Modifying Track Height in Console View

Author
ardjunc
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 39
2010/08/25 08:47:13 (permalink)

Modifying Track Height in Console View

I am running Producer 8.5 on a laptop. The channel strips are not fully viewable in Console view. Is there a way to change just the vertical sizing of the window to eliminate the vertical scroll bar?

17 Replies Related Threads

strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    Re:Modifying Track Height in Console View 2010/08/25 09:02:08 (permalink)
    On the left there is a button to make them thinner.
    You can also affect what's actually on view over there too.
    You can also alter your PC resolution for a better fit.
    You can also alter the height view of what's on show with all those buttons on the left
    post edited by strikinglyhandsome1 - 2010/08/25 09:04:33
    Twigman
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3667
    Re:Modifying Track Height in Console View 2010/08/25 09:30:34 (permalink)
    if only one could alter the size of the track name window or the orientation of the text there-in - perhaps then I'd know what each track related to without having to solo it first!!!

Become a Fan on Facebook
    Buy our stuff on iTunes
    Q9550-P5QL-E-8GB1066RAM-GT9800 1GB-RME HDSP9632-W7Prox64-X2x64
    rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    Re:Modifying Track Height in Console View 2010/08/25 10:53:45 (permalink)
    Ardjunc, you can't change the actual vertical size of the channel strips but as strikingly was pointing out, you can choose what is included in the view, effectively changing the channel strip height.  The first you don't need are the icons - the cute pictures showing instruments, wave forms etc.

Twigman - You can't tell what's on a track without soloing it--?  If you choose short, logical names for your tracks, that shouldn't be a problem.  "Bass" "Drums" "Keys" etc--all of those words fit easily in the space you're given, even with the narrow strip view.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    Twigman
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3667
    Re:Modifying Track Height in Console View 2010/08/25 11:23:04 (permalink)
    rbowser

Twigman - You can't tell what's on a track without soloing it--?  If you choose short, logical names for your tracks, that shouldn't be a problem.  "Bass" "Drums" "Keys" etc--all of those words fit easily in the space you're given, even with the narrow strip view. 

Randy
    I tend to use long track names - I like to reference not only the instrument 'bass/drums guitar etc' but also something about that line and find that when I use several eg guitar lines example Guitar1 - clean Verse and Guitar1 - dirty Middle Eight and Guitar2 - Clean Chorus and Guitar2 - dirty Chorus  etc then that starts to overfill the box.

When I have Reason rewired I like to reference, in the track name, the fact that I am using a Reason channel and which of the 64 Reason outputs it uses (whether a left or a right channel)as well as where to find in my Reason rack the 'sound' that is being used. So I might have a track called Violins - Legato - Reason7L - NNXT4 - That refernces in one place everything I need to know about the track. The Input box, especially when rewired to reason isn't even long enough in console view the tell me which Reason channel a signal is coming in from - I find myself switching back to Track View all the time.

It would be much more useable in console view if longer track names could be used.

Become a Fan on Facebook
    Buy our stuff on iTunes
    Q9550-P5QL-E-8GB1066RAM-GT9800 1GB-RME HDSP9632-W7Prox64-X2x64
    Alegria
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2075
    Re:Modifying Track Height in Console View 2010/08/25 11:34:21 (permalink)
    "Twigman"

It would be much more useable in console view if longer track names could be used.

I also end up with very long track names and that won't change any time soon, but there's no need to switch between Track and Console view. Use the tooltip that pops up whenever your mouse pointer is above the track name in Console view. That's all I need whenever I end up confused about certain tracks.

Regards,
    jc

ardjunc
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re:Modifying Track Height in Console View 2010/08/25 11:40:41 (permalink)
    Thanks!

Your insights come from experience. I did not think of reducing the number of viewable items.

Ardjunc 
    rbowser
    Re:Modifying Track Height in Console View 2010/08/25 11:53:44 (permalink)
    Twigman

rbowser

Randy
    I tend to use long track names - I like to reference not only the instrument 'bass/drums guitar etc' but also something about that line and find that when I use several eg guitar lines example Guitar1 - clean Verse and Guitar1 - dirty Middle Eight and Guitar2 - Clean Chorus and Guitar2 - dirty Chorus  etc then that starts to overfill the box.

