'd, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, intel 320 SSD OS drive, 7200RPM HDDx2, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit VS 100, Tascam US-2000, UAD2 - Izotope, Fabfilter, NI Komplete 7/Kore2 & +, Spectrasonics+

http://www.maskensmobilestudio.com

BrucieBonus
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Rapture crashing 3 separate 64 bit win 7 computers 2010/09/17 11:16:59 (permalink)
    Until yesterday I too had a problem with Rapture causing Sonar x64 to crash, even on the simplest of tracks (with an occasional blue screen too).

I'd just upgraded to Sonar 8.53 so assumed I had everything completely up-to-date, ready for x64 operations.

Turns out the existing Rapture plug-in, although supposed to work with 64-bit, never got updated with any of the content updates or software patches, and it was the cause of these crashes.

It might sound painfully obvious but my advice to people experiencing this crash is make sure you get the latest Rapture update from the website (even if you think everything else in your Sonar version should be up-to-date). http://www.cakewalk.com/support/kb/reader.aspx?ID=2007013167

Anyway, it worked for me! (Sorry windsurferx, appreciate you've already gone down this route) 
    jm24
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2127
    Re:Rapture crashing 3 separate 64 bit win 7 computers 2010/09/18 20:46:13 (permalink)
    Fur real: you swapped computers twice because one plugin did not work?

Had a client a couple of years ago that installed windows seven times because of crashes. The actual cause? A bad IDE cable.

And: only the 32 OR the 64 of rapture should be installed. Not both. Cannot update properly when both are thar.

I would have asked what other stuff had I done to each machine that could result in such a problem. Lots of stuff does not work yet with 64. Including MIDI drivers for hardware and soft pipes.

Mouse and video driver conflicts have always caused problems.

Had a bad keyboard that caused intermittant problems. Swapped an MB cuz of that.

3 computers, same problem, same operator??????

J

==================================
    This software is woven on native looms,
     and compiled with authentic colors.
      Inherent in this technique
       is the possibility of slight imperfections,
         which give this application
          its unique and desirable characteristics.

windsurfer25x
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1120
    Re:Rapture crashing 3 separate 64 bit win 7 computers 2010/09/19 22:34:27 (permalink)
    I have everything up to date and am still experiencing the occasional crash.
    Sonar 8.5.3 64 bit, Rapture 1.2.2 (the 64 bit patch) etc.. 

Sonar X1 Expanded PE 64 bit
    Intel i7 2600k oc'd, 16Gb DDR3 RAM, intel 320 SSD OS drive, 7200RPM HDDx2, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit VS 100, Tascam US-2000, UAD2 - Izotope, Fabfilter, NI Komplete 7/Kore2 & +, Spectrasonics+

http://www.maskensmobilestudio.com

sqye
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 307
    Re:Rapture crashing 3 separate 64 bit win 7 computers 2010/10/10 19:32:54 (permalink)

Rapture 32 and 64 crashing me.

Dim Pro, as well.

Moving to Native Instruments and Spectrasonics.

I'm currently blown away. Never thought I'd see the day where CW's own synths didn't work as well as NI synths.

I'm running 23 instances of Kontakt 4, multiple versions of Massive, Kore, Battery, Absynth, etc. and my machine is screaming.

Wish I could use Rapture and Dim Pro...

Oh, well.

post edited by sqye - 2010/10/10 19:34:48

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37559046@N00/

jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny

STUDIO CAT i7 950 : 12GB RAM : Win7x64 : Producer 8.5.3x64 : Komplete 8 : Symphobia : Omnisphere+Trilian+Stylus : BFD2 : 
    RME UFX : Kontrol Rig : Buzz Audio ARC : GT-67 : Mo Tone Custom Tele : Linkwitz Orions : Tyler Acoustics Linbrooks 5.1 
    shenhua00
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Rapture crashing 3 separate 64 bit win 7 computers 2010/11/02 22:45:44 (permalink)
    You could ask one of the
    Buy Aion Gold: Varya or Cunningham-they are the big

hitters. I am soaking wet on a buck. I could not keep up with them with a subscription to Elias

Sports Bureau, and a £ 5 thesaurus.Check from Matt Goldberg. He is for a few
    Buy WOW Gold later he wrote faster than Michael Phelps collected

Medals and earned a slot in the prestigious series of featured columnists like Vincent Heck, Asher

Chancey
    WOW Power Leveling... not to mention Gary Suess. How

can I jealous of a man named after the greatest poets of all time? I feel like I should give him a

hug. Not on a carpet or near a bug-hug just like him I think are a mug. There even some girls run up

the ranks. As Aion level. She dishing Phillies' food for over a year and draws hundreds of reads

with every post
    WOW Gold.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1