Keyboard Drums

Author
superdan54
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 526
2010/08/31 16:50:25 (permalink)

Keyboard Drums

Hi,

I'm just wondering what others out there do if they don't have a kit or equipment to record one. I've got several great sounding kit plugins (Steven Slate, Ocean Way) and a ton of patterns & fills all organized in my EZ Player Pro.

All that said, I'm finding that laying down a drum track is a tedious and horribly slow process and is killing the creative juices. Finding a loop that matches the vibe takes a while, and then it often sounds robotic, even if I do add some embellishments. I can play drums, but my finger drumming often comes across somewhat dull and lifeless, and is itself somewhat tedious. I think if I had a general idea of how others approach the task, I'd be able to focus more, whether it be practicing finger drumming more or what have you. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

13 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Keyboard Drums 2010/08/31 17:37:21 (permalink)
    I use Band in a Box for that.  I let BIAB generate the MIDI for the drums, then I export the MIDI file, import it into sonar, then use Superior Drummer for the output.

I'll also usually tweak some of the hits as well to keep it from sounding "too robotic" but often it comes up with a pretty good drummer on its own.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Keyboard Drums 2010/08/31 20:01:06 (permalink)
    superdan54 - I know exactly where you are at.  I'm guessing you can come up with your own original beats and don't need pre-fab loops.  That's where I'm at too.  I do all my own stuff.  I use a Korg PadKontrol and it is very dynamic and expressive.  I've given up on trying to play an entire drum part at the same time on it though.  If you are a drummer you may be able to pull this off.  With me, I have broken it down to basically two steps: 1)  Kick/Snare and tom fills, and 2) cymbals. I've got two scenes set up on the padkontrol.  when I'm doing drums, I've got 16 pads pointing to various snares, toms, two pads for left and right snare and two for left and right kick, snare rim shots, shallow hits, etc.  The other scene is 16 different cymbals.

This is how approach all my projects.  Check out some of my songs if you want an example.
    savageopera
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    Re:Keyboard Drums 2010/08/31 20:05:52 (permalink)
    Mr. superdan, some like to use the "drummer in a can" software but I have always composed and played my drum tracks on keys.  Check out my percussion tracks on my soundclick tunes "Love Monster", "American Dream" and "World without love".  All are played on an M-audio 88es using the MC4 TTS1 standard kit.  I begin with a basic kick/snare track quantized to 16th notes and after a rough track wiil split the kick and snare to different tracks, edit, cut and paste.  Then adding hat, toms, crashes and rides all on seperate tracks until I get what I want. I usually compose the other instrument tracks as I go so I can enter special hits, rolls etc. as the song matures. Before export to audio I will adjust drum velocities in the event list area for more realism.  It seems like a long process but will become increasingly easier as you learn.  The big payoff is that you end up with a totally unique drum track which fits your song EXACTLY the way YOU want, no robot filling in for your own creative ideas..........I'll be glad to give you more tips if you want..........Ron
    post edited by savageopera - 2010/08/31 20:37:12

Sonar Artist, HP Laptop, AMD A8700 , 1T+250g, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra ,Roland 88 Hammer action, Roland AX-1, M-audio 88es, Arturia minilabII......When I was young I wanted to become a mad scientist. I achieved everything except the "scientist" part....http://www.soundclick.com/savageopera
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Keyboard Drums 2010/08/31 21:18:03 (permalink)
    SD 54.... I'm with Beagle... I use either Band in a Box or Jamstix to lay down the drums for me.

If you have to use the keyboard... remember that you have multi track capability...AND.. you have quantize.

Quantize to a 16th note resolution but don't make it 100% dead on the beat.... let it have a little leeway for a slightly human feel.

Remember that mother is the necessity of invention.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    superdan54
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 526
    Re:Keyboard Drums 2010/09/01 01:16:52 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for your input!

I think one thing that would help if I was able to split up the different MIDI parts like savageopera suggested. Is there any CAL script or something else that will automatically separate these into different tracks/layers? You mentioned cut & paste...do you mean you just select all bass drum notes and then cut/paste them on a new track?

I really like the work that you all have done. Guitartrek, your drums sound incredibly lifelike...I think I might check out the Nanopad as drumming on keys just leaves something lacking!
    kev11111111111111
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1772
    Re:Keyboard Drums 2010/09/01 02:57:22 (permalink)
    superdan54

Hi,

I'm just wondering what others out there do if they don't have a kit or equipment to record one. I've got several great sounding kit plugins (Steven Slate, Ocean Way) and a ton of patterns & fills all organized in my EZ Player Pro.

All that said, I'm finding that laying down a drum track is a tedious and horribly slow process and is killing the creative juices. Finding a loop that matches the vibe takes a while, and then it often sounds robotic, even if I do add some embellishments. I can play drums, but my finger drumming often comes across somewhat dull and lifeless, and is itself somewhat tedious. I think if I had a general idea of how others approach the task, I'd be able to focus more, whether it be practising finger drumming more or what have you. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

hey
     yep finger drums can sound pretty bad !! What I tend to do is start with a REX loop and then edit it in piano roll.The best tip I can think of with using loops is that its more what you take out then what you add.Find a suitable groove and then delete (or better mute)notes or move them around the grid until the loop gels with the bass / rhtym section.Altering the velocity of the snare is cool too,or even replacing / layering the snare with another sample. When I'm using fills sometimes I automate the volume of the drums so they are louder ...depending on how good the fill is - the extra gain will give the drums their own space everynow and again.This works best when they are not competing with other elements in the mix....be careful to of the width and panning of the drums too.Eg is there a fill involving lows toms you'll want these in a place where they are not competing with other low sounds in the mix.
    I've been doing a lot of drum programming last couple of weeks,and I can say that the more you do it the better you will get for sure.Keep pracitising and you'll get it.Me final advise is keep it simple !!!!! - drums parts don't have to be mega complicated to sound good.
    Good luck !
    Kev

guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Keyboard Drums 2010/09/01 06:53:48 (permalink)
    superdan54

Thanks guys for your input!