When I have Reason rewired I like to reference, in the track name, the fact that I am using a Reason channel and which of the 64 Reason outputs it uses (whether a left or a right channel)as well as where to find in my Reason rack the 'sound' that is being used. So I might have a track called Violins - Legato - Reason7L - NNXT4 - That refernces in one place everything I need to know about the track. The Input box, especially when rewired to reason isn't even long enough in console view the tell me which Reason channel a signal is coming in from - I find myself switching back to Track View all the time.

Ah, I see.  Thanks for explaining, Twig - This must be why I see "longer track names" as a requested feature on threads for changes in Sonar people would like to see.

After responding earlier I realized that having different requirements for track names would vary a lot depending on the type of music and style of production someone's using.  I generally only need the name of each instrument because I'm working with orchestral music most often.  Flute track - that's all it is, for instance.

But that's a great recommendation from Alegria - Your cursor shows the full track name without you having to solo the track.

Ardjunc, glad you discovered how you can customize what's shown in your channel strips.  For me, just having the icons turned off makes the strips fit on my screen with room to spare.  But you're likely to not always need the FX bins, or the EQs either - more options for things to hide.  They can always be turned back on easily.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Positively Charged
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 744
    Re:Modifying Track Height in Console View 2010/08/25 17:04:59 (permalink)
    I kind of like the icons.  Their presence or absence is not material to the quality of my console display.

I really just wish I could "set" the size of the tracks, either by pixels or by dragging track 1's "handles".  I want to adjust widths, yes.  But also height and width of the meters.

I want my meters to be monstrously huge and disco-bright so that I can see them from my drum kit in the living room, about 20-25 feet away.  I don't care if they're so bright they scare the birds away from my swimming pool.

Everything in the Console view is too small, but my monitor is a 27" screen running in native 1920X1080 resolution!  Yes, it's a nice big monitor, but I still feel like I'm performing neurosurgery with microscopic tools whenever I have to press buttons or drag sliders in the console view.  And it's not much better in project view, either!  << those aren't my glasses, they are portable electron microsocopes! 
    post edited by Positively Charged - 2010/08/25 17:06:14
    rbowser
    Re:Modifying Track Height in Console View 2010/08/25 17:25:56 (permalink)
    Hi, Positively Charged

"...Everything in the Console view is too small, but my monitor is a 27" screen running in native 1920X1080 resolution!  Yes, it's a nice big monitor, but I still feel like I'm performing neurosurgery with microscopic tools whenever I have to press buttons or drag sliders in the console view..."

Is the Console View filling your screen?  Probably - But you're seeing more of the Console at a time than I am because of your huge resolution.  I'm 1400 X 900, which is a great resolution size for most everything.  I'm working on my laptop - whatever screen size this is.

Higher resolutions make things look smaller you know---Why don't you experiment with setting it lower so things can be larger on your screen?  All my Console controls are a good size, easily used.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    djjhart@aol.com
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2189
    Re:Modifying Track Height in Console View 2010/08/25 17:31:20 (permalink)
    Press H then A to go back

Computer - Intel Q9550, Intel BX48bt2 MB, W8 64 bit. 8 gb Ram, SSD  
    Hardware - Tascam Fw1884 Control surface only, Ni S49 Komplete Kontroll,Roland Quad Capture, Ni Machine,Kore, Focusrite A/D converter, Blue Mic, Roland Gaia, Akai Mpk49, Yamaha HS80 Monitors.
    Software - Sonar Platinum , Vengeance VPS bundle,Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Turnado, NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Dune, Rob Papen  Blade , Delay, Punch Evolved.
     http://soundcloud.com/johnhartson/tracks  
     http://www.youtube.com/user/jhart1313 

Sijel
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 487
    Re:Modifying Track Height in Console View 2010/08/25 17:35:44 (permalink)
    you don't need are the icons - the cute pictures showing instruments, wave forms etc.

Blasphemy!

My resolution is so high that I can't read that silly text in the track.  I use Narrow width to fit more tracks on the Console...so, in that case, Pics are the only way to go!
    (Although, I must admit they take up more vertical height.  So, your advice to someone who is... ahem... "vertically challenged"... is reasonable.)

Microsoft Surface Book w/ Surface dock, dual 24-inch HD displays,
    Sonar Platinum, THD 4, GuitarRig, Amplitube, (Kontakt4), Garritan PO, Trillian Bass 1.3,  Roland Octa-Capture, Waves Gold & various Waves, PSP and T-Racks plugins.

