Soft Synth Time Shift

Author
BretB
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 508
2010/09/09 16:35:00 (permalink)

Soft Synth Time Shift

I will try to describe my findings and see if you can explain.  I have a project that I imported a MIDI file into.  It created multiple MIDI tracks and assigned generic patches to each track.  That is fine and it plays fine.  The patches are horible and I would like to replace each with Dimension Pro instruments.  I have been able to do this successfuly.  My problem is in that the new instument now doesn't line up with the other tracks in musical time.  I have tried this using 2 different methods, one is to copy the midi clip to the new soft synth track and the other is to assign the output of the original track to Dimension Pro.  Both have the same result on timing.  Any help?  Thanks in advance.

Sonar Platinum - A&H ZED R16 - KRK VXT4's - Yamaha DTXpress IV & Gretsch Catalina Maple kits

"Music is what feelings sound like"
https://soundcloud.com/bret575b

4 Replies Related Threads

brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Soft Synth Time Shift 2010/09/13 00:47:39 (permalink)
    It created multiple MIDI tracks and assigned generic patches to each track. 

I'm guessing the original output was to the GS Wavetable synth in your onboard soundcard. Soundcard synths generally have atrocious latency, which means the wavetable sounds will be late compared what comes out of Dim Pro. You need to get them all reassigned to Dim Pro (or other soft synths), and they should sync up fine.

BretB
    Re:Soft Synth Time Shift 2010/09/13 09:23:37 (permalink)
    I hadn't assigned all instuments to the same soft synth.  You are right about the GS Wavetable.  You are also right about the huge latency difference.  I didn't know if there might be some setting to make up for this offset.  I manualy lined the tracks just based on listening.

Sonar Platinum - A&H ZED R16 - KRK VXT4's - Yamaha DTXpress IV & Gretsch Catalina Maple kits

brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Soft Synth Time Shift 2010/09/13 14:40:03 (permalink)
    If you really wanted to continue using the GS Wavetable sounds alongside soft synths, you could set the output of all soft synths to go through an intermediate bus with a 100% wet delay on it. You just need to figure out what that delay value is, and it should be consistent. The easiest way to do that would be to set up a couple of MIDI tracks driving drum sounds with a fast attack and decay (e.g. sidestick), loop it, and adjust the delay until they sound right on top of each other. There are more technical ways to precisely dial this in, but this should get the job done.

BretB
    Re:Soft Synth Time Shift 2010/09/13 15:47:12 (permalink)
    I really don't want to use any GS Wavetable sounds.  It was just something I noted in the process of changing instruments and wondered if there might be something else going on.  These will become scratch tracks for a project.  None of this MIDI file will be used in the final product.  I don't think.  Thanks for your help on this.  What a great forum.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1