Seeking New Computer Advice

Author
Dogfish
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27
2010/08/26 12:23:26 (permalink)

Seeking New Computer Advice

I just purchased Sonar 8.5 Producer and am thinking of getting a new computer.  My old recording rig (running Sonar XL) is a P4 and is in no way up to handling 8.5.  I have a laptop I can use for now (1.79 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core  w/ 1 gig RAM), but my plan is to have a dedicated Desktop used exclusively for music production.  I have found a Dell that meets Cakewalk's recommended specifications for Sonar, but wanted to know what experienced users thought of it before making any purchases.  The machine is a Dell Vostro, with Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 and 4 gigs of RAM, dunning Windows 7 Pro. 64-bit.  More info. here: http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/desktops/vostro-230mt/pd.aspx?refid=vostro-230mt&s=bsd&cs=04&~oid=us~en~4~vostro-230mt-anav2~~.  Cost is roughly $650.  So any opinions?

Also, this is my first post here so be kind.

29 Replies Related Threads

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/08/26 13:07:47 (permalink)

what do you want to do with it?
    how old are you?
    How much money do you make?

the one thing that bounces around in my head about these store bot computers is that they are not very upgradable. Last time I looked inside one of them though was many years ago. maybe things have changed. I just remember not being able to add another (or a couple of) hard drives to a gateway I had.

Don't know if that is true anymore. 

I wouldn't mind that computer but, I don't think it would be that big a step (powerwise) for me (specs below). 

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Dogfish
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/08/26 14:04:20 (permalink)
    Timidi,

To answer your questions, in reverse order:

3.  Comfortable salary (but I have three kids in private school and a wife who "tolerates" but doesn't understand my hobbies, so the less I spend the better).

2.  I just turned 40 (it still hurts to say it).

1.  I want to record original compositions (most in the pop/rock genre, get my system working and then record other people's stuff).  

Maybe a little background would help.  I was a music minor in college and took as many recording classes as possible.  This is when I first started using Cakewalk (simple midi sequence stuff).  I mostly worked with analog tape and got a lot of great experience, but didn't record any of my own material at the time.  After finishing my post-grad work, I put together a modest home studio (the aforementioned Pentium 4 being the heart of it).  Using Cakewalk Pro 8 and then Sonar, put together a handful of decent sounding recordings.  But even then, I wasn't taking full advantage of the software and basically used Sonar as multi-track tape machine.  Then the kids arrived and I didn't do anything.  Last winter, I started playing a band with friends and remembered how much I love this music stuff.  Now I want to record again, but in all honesty, the newest technology has me a little intimidated so I want to be cautious.

Although I'm a guitarist, I can play keys well enough and plan on using synths.  I have a Roland Fantom X8 that I'll use both as a tone generator and midi controller.  I have a small desktop mixer with  a 4 aux bus, that will run into an audio interface (leaning towards a Delta 44).  I will record my guitars both directly (Lin6 Spider 150 & Pod) and via microphone where appropriate.  Drums will be handled through session drummer or the X8, and then obviously mic for vocals.  So recording wise, nothing at all complicated or sophisticated.  The main reason I upgraded to 8.5 producer is for the vocal processing.  The biggest problem I had with my earlier recordings was getting professional sounding vocals (that and I'm an awful singer).

As for your concern about the Vostro, you're right.  There's not much room to upgrade.  I can  upgrade the processor and I'm checking on whether I can eventually add more RAM.  I plan on adding a second hard drive (based on what I've read on the forum, it just seems like the right thing to do).  But I recognize that the computer will still get dated fast.  I built a PC ten years ago, but in all honesty I wasn't all that comfortable doing it and only did so because I had no money.  

I'm been reading through the forums here for a while now, and it seems like many are getting great results with systems less powerful than the Vostro.  There are also plenty having major issues with far more powerful PCs.  I was just hoping to run the machine specs and see if any of you experienced users saw an obvious problems or had other recommendations.  There are ton of wise people here.

No that you have a little more information, any and all recommendations and suggestions are appreciated. 

post edited by Dogfish - 2010/10/18 20:04:16
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/08/26 15:18:58 (permalink)

if any of you experienced users saw an obvious problems or had other recommendations

Problem: It's a Dell. Who knows what's really in there and if it will work well.

Recommendation: go to http://www.studiocat.com and email/call Jim to discuss your needs. You will get the best bang for the buck machine at whatever your budget is, and it will work great with Sonar.

