SI Drum Help

Author
walsten11@verizon.net
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2010/08/27 00:08:17 (permalink)

SI Drum Help

My first post...I can play a drum routine then drag that routine from the drum kit onto the track. All good until I try hit play...nothing. The bar moves across and seems to read the track but no a sound?!? Anyone have an idea?

David

MC5, Gateway Vision AMD 64, Windows 7, Dolby

5 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:SI Drum Help 2010/08/29 22:03:46 (permalink)
    you have setup both your soundcard and midi ?

you are loading up your DAW and then picking the VST version right? and NOT the standalone one from windows start menu?

so you pick an SI drum.. and drag / drop it into sonar? and your putting it on the correct lane / channel? it should have "drums" as the output.

when you drag / drop you should get a clip.. if you click on that clip ..you'll see notation.

and when you hit play.. you'll see the pointer / line move across ?

you can either trigger the start / stop of pads or drag/drop OR play single hits.

if your soundcard/midi isn't setup and you can't trigger even a pattern within you DAW then you need to fix that first.

maybe Robin might be of help also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UquKaN5Ruio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usBAyLUW01g

walsten11@verizon.net
    Re:SI Drum Help 2010/08/29 23:11:34 (permalink)
    Fog

you have setup both your soundcard and midi ?
    Correct, I went through the DAW setup procedure.

you are loading up your DAW and then picking the VST version right? and NOT the standalone one from windows start menu?
    Correct, I am selecting the drums with the program (Music Creator 5). I can open the VST version and play/hear any of the drum routines.

so you pick an SI drum.. and drag / drop it into sonar? and your putting it on the correct lane / channel? it should have "drums" as the output.
    Correct, I have a channel setup for drums, open the VST SI DRUM KIT, select/drag/drop into the drum channel

when you drag / drop you should get a clip.. if you click on that clip ..you'll see notation.
    Correct, I see the clip and double click which opens the notation.

and when you hit play.. you'll see the pointer / line move across ?
    Correct, I see the line move across

you can either trigger the start / stop of pads or drag/drop OR play single hits.
    Correct, as noted above, I can "hit" each drum/play any loop/and hear them

if your soundcard/midi isn't setup and you can't trigger even a pattern within you DAW then you need to fix that first.
    I ran the setup and can hear everything within Music Creator 5 except of course when I drag and drop one of the SI DRUM KIT loops.

maybe Robin might be of help also
    I've watched these videos already and did not see anything that is helping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UquKaN5Ruio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usBAyLUW01g

I have been thinking of either purchasing the Studio Instruments or Sonar Home Studio or Sonar Home Studio XL. I am not sure of the difference between my Music Creator 5 + Studio Instruments or if I go with Sonar Home Studio XL.

Thank you for responding to my post. I am new to all of this and trying to learn and grow.

David

Fog
    Re:SI Drum Help 2010/08/30 00:33:42 (permalink)
    not sure about MC5, have you tried posting in that forum also?

ok.. the other thing , well check it's a midi lane your dropping to... also there should be an Input / output bit on the track pane...

you see as the midi input .. omni... and output as "si drumkit" ?

and audio part .. showing si drum kit.. can you play and enable draw wave form for that channel?

and the channel or audio channel isn't muted.. it's odd.. it should just trigger it.. all the patterns are just standard midi..

you have synth rack in MC 5? if you press "O" and not zero.. does it bring up options? like how it's outputting .. maybe you have unticked the audio out.. or something along them lines..

I would contact support and ask them .. I mean I'm just running you thru stuff that "might be" not 100% right.

yer we all at to learn at some point (and still do) , no worries..

maybe take a screenshot of MC5 and post it.. alt + prnt screen.. with the track pane expanded.. might have some pointers.

walsten11@verizon.net
    Re:SI Drum Help 2010/08/31 00:28:51 (permalink)
    Fog

not sure about MC5, have you tried posting in that forum also?

ok.. the other thing , well check it's a midi lane your dropping to... also there should be an Input / output bit on the track pane...

you see as the midi input .. omni... and output as "si drumkit" ?

and audio part .. showing si drum kit.. can you play and enable draw wave form for that channel?

and the channel or audio channel isn't muted.. it's odd.. it should just trigger it.. all the patterns are just standard midi..

you have synth rack in MC 5? if you press "O" and not zero.. does it bring up options? like how it's outputting .. maybe you have unticked the audio out.. or something along them lines..

I would contact support and ask them .. I mean I'm just running you thru stuff that "might be" not 100% right.

yer we all at to learn at some point (and still do) , no worries..

maybe take a screenshot of MC5 and post it.. alt + prnt screen.. with the track pane expanded.. might have some pointers.

After reading your suggestions I went to the Console View and tried a few things. One being selecting the FX "button" which turned green (see screen shot). I then played the file and IT WORKED!! So cool!! Thank you for your help and suggestions.

If you don't mind my asking...I am thinking of either buying the Studio Instruments pack for my MC5 or Sonar Home Studio or Sonar Home Studio XL. Any suggestions?
    I might buy the Home Studio then a few weeks later buy Studio Instruments. Price would be the same either way but would spread out the amount of spending.

Thank you for your time and help!!!!!

Attached Image(s)

David

Fog
    Re:SI Drum Help 2010/08/31 00:44:52 (permalink)
    you confused me.. (with age thats easier to do.hehe) you already have Studio Instruments drums, just not the other 3 modules.. doh..

I would check that SI doesn't come with what your going to buy though.. errm also speak to the folk in the home studio forum about the difference between the norm + xl

have you looked at sonar's comparison chart ?
    http://www.cakewalk.com/p...english/comparison.asp

if your in the states, ring up customer service.. and they'll help you.. but ask before you buy to make sure your not doubling up and SI isn't included.

I can't be lots of help as I use sonar 8.5PE and wouldn't like to give you wrong advice.

see how you get on in the meantime with MC5.. I'm sure there is a lot to learn, but it'll be easier when you upgrade. glad you sussed it though

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1