New DAW partition ?

Author
Iceman
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27
2010/08/27 18:28:27 (permalink)

New DAW partition ?

I have a 500gb HD with XP installed.  Should I load my programs and partition later?  I am running P8, Waves Mercury, BFD, Kontak and and few other sample progs, but nothing gigantic.

How many partitions?  Data, audio, samples, etc?

This is a free standing machine, no internet.

Thank you,
Iceman

3 Replies Related Threads

LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re:New DAW partition ? 2010/08/28 03:50:25 (permalink)
    I believe the ideal situation would be separate drives
    Drive 1 - OS/Programs
    Drive 2 - Audio
    Drive 3 - Samples (If you are using large sampling libraries.)

I used one drive for everything for quite a while with no problems, of course at the time I was only recording audio and not using large sample libraries. 

As far as partitions instead of separate drives, my knowledge is only based on what I've read inn forums and it seems like the consensus was there is not alot to be gained performance wise.  Of course on the bright side, if you have to reformat for some reason it might make things a little easier if you your OS/Programs were by themselves in a partition.

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    jm24
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2127
    Re:New DAW partition ? 2010/08/28 11:02:31 (permalink)
    If only one disk, do not partition. Each partition has its own file allocation tables. This means more time to access data, write file and index changes,... Do NOT partition.

When you can, get another disk for projects. And maybe, eventually samples. Most samplers load samples to ram on first use.

I have 3 disks: OS, Samples, and Projects.

The first disk is 500 gig with 3 partitions: w7 32 (90 gig), w7 64 (90 gig), 3rd partition is for misc storage.

All 8 computers in the house, including the music computer, are connected to the router, and the internet. 4 have AV software, 4 do not. I have had 3 virus infections in 20 years. None on the computers without AV.

I update windows on ALL computers at least weekly. And occasionally scan with spybot, and with the kaspersky av removal tool.

And so on.

J
    Iceman
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re:New DAW partition ? 2010/08/29 23:57:58 (permalink)
    Thank you for your input.  I appreciate your knowledge in this matter.  I meant that I have P6, not P8. 

I realize that it would be best to have separate drives, but this is a cheapo machine to tide me over until light peak comes out, and when I can afford to upgrade to Windows 7 compatible software.

Thanks again
    Iceman
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1