Dogfish
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/08/26 15:25:29 (permalink)
    I'm heading over there now.  Thank you for the link. 
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/08/26 22:31:35 (permalink)
    Jim is your solution.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Dogfish
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/08/26 23:28:03 (permalink)
    Checked out the site, very impressive machines.  A little bit more than I want to spend right now.  I'm going to give Jim a call tomorrow and see if he has something closer to my price range.  I already own Windows 7 software, so maybe I can save some cash doing the install myself.  I've searched the forums and seen that Jim is very generous with his time and knowledge, if nothing else maybe he can keep from from doing something foolish and wasting my money.  I'm installing Sonar 8.5 on my laptop tonight and, if I can get something working, I might wait and buy a system from Jim rather than take a chance.  Timidi and tarsier, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to offer advice.  In the upcoming weeks and months, I know I'm going to be asking a lot of questions and I hope I don't annoy too many of you.  I'll update my profile with a sig line listing my setup so that you all will some insight into what I'm running.  Thanks again.
    Dogfish
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/08/27 00:24:44 (permalink)
    Not that you guys don't already know this, but 8.5 is a slow install if you want everything.  I'm only on disc 2 and it's getting late, but I'm too excited to sleep.

Sonar 8.5 Producer, Behringer XENYX 2442FX, M-Audio Fast TRack Ultra, Roland Fantom X8, Alesis Qs7, Alesis RA-100, Tannoy Proto J, Alesis Monitor One, Line6 POD, Line6 Spider IV 150, Line6 Lowdown 300
    Dogfish
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/08/27 01:00:28 (permalink)
    Sent e-mail to Jim, hopefully all will be well.

Also, I just re-read my earlier posts.  I apologize to all of you for the awful syntax and grammatical errors.  I submit my posts without proofreading.

Sonar 8.5 Producer, Behringer XENYX 2442FX, M-Audio Fast TRack Ultra, Roland Fantom X8, Alesis Qs7, Alesis RA-100, Tannoy Proto J, Alesis Monitor One, Line6 POD, Line6 Spider IV 150, Line6 Lowdown 300
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/08/27 10:02:16 (permalink)
    Sent e-mail to Jim, hopefully all will be well.

You've got Mail...   

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    tarsier
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/08/27 10:44:53 (permalink)
    I know I'm going to be asking a lot of questions and I hope I don't annoy too many of you.

Don't worry about it, that's what we're here for. We were all newbies once, and I for one am grateful for all the help I've gotten over the years. I'm just trying to give a bit back.

But you might get some snide, goofy, bizzare, rude, off-base, hilarious replies somewhere down the line. That's what makes this place so... interesting...
    Dogfish
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/08/27 10:55:49 (permalink)
    Thanks for the quick response Jim.  I've replied and am eagerly awaiting your response.

Dogfish
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/08/27 11:04:23 (permalink)
    tarsier

But you might get some snide, goofy, bizzare, rude, off-base, hilarious replies somewhere down the line. That's what makes this place so... interesting... 

Agreed!  Every forum I've ever frequented has its own interesting dynamic.  So far, I haven't really seen any troll action here which is very nice.  On my end, I'll try not to be the annoying newbie who posts the same question in multiple places or who hijacks threads. And, as I'm sure most of you will appreciate, I will read the manual.  In fact, I'm printing out the entire reference guide today, tabbing it, and putting it in a couple of binders.  Now that doesn't mean I'll understand it, but I'll have read it before I ask questions.

FYI--Install went well last night.  Goal for tonight, actually have sound coming in/out of my audio device.  Piece of cake, right?

Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/08/27 16:18:33 (permalink)
    newbie who posts the same question in multiple places or who hijacks threads

Some Forum "Oldbies" (like me) ... are plenty guilty of hi-jacking threads.  Not malliciously/intentionally...
    Hey... who's ready for some College Football?  

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Dogfish
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/08/27 17:35:26 (permalink)
    Oh yeah!  I'm a Texas grad so I can't wait for the Horn's first game.

BTW--Thanks again for your input Jim.  Everyone here who says you're generous with your time is 100% right.  Hopefully I can convince Mrs. Dogfish to loosen the purse strings.  How quick from order to delivery in a typical case? 
    post edited by Dogfish - 2010/08/27 17:36:42

sandman5000
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 882
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/08/27 18:18:16 (permalink)
    Dogfish

(but I have three kids in private school and a wife who "tolerates" but doesn't understand my hobbies, so the less I spend the better).

