Mix/Mater Inside or Out

Author
EasTexGuy
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 160
2010/09/03 08:27:43 (permalink)

Mix/Mater Inside or Out

<<sheesh>> MASTER not "Mater" ... Lordy, all you countryfied will tell me I need salt! @_@

"IF" you are a home recording hobbyist &&
"IF" your music is to be shared not sold &&
"IF" you have no spendable funds for 'pro mastering' &&
"IF" I were to use Ozone to 'master' a piece...

Would it be practical to use ozone on the Master bus of the project vs exporting a wave file that I'll just reload for the same purpose? I understand the exporting for a send off to be mastered. I got that. However, for someone like myself it seems more efficient to do it all inside the project. I just see work flow being smoother. Record, add fx, mix and get all the automations so-so, turn on ozone and master. The benefit for me, I think, is being able to tweek the mix if I can't get say the vocal bedded nicely. Using the faders in real time seems better than remix-export-import rinse&&repeat. I know in the real world I'm making a complex process sound real simple... but in my world I am the quazimodo of KISS.

Recording at 24/44 or 24/48 seems to provide a good range for a 16/44 reduction. With my limited experience I am uncertain about all the theories surrounding the various techniques used for mastering, but my thought here, to me, seems practical. What if anything will I be missing out on?  I probably watch entirely too many "how-to" videos on youtube... ;-p

Your thoughts, as always, are much appreciated!

post edited by EasTexGuy - 2010/09/03 12:04:44

My Rig: Sonar X1 Studio - Vista 32 on AMD Quad Core @ 3ghz w/4 gig ram - Lexicon Lambda - Assorted Nuts, Bolts & Plugins - More Talent on order as well.

4 Replies Related Threads

marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:Mix/Mater Inside or Out 2010/09/03 09:47:07 (permalink)
    Ozone is intended to be used just that way on the master bus. 

You will still be limited to whatever degree by your experience level and listening environment.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    EasTexGuy
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 160
    Re:Mix/Mater Inside or Out 2010/09/03 10:04:39 (permalink)
    Thanks mate! That is what I gathered from all the reading of how folk used ozone. It just seemed practical. Yep, I got that part about exp & enviro down real pat. Hopefully, in time, both those areas will improve steadily and I'll be able to use the tools to the result they were all designed for... great music! ;-)

My Rig: Sonar X1 Studio - Vista 32 on AMD Quad Core @ 3ghz w/4 gig ram - Lexicon Lambda - Assorted Nuts, Bolts & Plugins - More Talent on order as well.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Mix/Mater Inside or Out 2010/09/03 12:51:11 (permalink)
    you can edit the title to fix the spelling  btw.....     

and yeah in the master buss is fine... the limiting factor would be the processor power to handle the project in real time if you have a bunch of other FX and or synths running in it.

As long as it's not dropping the audio, and clicking and popping you're golden..... actually, when you get ready to export.. it doesn't matter if the project can run smoothly in real time, because the export will take ALL the time needed to process the data for a good export.... the problem is in getting a smooth playback that you can stand to work on if the processor is overloaded.  

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    guitardog247
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1226
    Re:Mix/Mater Inside or Out 2010/09/03 13:26:27 (permalink)
    Yes, that's the way I do it. Throw mastering plugs in master bus and be done with it. Boost 11, multiband compression, etc..
    That is more than adequate for a "home recording enthusiast".

Sonar, Les Paul Studio, FTU, puter, plugs.........
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1