Mixing VS Creating

Author
Daylaa
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 547
2010/08/24 11:55:16 (permalink)

Mixing VS Creating

Can i just say: ARRRRGH!

A few years ago i could make a song and LOVE it because i was 'innocent'. I hadn't begun educating myself on the world of mixing and engineering/manipulating sound. I played around with sounds on my keyboard, recorded songs, added vocals. The only 'mixing' i did was panning and simply making sure i selected the right patches to fit the song. Done.

I listen back to my old favorites and think "With my 'new' ears, i can hear 10000 problems with this...But what a great song."

Present day...i sit at my keyboard and come up with cool little chord progressions/beats/leads. I'll record them. I might loop them a little. But then i start adding EQ and compression and a few FX and what i end up with is a great sounding SECTION. There's no song. I seem un-able to actually ARRANGE a song anymore. If i do then come up with a new section, it doesn't flow or link-in to the previous section. I'm building songs in horrible 'blocks' rather than having the song 'build itself' like it used to.

Can anyone else relate to this?

I think i need to go back to basics - make a SONG before i even begin to EQ or compress. Maybe i just need to leave those dials ALONE.

Furthermore, LYRICS, for me, are the product of having an instrumental track recorded, and then listening to it over and over on your ipod until the meaning of the song jumps out and the words write themselves...but this seems to take a LOOOONG time. I have not even atempted to record lyrics for too long.

Nothing is working. My HD is becomming a ghost town of half made ideas.

Sonar X3 Producer
Rain Computer's Nimbus Z2 I7 Processor
32GB RAM
Windows 7 Pro

Solid State HD
M Audio Audiophile 192
M Audio Studiophile BX5a Deluxe's

Edirol PCR 500
Melodyne

3 External HDrvs

I am 'I Woke a Giant' Hear my stuff at:
https://soundcloud.com/i-woke-a-giant

14 Replies Related Threads

dontletmedrown
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1722
    Re:Mixing VS Creating 2010/08/24 12:44:49 (permalink)
    Yeah, I can relate.  Over time, I've learned to separate the two.  When I'm composing I just refuse to do any sort of mixing whatsoever.  Then once composition is finished I plan mixing for another day so I can attack it with fresh ears.  Seems to be working better.  In fact-- sometimes it never ends up getting mixed because I decide the song is just not good enough to justify the time spent.  If that's the case I spend that time composing a brand new song instead.
    guitardog247
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1226
    Re:Mixing VS Creating 2010/08/24 12:54:54 (permalink)
    Yes I relate to all of the above. It's because of the DAW thing for me really, so many tools and so many decisions. And I've spent years trying to figure out my "sound". 

My wife even noticed that I was just dicking around with software plugins and vst's, and never really ever getting an actual "song" down and recorded. She said "you need to just sit with an acoustic guitar and write songs first". My answer was that I just needed to get the right work flow, then I could create on the DAW.

So years later, after she said that, because I kept honing my work flow. I now, just "sit and write songs on the acoustic guitar".

I'll either make lyrics up that are inspired by the music. Or I have lyrics that I just sat down and wrote on my lunch break.  Anyway, I finish a song completly with acoustic guitar before tracking in the DAW.

But that's just me, and I'm sure there's as many ways to go about things as there are people on this forum, and beyond.

My advice: focus on your strengths. What are you best at musically? Start there, and focus. Then the other stuff just requires lots of practice and experience.

Sonar, Les Paul Studio, FTU, puter, plugs.........
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Mixing VS Creating 2010/08/24 13:00:28 (permalink)
    wow....can i ever relate!
    It's a very important point you've brought up.

I used to (for decades) mumble or play ideas into a cheap cassette recorder and play it often to get the song to sprout and grow.   Now, because cakewalk is so handy, i'll drop ideas right into a track...then, since i'm already in there, i'll tweak sounds or look for more sounds and before you know it the idea has starved to death.
    Now i don't go near the pc until there's an entire song (musically anyway).

Mixing, although very creative, is not the same as writing a song.  Now i've learned to keep the two stages separate.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Searchfinger
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re:Mixing VS Creating 2010/08/24 13:03:11 (permalink)
    We're on the same boat.

When I was younger, i could just grab the guitar, strum a few chords and make up a song from the movie i just saw.  Most of them are just forgotten coz i never record them.

Nowadays, I have the tools i need but i always find it hard to finish a project because of the technical aspect of it that's turning off the inspiration.