KRK Rokit6, Lefty Guitars & Bass, racks/pedals galore and many other fun things.
    rbowser
    Re:Modifying Track Height in Console View 2010/08/25 18:02:54 (permalink)
    Why all the huge resolutions?  They make most everything look teeny.  I cant stand those resolutions.  I think once you can't read text in a program--you've probably gone a wee bit too large!

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re:Modifying Track Height in Console View 2010/08/25 18:34:09 (permalink)
    I run two 22" wide screens and use the 1900x1080 native res and can see things just fine.

Best
    John
    Positively Charged
    Re:Modifying Track Height in Console View 2010/08/26 10:01:25 (permalink)
    rbowser

Why all the huge resolutions?  They make most everything look teeny.  I cant stand those resolutions.  I think once you can't read text in a program--you've probably gone a wee bit too large!

Randy B.
    Randy, I shall try other resolutions, but to answer your question "why all the huge resolutions?":  

That is the native resolution of my flat panel display, because that is how they make them today.  I'm sure you are aware that each flat panel has its own "native" resolution.  That's all I'm doing; using it at the specs at which it was manufactured. 

Anything else is fuzzy and gives some people eyestrain or headaches.  Like I said, I will try others resolutions, but I'm not enthusiastic about having fuzzy on my screen.

To reiterate my position:  Hardware issues aside, display sizes of onscreen objects can be controlled in SOFTWARE.  Cakewalk already does it in the project view where you can zoom in or zoom out of your track contents.  As another example, Office 2007 and Office 2010 feature this in some of their applications such as Word.

This should be the next step for companies such as Cakewalk, who write software that is often used by people with vision challenges.  That includes the huge number of musicians in their 30's, to their 80's.

We already have a lot of bells and whistles that we don't use.  Why not try to make most screen objects zoomable or resizable?
    post edited by Positively Charged - 2010/08/26 10:07:29
    Positively Charged
    Re:Modifying Track Height in Console View 2010/08/26 10:08:54 (permalink)
    To the OP, sorry for the hijack.  We can carry this conversation on in another thread if necessary...
    rbowser
    Re:Modifying Track Height in Console View 2010/08/26 10:42:47 (permalink)
    Positively Charged

rbowser

Randy B.
    Randy, I shall try other resolutions, but to answer your question "why all the huge resolutions?":  

That is the native resolution of my flat panel display, because that is how they make them today.  I'm sure you are aware that each flat panel has its own "native" resolution.  That's all I'm doing; using it at the specs at which it was manufactured. 

Anything else is fuzzy and gives some people eyestrain or headaches.  Like I said, I will try others resolutions, but I'm not enthusiastic about having fuzzy on my screen.

To reiterate my position:  Hardware issues aside, display sizes of onscreen objects can be controlled in SOFTWARE.  Cakewalk already does it in the project view where you can zoom in or zoom out of your track contents.  As another example, Office 2007 and Office 2010 feature this in some of their applications such as Word.

This should be the next step for companies such as Cakewalk, who write software that is often used by people with vision challenges.  That includes the huge number of musicians in their 30's, to their 80's.

We already have a lot of bells and whistles that we don't use.  Why not try to make most screen objects zoomable or resizable?

Thanks for the patient explanation, Positively Charged - I'm really not ought all that techno-savvy.  When screen resolution was brought up, I was thinking only of the screen resolution as controlled in the computer software itself, not by the resolution possible on the monitor itself.  Now I understand what you're saying.

These kind of resolutions really are huge - and I just know that when I see friends' screen displays, I can't stand how tiny and zoomed out things look.  Using zoom controls in and out while working in software isn't a very appealing solution. 

As your post explains, we're in a time of major transition in regards to resolutions and how software is displayed.

Randy B.

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Positively Charged
    Re:Modifying Track Height in Console View 2010/08/26 10:49:39 (permalink)
    Thanks, Randy.  I'm just thinking that zooming should be implemented for things in addition to the project view.  Such as the console view(s), and even any open VST GUI's.  Now I don't know where the responsibility would lie for that latter one.  Maybe Steinberg, since they are responsible for VST standardization.

But Cakewalk could and should get started on their parts.

And zooming doesn't have to be all that bad.  DAW vendors could implement it with key commands (Steinberg) or key bindings (Cakewalk).  There may even be a way to implement it so that Mackie and other mixer-controllers would be able to zoom/de-zoom based on button definitions.

None of us are getting any younger.  And I am tired of having to wear reading glasses while using my DAWs!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1