Running Sonar mixes /tracks out to analog

Author
robbyk
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 705
2010/08/23 13:13:13 (permalink)

Running Sonar mixes /tracks out to analog

Any advice is appreciated.

I have a Lexicon MPX 500 Dual Channel Processor and an old Audio-Technica AT-RMX64 6-Input Mixer and I have been considering experimenting with running a track or even a CD mix out out through the board from Sonar to see if it will add any warmth or air, etc.

I have often read about this eg [EQ Mag, Sept 2010, p66] "he [Andy Johns] likes to run it through an analog mixer, because it just gives it a little plump" but as a new convert to Sonar and the digital realm, I still have a lot to learn.

Specifically, I'm thinking about warming up some harsh synths or guitar tracks created in Line 6 podfarm, adding analog reverb to vocals and even running an entire song through for warmth prior to mastering or even an entire CD mix for just a touch of reverb to add album coherence...

Is this common practice? Am I on the right track in considering this?

Thanks again.

"I'm just workin' on a good life, the way it is."

Best, Robby K 

PC Specs: Dell XPS Tower, Intel Core i5 7400 CPU 3 GHz @, 8 GB RAM
Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
Studio

15 Replies Related Threads

dontletmedrown
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1722
    Re:Running Sonar mixes /tracks out to analog 2010/08/23 13:22:55 (permalink)
    I do it all the time with outboard compression and EQ.  Try it!
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Running Sonar mixes /tracks out to analog 2010/08/23 14:14:46 (permalink)
    Yea, I do it all the time with EQ and compression also. But I do it with entire mixes and not single tracks for the most part
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Sijel
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 487
    Re:Running Sonar mixes /tracks out to analog 2010/08/23 14:16:50 (permalink)
    he [Andy Johns] likes to run it through an analog mixer, because it just gives it a little plump

Maybe he does, but he's also quoted as saying "You don't get your sound out of a console, you get your sound from the room." (ref: http://bobbyowsinski.com/The_Mixing_Engineers_Handbook_-_Andy_Johns_Interview.html)

I used to play with external gear a lot.  But since Sonar 8.5, I've been exclusively mixing in the box.
    Vintage Channel, Guitar amp sims and some of the other plugins (like from PSP) have provided enough warmth inside the box for me.  IMHO, it's just so much simpler than screwing around with the racks.
    Now, if I had a spare Neve console like Andy might have, I might think otherwise...

Microsoft Surface Book w/ Surface dock, dual 24-inch HD displays,
    Sonar Platinum, THD 4, GuitarRig, Amplitube, (Kontakt4), Garritan PO, Trillian Bass 1.3,  Roland Octa-Capture, Waves Gold & various Waves, PSP and T-Racks plugins.

KRK Rokit6, Lefty Guitars & Bass, racks/pedals galore and many other fun things.
    drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re:Running Sonar mixes /tracks out to analog 2010/08/23 15:21:41 (permalink)
    Nothing wrong with going outside the box if you have some analog gear you like.

But I would fix "harsh" sounding stuff at the source, or not use it all, before trying to "fix" it with some mythological analog magic bullet.
    robbyk
    Re:Running Sonar mixes /tracks out to analog 2010/08/23 21:47:53 (permalink)
    CJ, Dave

Thanks for the reply! Sounds like EQ and compression are major uses, now I'm lusting after outboard gear, too! Maybe an API

Sijel, I like PSP plugins too, I'll go back to some of those too. I also wish I had acces to a Neve console!

Drewfx1, you are correct, always do it right and then it's good to go.

Well that's what I was wondering so thank you all much for the expert feedback! I'm going to go and check it out!

brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Running Sonar mixes /tracks out to analog 2010/08/24 14:17:10 (permalink)

m thinking about warming up some harsh synths or guitar tracks created in Line 6 podfarm, adding analog reverb to vocals

The MPX 500, like the vast majority of hardware reverbs, is digital, not analog. Just because an effect is in a hardware box does not make it analog. It might be a great reverb, and worth using for its particular sound, but it won't add "analog warmth".

I wouldn't expect too much from a solid-state analog mixing board, either. The analog input and output sections of your interface and the transducers in your mics and monitors are already adding several layers of analog transfer to your "harsh" digital signal. If that's not getting it, a pass through a neutral mixer isn't likely to change that.