But I'm still trying and eventually, i manage to finish some of them although it takes a long long time.
    guitardog247
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1226
    Re:Mixing VS Creating 2010/08/24 13:14:08 (permalink)
    wow, I see the trend here.......... I'm glad the DAW has ruined songwriting for others!! LOL.............

Daylaa, remember the production is meant to bring the SONG out to full life, and reallly make it shine..... not meant to BE the song.

So for instance, if you have a great song with just keyboard - with vocals/lyrics. Then, imagine how much greater it will be with production.

Anway, that was how it was done in the old days. Like the others said, you just wrote a song a guitar and tape recorder.

I'm still waiting for someone to talk about how they do all their writing on the DAW. I'm sure some do, and it works for them too.

Sonar, Les Paul Studio, FTU, puter, plugs.........
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:Mixing VS Creating 2010/08/24 15:15:37 (permalink)
    I can also definitely relate. If you can sit down and sing it against an acoustic guitar or keyboard, and it resonates, then it's going to stand up when you've got it all pimped out (mostly likely, though obviously you can still screw it up.) And of course if you work it out that way and just live with it for a few weeks and months and give it time to evolve a little and start hearing how it's going to sound in the end, you'll be so much more prepared.

I know this in my bones, and I don't freakin do it like I should.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:Mixing VS Creating 2010/08/24 15:52:41 (permalink)
    I can't say I get this one.
    I record a REALLY REALLY ROUGH demo of a song, and leave it at that.  I play them to myself as much as possible until it develops into a better song.
    When i have 9 or 10 of these, THAT'S the point where I'll think about recording and mixing.

This way i'm not trying to polish a turd.  If I've got nothing good to say, i'll wait.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:Mixing VS Creating 2010/08/24 15:53:53 (permalink)
    Slugbaby

This way i'm not trying to polish a turd.  If I've got nothing good to say, i'll wait.

This, of course, only applies to recording.  On a forum I don't shut up whether i've got something good to say or not. 

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Mixing VS Creating 2010/08/24 15:58:26 (permalink)
    With all the toys and all the options and plug ins we have just a click away... it is too easy to get the cart before the horse...as the saying goes.

I am tempted to drop a few plugs into my early projects to make them sound better to the ear... and I think there is nothing wrong with that as long as the DAW can process it all, AND record the next track in real time and 100% synced up.

On writing and composing.... I have done a few songs in segments... but mostly I like to write a song 100% complete or nearly so.... on acoustic guitar with vox or on a piano with vox.  I personally don't like to waste time recording anything that is not complete..... I have and yeah I delete ideas that go nowhere.... but most of the time, I won't even fire up the DAW until the idea is solid.

then and only then do I spend the time to start recording it.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Daylaa
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re:Mixing VS Creating 2010/08/24 17:42:54 (permalink)
    Everyone - thanks for the input. I'm so glad i am not the only one. Something like this really gets me down because, (as with all of us here i'm sure) being musically productive is ESSENTIAL to me. And when it doesn't happen, i feel very down.

Ok from today i'm going to make a song first. I have a controller, not a keyboard, so i kinda have to be in Sonar, but i will resist the call of the EQ machine (and especially Mr Compressor) until i have an arrangement.

Sometimes just knowing you're not alone with a problem helps.
    Cheers to you all.

Sonar X3 Producer
    Rain Computer's Nimbus Z2 I7 Processor
    32GB RAM
    Windows 7 Pro

Solid State HD
    M Audio Audiophile 192
    M Audio Studiophile BX5a Deluxe's

Edirol PCR 500
    Melodyne

3 External HDrvs

I am 'I Woke a Giant' Hear my stuff at:
    https://soundcloud.com/i-woke-a-giant
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:Mixing VS Creating 2010/08/25 04:18:54 (permalink)
    Slugbaby

I can't say I get this one.
    I record a REALLY REALLY ROUGH demo of a song, and leave it at that.  I play them to myself as much as possible until it develops into a better song.
    When i have 9 or 10 of these, THAT'S the point where I'll think about recording and mixing.

I do a similar sort of thing. I'm in the process of preparing songs for my album so I'm recording pretty rough demos for them (just chuck a mic somewhere near the source, no treatments and record one take only, a little bit of volume adjusting and we're done). I'll put all these songs onto my ipod and just keep listening over and over, slowly developing all the full components of the production in my head.

