Yamaha P120 piano and Sonar 8.5

Author
drewmusician
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2010/09/06 08:36:31 (permalink)

Yamaha P120 piano and Sonar 8.5

Hi. I have my P120 connected via MIDI to my M-Audio fast track pro and into Sonar 8.5. Sonar is receiving and recording MIDI signals fine when I play (albeit with a slight delay, even with the latency set to its lowest value). The MIDI on the Sonar channel is set to "Omni". 

However, I have a bunch of stuff that I've played on the piano and recorded into its internal memory. I want to dump these to Sonar as MIDI files to work on them. Sadly when I play the recorded files the fast Track pro shows a MIDI signal is being received from the piano, but it doesn't show up in Sonar. Is anyone able to advise me please?

Drew
www.Maplejacks.com 

4 Replies Related Threads

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    Re:Yamaha P120 piano and Sonar 8.5 2010/09/06 08:38:38 (permalink)
    Have you created a MIDI track, set its input source port to the port the P120 is sending to on the M-Audio Fast Track Pro, and armed the track for record?
    drewmusician
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:Yamaha P120 piano and Sonar 8.5 2010/09/12 08:35:55 (permalink)
    Hi Bob,

Thanks for your reply, but there is no problem recording the piano when I play it. The problem is only when I play the songs from the piano's internal sequencer to try to record them into Sonar, which seems odd that it would do one but not the other with the same settings.

Best wishes,
    Drew
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    Re:Yamaha P120 piano and Sonar 8.5 2010/09/12 23:01:48 (permalink)
    Hmm...I think a look at the sequencer capability in the keyboard is in order.  Perhaps it is sending some sync signal to the MIDI out but not the internal sequencer's note data.  There has got to be a way.

Does the keyboard allow you to save your sequences to a disk or flash drive in a standard MIDI file (SMF)?  If so you could import the MIDI data file into SONAR instead of recording.
    sandyeric
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re:Yamaha P120 piano and Sonar 8.5 2010/09/16 00:44:09 (permalink)
    Drewmusician:
    For what it's worth, I have been using the Yamaha PSR 630 Synth/Keybaord for over 15 years ( I actually have two right now) and i can attect to the same problem as you're having. I was told some time back that Yamaha has a particular format that they use to record to disk and it won't get de-scrambled by just any midi program. I guess you could say they have coding to prevent you from doing that. There is a box they make..(I'm going to get it out of the closet and give you the model # etc..)
    Aha I have it!! It is the Yamaha Disk Recorder DRC-20 and I believe that you can Play your Piano files on it to manipulate them and also send it out in a midi format that your program will read.
    I have never tried it yet but this thread has given me the encouragement to do just that.
    I will try it in the next day or so and get back to you with the results.
    I'm quite positive that this was planned on Yamaha's part to prevent too easy an access to their product output so you would have to go to them for a solution.     Remember, we are talking 15 years ago or more! I have had the PSR630 for at least 15 years and it was old then. 
    I'll get back to you regarding my luck at getting some of my piano floppies to play thru the DRC-20 to Sonar 8.5.3 (thru a Presonus Firestudio 26x26)  

Sandy

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1