If that's is the case and you want to save a good deal of $,  you could always get a known to be good parts list and snap it toghether yourself.  If you recycle some of your old computer parts, it could be really cheap.  Like $600-$700.  I do it all the time.  I end up just upgrading the mobo,  ram and cpu. Or you can go to your local computer place and they will likely put it together for you for free if you order the parts from them.  You'll get tech support from them on the computer parts, and for sonar,  you can always post here. 

here is a known to be good parts list from the CTO of  cakewalk.  I think he would know what works well with sonar!

http://www.noelborthwick....mp/category/computers/

PSU CORSAIR|CMPSU-620HX RT
    CASE ANTEC|SONATA ELITE BK RT
    MB MSI X58M 1366 RT
    VGA EVGA 01G-P3-N945-LR 9400GT 1G R
    CPU INTEL|CORE I7 950 3.06G 45N R
    MEM 2Gx3|CRUC BL3KIT25664TB1337 R
    HD 1.5T|WD 32M SATA2 WD15EADS % 
    DVD BURNER LITE-ON | IHAS424-98 R
    WIRELESS ADAPTER LINKSYS|WMP600N R
    Dogfish
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/08/29 16:17:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice sandnman.  Checking out the link now.

sandman5000
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/08/30 17:48:37 (permalink)
    your welcome.     :)
    Dogfish
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/08/31 15:19:43 (permalink)
    I'm now seriously considering putting together a system on my own.  I'm doing my research now, trying to figure out how much of my current desktop can be recycled into the new machine and what are the best components for the new computer. The Intel i7 price drop has me intrigued.  

Stuart Germain
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/08/31 20:59:10 (permalink)
    Dogfish

I just purchased Sonar 8.5 Producer and am thinking of getting a new computer.  My old recording rig (running Sonar XL) is a P4 and is in no way up to handling 8.5.  I have a laptop I can use for now (1.79 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core  w/ 1 gig RAM), but my plan is to have a dedicated Desktop used exclusively for music production.  I have found a Dell that meets Cakewalk's recommended specifications for Sonar, but wanted to know what experienced users thought of it before making any purchases.  The machine is a Dell Vostro, with Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 and 4 gigs of RAM, dunning Windows 7 Pro. 64-bit.  More info. here: http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/desktops/vostro-230mt/pd.aspx?refid=vostro-230mt&s=bsd&cs=04&~oid=us~en~4~vostro-230mt-anav2~~.  Cost is roughly $650.  So any opinions?

Also, this is my first post here so be kind.

I would seriously consider buying a custom built computer, as you can put in any thing you want and exclude anything you don,t want. As for the Vostro, it is a business computer so it is not built for running sonar or any DAW. If you are set on buying an offf-the -shelf computer the only Dell that is really good is the Studio XPS, I wouldn't get a Vostro or a Inspiron even if you paid me. So the moral of the story is; You get what you pay for... 
    Dogfish
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/08/31 23:25:59 (permalink)

As for the Vostro, it is a business computer so it is not built for running sonar or any DAW. If you are set on buying an offf-the -shelf computer the only Dell that is really good is the Studio XPS, I wouldn't get a Vostro or a Inspiron even if you paid me. So the moral of the story is; You get what you pay for... 

Agreed Stuart.  I got enough negative feedback here and from my computer literate friends on the Vostro to rule it out.  The ideal situation would be to buy a custom built computer from Jim, see his link above.  Almost everyone here has high praise for his work, but I really can't swing the cost right now.  But I need to do something in the short term (year or so) so I can start learning how to use 8.5.  The XL and Pro 8 I used years ago didn't prepare me for all the new features.  I'm considering starting with an AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz based kit from Newegg.  It's failry inexpensive and much better than anything I've got now and the upgrading next summer to an Intel i7 based system.  I know I'll have to change MBs and all, but at least it'll get me going right now. 

My other option would be not to do anything now and wait until next summer and then spend the money on one of Jim's custom built PCs.  While I know that's a smart move, I want to work on stuff now.  I just don't know what to do.

In any event, I'll continue to update this thread as I learn more.  Any and all comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.  I know enough to know that I really don't know what I need.  So many of you have already been through this and can offer some great advice. 

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/09/01 09:39:19 (permalink)
    I'm trying to build a box at this very moment.... to say it has been frustrating would be an understatement.... it is however, an exercise in patience. ...... mostly in dealing with the vendor of the parts and screwed up orders, then having OS installation issues where the OS is not installing right... to their credit, they are working with me on this.

I have, to my credit, installed, upgraded, and reinstalled more OS's in the past than I care to think about. So I felt OK about tackling this build. This build is not going well at the moment. The vendor is working with me and replacing the first OS with a new copy to see if that is the problem.

I have been thinking that an off the shelf system with XP installed would have been the better option at this moment. On the other hand...... I have been encouraged by a number of other folks here that have built boxes that they also endured similar problems, worked through them and have amazingly fast and stable DAW's as a result. Just a basic DAW... OS installed clean, no net and no crapware.