I certainly do now notice so much wrong with my old stuff. But that includes the quality of the song itself. So I feel like I'm improving in my writing, composing, recording and mixing ability! I have the inspiration bug at the moment. Had it for about 2 months now (lost it for about 2 years) so I'm so excited to make music right now! But unfortunately life is getting in the way a little too much :( It always happens doesn't it...

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Mixing VS Creating 2010/08/25 08:55:14 (permalink)
    With my songs, I write mostly with my acoustic guitar and a notebook (sometimes now with Masterwriter & BB) and never turn on a recorder. I also will use BB to write with, generally further into the process, but on occasion I have used it to write a whole song from start to finish. (Coming Home and Something to Die For.... is an example of a song written totally in BB from scratch)

I never record the melody..... instead, I prefer to sing it multiple times as I craft the words.... since the melody and rhythm of it can change as the song evolves. Then at the end of the evening or writing session, I sing it one more time...and might write the letters of the first few notes of the melody as a memory jog.

Next day or time I come back to it... I play it through as best I can remember it. Quite often, I will now let the melody evolve yet again. My goal at this point is to finish writing the lyric and pin down the final melody and rhythm.

Once that is done.... I begin the recording process.

When the recording begins, the writing is usually finished.... except for the occasional word change. Tracking usually goes pretty smoothly. and with a few days work, the song is finished and in a presentable condition.... for the most part. then I copyright and post it....
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/08/25 08:57:51

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    UbiquitousBubba
    • Total Posts : 8912
    Re:Mixing VS Creating 2010/08/25 11:03:47 (permalink)
    In my case, the vast majority of the "writing" process is a mental effort.  I arrange patterns mentally until a song structure is created.  These may consist of drum, bass, guitar, keyboard, and/or vocal patterns.  I tend to get all of the various rhythms worked out in detail before starting to work on a melody.  I'll usually break the vocal part down into a melodic/rhythmic structure that fits within the instrumental patterns.  In many cases, this will help me dictate the number of syllables each line will need.  Based upon this structure, I'll write lyrics.  If something doesn't fit, I'll either re-work the lyric to express a similar thought within the confines of the music, or change the music to fit the lyric.  Most of the time, I'm changing the lyric.

I'll often go through this entire process before I've actually written anything on paper or recorded a track.  When I start laying down tracks, I'm just working through the patterns that have been in my head for several weeks/months/years.  It's a real relief to actually get the tracks laid down so it's finally out of my head!

If a song is just not happening, I mentally file it away and let my subconscious work on it for awhile.  In some cases, it's years before that song surfaces again to haunt me.  Usually, the new version is better and much more like what I wanted it to be in the first place.

The positive thing about this approach is that I know what I want the song to be when I record it.  The downside is that it takes me forever to finish anything.  If I'm frequently interrupted, or if I'm too busy to spend time daydreaming through these songs, they just churn below the surface until they reach critical mass.
    JD1813
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 813
    Re:Mixing VS Creating 2010/08/25 12:50:30 (permalink)
    David, just to toss in my two cents, I'm at exactly the same place you seem to be describing.  I can recall being much happier just several short years ago when I had so much LESS to work with as far as fancy edting tools.  In fact, I consider that I was actually a much better musician then too, because I simply sat and played a guitar or piano and sang into a mic - so I actually WORKED at it - practicing a piece for endless hours often for weeks, before finally being comfortable enough ti hit "Record" and I'd play the whole piece in one take because I didn't know HOW to edit, step record, loop,  etc.    I'm sure many on here can relate.

Presently, I am reaching a better understanding of the very different processes of Tracking verses Mixing.  And yeah, I feel like the first steps are the  really creative ones, yet once the song is there, there is still so much that can be done to enhance it in mixing and mastering and those are still way beyond my grasp.

Finally, I do so relate to the frustrations you feel once your ears get "tuned" in to notice so much more than before!  I think about that every single time I record now.  As Herb has said so well, you really want to keep from putting the cart before the horse, and build that song the best you can in its raw form (totally dry) because FX only muddies things up otherwise.
    This is a great thread to dwell on and there's volumes that can be said - so many others on here will have far more to say than I can offer.
    Thanks for posting this !  Best wishes!
    ~ John

-John  *Acer Notebook Win7 Pro-x64 /Edirol USB UA-4FX/SP B1 Mic/Sonar PE X2a; Alesis QS-7 & Ovation 12-String.  Site: www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1007877

Technology drives me to drink. Fortunately, it's a short drive..
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1