I think one thing that would help if I was able to split up the different MIDI parts like savageopera suggested. Is there any CAL script or something else that will automatically separate these into different tracks/layers? You mentioned cut & paste...do you mean you just select all bass drum notes and then cut/paste them on a new track?

I really like the work that you all have done. Guitartrek, your drums sound incredibly lifelike...I think I might check out the Nanopad as drumming on keys just leaves something lacking!

superdan54 - I wanted to let you know that I don't break out different drum pieces into separate tracks.  I used to try to do this but I stopped doing it.  For me, a natural sounding drum track takes a while to do - listening and revising small things over a long period of time.  If I inserted an "oragnize midi events" step into the process, then my revisions would be more difficult because I would have to worry about organizing events each time I touch the drums.  Sonar's PRV has a lot of great tools to be able to deal with all notes in one track.  That's just me though, everyone has their own way.  I just like to work as effeciently as possible with minimal distractions.  There is a CAL program to split out drum notes.  But since I use a ton of different drum pieces, I could end up with 25 or 30 drum midi tracks.  That's just too much for me to deal with.
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re:Keyboard Drums 2010/09/01 08:09:11 (permalink)
    I record a very basic drum pattern either with my mouse or MIDI controller.  Nothing complex, just something to keep the vibe while I'm working on the rest of the instrumentation.  This can be done quickly, so you lose your creativity.
    Then, when it's flushed out enough, spend time programming the drums.  My drum programming ends up pretty well done, not at all mechanical.  And I didn't lose the creative bug by getting distracted by building that track early.
    Nothing worthwhile is quick, especially in the arts.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Keyboard Drums 2010/09/01 08:45:15 (permalink)
    SD 54.... if you check out Jamstix  www.rayzoon.com  at one time they had a free, fully functional. but feature limited demo on the site that you could download and play with.

I have found JS to be a Godsend for me. I select the tempo, a drummer with a style and a kit to start with, let it play free style and play along with it. I use it as my timing metronome. If the result is what I want, I then edit it after I am finished tracking the other instruments.

The cool thing is JS will create a fairly decent drum track all by itself.

Go to my sound click page and listen to I Know You're Up To It  and  In A World Without You . Both and quite a few others were done with JS creating the track and then I went in a did some basic editing to make the parts change as needed in the verses and choruses.

Many of the jazz numbers are using Band in a box to build the drum parts.... nice results IMHO but a bit more work is involved on my part to get those drum parts like this: Walking In Springtime or Get Happy   both are BB tracks.

Either program lets you build nice drum tracks with relative ease.....and no tapping on a synth keyboard.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/09/01 08:52:10

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Keyboard Drums 2010/09/01 08:49:33 (permalink)
    Dan - as far as separating the different hits, here's what I currently do - since I use Superior Drummer, it has multiple outputs so I route different kit parts to different outputs.

but you can also use drum maps to route different notes to different outputs regardless of the softsynth you use as output (even TTS-1 has 4 outputs available!).

see my MUSIC TOWN link for a tutorial on DRUM MAPS that will allow you to separate the different parts of the kit to different outputs or even to different softsynths!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    Re:Keyboard Drums 2010/09/01 12:30:22 (permalink)
    I just wish this guy would give lessons on keyboard drumming: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqM7bN3Kc7I

(FTR I'm a proud owner/user of a Prodikeys keyboard)

guitardog247
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1226
    Re:Keyboard Drums 2010/09/01 13:26:58 (permalink)
    As of lately, I eschew "fake" drum tracks made to sound like real drums/drummers. This is mostly because of time constraints, and I'm lazy. I only "program" or "write" drums when I'm working on some crazy techo/electronic stuff, that's obviously not supposed to sound like a real drummer.
    But if I'm writing a rock/pop/folk type of song, I just track guitars and vox. Because I won't be happy until I can play my own drum tracks on a real drum kit.

But lots of great ideas on this thread from others. I like the one of using BIAB, then using the MIDI to trigger Superior Drums.

Sonar, Les Paul Studio, FTU, puter, plugs.........
    Bonzos Ghost
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1112
    Re:Keyboard Drums 2010/09/03 15:38:29 (permalink)
    "Finger drumming" on a keyboard can sound completely authentic....but there's a few important things required to pull it off easily and not waste time.

Obviously, the more time spent, the better you get. That's a given when learning any technique. And ya, you need good natural timing, because quantizing the whole thing is not the answer if you want it to sound natural.

1) You hopefully have had experience playing drums so you understand the mechanics of drumming in general, approach your hits the way a real drummer would and know some good fill & hi-hat techniques.

2) You are hopefully a decent keyboard player and possess enough dexterity and co-ordination in all fingers to play your "kit" smoothly. 

3) Set up a custom keymap that suits you to optimize playability. Don't just try and use the standard GM setup.

4) Have a lot of different keys (black keys) triggering different hi-hat samples. You need a lot to make it sound real. Once you have the optimum mapping setup, it's easy to pull off.

5) Same idea for snares and cymbals, but you don't need as many different keys assigned - just good sample sets with lots of variations.

Using something like BFD or Superior, it's all very possible, but it's not for everyone.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1