So I'm looking forward to a finished DAW shortly. Total invested is under $800 using my existing monitor and keyboard and a spare mouse. Machines with similar specs are selling for approx twice that.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/09/01 09:41:47

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Dogfish
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/09/01 10:16:30 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker,

Do you mind in providing spec details on your DAW?  I'm really interested in what others here are doing.  I'm thinking of reusing my case, power supply, and CD & DVD ROM drives.  I may also keep my current video card if the new MB I end up getting doesn't have on board video that supports two monitors.  Ever since I started using 2 monitors I've been hooked.  I think it'll be particularly helpful with Sonar.

BTW--Listened to one of your songs this morning (found link in thread about normalizing v. gain, very nice work).

tarsier
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/09/01 12:25:14 (permalink)
    I'm trying to build a box at this very moment.... to say it has been frustrating would be an understatement.... it is however, an exercise in patience

Totally know what you're saying.  I put together my own systems for a long time. And then I realized how much time I was spending on the research, the ordering, the assembling, the testing... and the frustration. I decided my time (and mental health) was better spent on other things, and so have now become the advocate of purpose built DAWs.

I also advocate building at least one computer just to get an idea of what goes on in there. But still, buying purpose built is so much more productive for my situation.

It seems that most DIY DAWs tend towards the higher end. So finding a good parts list for a low budget DAW might be difficult--anyone got any? I've found a list of home theater PC parts for any budget: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=18816470#post18816470 And while they do care about quiet computers, they tend to focus on video playback rather than audio performance. I'm not certain how they will translate to DAW use and you should completely ignore their soundcard advice. Still, might be a good read.
    sandman5000
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/09/01 13:33:58 (permalink)
    tarsier

And then I realized how much time I was spending on the research, the ordering, the assembling, the testing... and the frustration.

Thats whats great about simply following a 'recipe' like the one from Noel I listed above.  The guy in in charge of coding Sonar and Cakewalk.  Simply order those parts,  snap them together,  install your os,  drivers and programs,  and voila! Great DAW for a few hundred bucks. 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/09/01 15:36:43 (permalink)
    new build:

Asus P7P55D MB

i5 chip 750 2.66 ghz

4 gb  RAM

Ult-LSP750 power  750 w supply

case, fans, DVD light scribe, XP OS.

GEForce 210 video card.

installing the new OS now..... formatting the  drive as we speak....I still have 7 days to get operational or return the parts for a refund....actually longer because they screwed up the order and delayed the build by 2 weeks.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/09/01 15:38:17

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Dogfish
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/09/01 16:04:23 (permalink)

That's a big power supply.  This may seem like a dumb question, but do you need that many watts for a dedicated DAW?

Dogfish
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/09/02 01:00:28 (permalink)
    Okay so maybe this is not the smartest move on my part, but I've already ordered a Delta 44 audio interface.  My plan is to install it on my current desktop PC (a P4 running windows XP pro and Sonar XL) and learn how to use it while I'm building my new DAW.  Yes, I know this is not the smartest plan and there are better interfaces available, but I found a great deal.  Besides, the Delta seems perfect for my mixer a 24 x 4 x 2 (really a 16 x 4 x 2).  I can configure the DAW as a four track mono recorder (or as two stereo tracks) all the while using the main output to monitor the already recorded tracks with the currently recorded instrument though my 2 channel mains.  This should help to avoid any latency issues.  The aux sends and built in effects will allow me to add effects to the monitor mix without affecting the recording or otherwise wasting cpu resources on real time effects.

aldonovasv
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/09/04 22:06:42 (permalink)
    New to this.  But I amlooking to upgrade to Producer 8.5 also.  I currently have a dedicated DAW, but it's only a Dual core  but with 8GB ram.  I currently use Sonar 7 Home XL, and the DAW woorks great with that, the CPU rarley gets past 20% with 12 tracks.

I would really liek to use the new drum "stuff" and use about 8-10 tracks just for the drums.  I can see where I would go up to 24 tracks easy.

My question is has nayone used Producer 8.5 on a dual core with good results?
    Dogfish
    Re:Seeking New Computer Advice 2010/10/18 20:16:50 (permalink)
    Okay, so I'm getting closer to actually ordering the parts and getting something going.  I'm heavily leaning toward an AMD Phenom II X6 core cpu.  According to the information I've seen, the lowest end six core is still faster than the similarly priced i5 750. 

Is there any issue that you guys know of that would make a six core cpu a bad choice for the current edition of sonar.

Once again any and all advice/opinions are appreciated.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1