Quick Monitor Question

Author
benstat
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 972
2010/09/09 09:05:37 (permalink)

Quick Monitor Question

Hi,
I'm in the process of selecting a new USB audio interface. I want to buy one which will allow me to connect some monitors, but I don't own any monitors yet (never have), and may not buy any for some time. My question:
When connecting monitors to an audio interface, is it preferable to let the monitors do the amplification? If so, presumably you would use a digital connection (ie. SPDIF) from the audio interface to the monitors? If that's not usually the case, how do most people connect their AI to their monitors?
If it's relevant, I am only ever likely to buy some small budget monitors, such as the Cakewalk MA-7A's.
Many thanks!
benstat
Edit: I guess I'm asking - what audio outputs do I need to allow me to connect some monitors in future?
post edited by benstat - 2010/09/09 09:16:20

2 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Quick Monitor Question 2010/09/09 10:42:22 (permalink)
    I suppose you are currently using your computer speakers?  You can get adaptors for them, but upgrading to something better is a priority to make music.

Now, to your question.  Most interfaces have line level outputs which can feed any line level input.  These exist on interfaces, so you can route audio in, but also on speaker amplifiers.  So a simple stereo i/o interface will have 2 outputs that usually are arranged as stereo so you can just plug them into an amplifier.  Some speakers (like your computer speakers) have the amp built into them.  Others, like a typical home "stereo or reciever (with a built-in radio reciever) are separate components - amp and speakers. 

Most interfaces have 1/4 inch connections.  Many consumer amps have RCA inputs.  Again adaptors or correctly terminated cables will work.  Not the place here to go into balanced and unbalanced signals, but for typically short home runs it shouldn't matter.  Your speakers can connect to the amp in an equally confusing number of ways - 1/4 inch, RCA, bare wire, or 1/8 inch.

More confusing, some speakers are going digital w/ digital ins - Spdif being the norm.  You need digital cables w/ these, not analog RCA.

Once you decide on an interface you'll simply need to buy the right cables to go to the speaker/amp system you buy.  Don't know about the Cakewalk, but you'll need the right cables.  Never forget to budget for cables - costs can eat you alive.  On-line retailers have the best price on them - guitar center, best buy etc. make an ungodly amount of money on cables.  If you have the time, buy them online.  If you are buying at a brick store, try to get the right cables thrown in for free.  They are cheap but the retailers like to make the money, so it pay to beat them up about it.

Pick your interface, find out what your amp or speakers need (the MA-7As are self-powered, I think) and buy the right cables.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    benstat
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 972
    Re:Quick Monitor Question 2010/09/09 11:43:56 (permalink)
    Thanks a lot AT, that's very useful indeed. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for the UA-1G then, which has both analog and digital outputs. The Cakewalk MA-7A's are indeed self powered, and will take analog; the more expensive Cakewalk MA-15D's can take both analog & digital. If it's really just a matter of cables then the UA-1G seems to have any future monitor purchase covered.
    Thanks again!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1