What most people mean by "analog warmth" is the effect of vacuum tube amplification and/or magnetic tape saturation, or  at least analog compression or EQ as CJay is referring to.

post edited by brundlefly - 2010/08/24 14:18:42
    robbyk
    Re:Running Sonar mixes /tracks out to analog 2010/08/24 16:19:28 (permalink)
    brundlefly

That is fabulous advice and clears up a LOT in my mind...so basically I should be looking for something like a dbx 386 [tube preamp] to warm up my mixes...

Regarding my old board and reverb, thanks for pointing that out, as it went over my head as I was thinking about it the past week...so for that I can use it basically as a really nice reverb if I choose.

Thanks so much!
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Running Sonar mixes /tracks out to analog 2010/08/24 16:27:53 (permalink)
    It's a can be a good idea if what you are using is high end analog equipment and you think that analog is better sounding than good quality digital equipment for some reason. But that board is not hi end and if you don't like the sounds you are recording, running them through a magic box will not help.
    I miss using a mixing desk for a few reasons but I'll get over it. 
    post edited by johnnyV - 2010/08/24 17:00:28

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

CJaysMusic
    Re:Running Sonar mixes /tracks out to analog 2010/08/24 16:31:22 (permalink)
    CJ, Dave

Thanks for the reply! Sounds like EQ and compression are major uses, now I'm lusting after outboard gear, too! Maybe an API

Sigel, I like PSP plugins too, I'll go back to some of those too. I also wish I had access to a Neve console!

Drewfx1, you are correct, always do it right and then it's good to go.

Well that's what I was wondering so thank you all much for the expert feedback! I'm going to go and check it out!

haha, just remember that the quality of your converters may come into play when you take something back out and back into your DAW. The better your A/D and D/A converters are, the most likely you will be degrading your audio signal.
    Also take into account, the quality of your hardware gear and the noise it may introduce.

So if you want to be doing this, you may want to invest in some high end converters
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Running Sonar mixes /tracks out to analog 2010/08/24 16:43:36 (permalink)
    One can add all the "warmth" one wants with plugins.  Warmth by the way is distortion. What you are hearing with Sonar is what its supposed to sound like.

What people need to do instead of comparing an analog recording to digital is really compare digital to the unrecorded sound. Then compare it to analog and an unrecorded sound. See which is closest. Digital will win every time. I don't care how good the analog gear is.

Best
    John
    CJaysMusic
    Re:Running Sonar mixes /tracks out to analog 2010/08/24 16:55:51 (permalink)
    Then compare it to analog and an unrecorded sound. See which is closest. Digital will win every time. I don't care how good the analog gear is.

Unless they lie because they think its rigged!! OH, that was another thread...LOL Sorry

Audio Blog
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Running Sonar mixes /tracks out to analog 2010/08/24 16:58:13 (permalink)
    CJaysMusic

Then compare it to analog and an unrecorded sound. See which is closest. Digital will win every time. I don't care how good the analog gear is.

Unless they lie because they think its rigged!! OH, that was another thread...LOL Sorry

Yep, I know of which you are referring. LOL Loudly.

Best
    John
    CJaysMusic
    Re:Running Sonar mixes /tracks out to analog 2010/08/24 17:03:28 (permalink)
    LOL, Thats good, because only a few will probably get that joke
    Cj

Audio Blog
    robbyk
    Re:Running Sonar mixes /tracks out to analog 2010/08/24 23:25:17 (permalink)
    Well I didn't get the joke but all that matters is I do have my nose in my Sweetwater catalog right now.

I really appreciate all the advice and good natured help, I love learning and I really love working with Sonar and recording for all of 1 year now; I've got a ways to go but I'm enjoying the ride! 
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Running Sonar mixes /tracks out to analog 2010/08/25 13:49:58 (permalink)
    The joke was from a long winded thread reguarding how even pro's couldn't hear the difference bla bla bla. It's a hot topic hear Analog VS Digital etc. Don't worry about it.
    Bottom line is garbage in garbage out so good recordings always start with good sounds and good playing.  You mentioned wanting to make some harsh sounds better by running them through analog gear.
    There are some who will still master to tape to get the sound they like, But they are using very good equipment. You and I probably can't afford that stuff so don't worry, the equipment you have will work to make great recordings if you take the time to do each step properly.
    I listened to some of your stuff on your web site. Good voice nice and clear and warm sounding, There a lot of distortion on the tracks. I don't know how you encoded them but you might want to re do them.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1