how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering?

Author
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
2010/09/10 17:20:08 (permalink)

how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering?

anyone wanna share your ideas, of exactly what frequencies are involved, and rolled off/boosted to attain a smoother, old school 'vinyl' sound on your final mixes or masters?

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

28 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/10 20:22:15 (permalink)
    I use something simular in mastering, when it calls for it. But its not software, its hardware (analog comp and EQ) But yea!! tape saturation is used in the masterign process allot.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    mattplaysguitar
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1992
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/10 20:55:35 (permalink)
    Did you see this thread about a month ago:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2071099

I don't use it at the moment, but might in the future. I'll need to play around with it more to see if it gives me a sound I like. I think I have tried parallel tape saturation before but can't remember the results. Just mixed a heavily saturated copy with the raw, for the same purposes of parallel compression, but was hoping to add something else that compression alone doesn't give. As I said I can't really remember how it sounded, but I do have a memory of maybe pushing it WAY too far till the saturation became distorted and then it sounded distinctly like a distorted and clean track playing in synch. But maybe that was with a distortion effect... Can't remember! Never tried vinyl emulation though.

I use a lot of saturation on drums mainly. I do like the sound that I get from the jb ferox plug. Free download from here http://www.jeroenbreebaart.com/. It's in the bundle.

Currently recording my first album, so if you like my music, please follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/mattlyonsmusic

www.mattlyonsmusic.com 

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/10 23:31:40 (permalink)
    Certain things benefit more than others, i.e vintage keyboard sounds and strings gain much more 'old fashioned' mid range presence with some saturation, when they sound too thin and clean without it.

Mostly I use Camel Audio's free Camel Crusher set to the preset 'Ultra Phat' on a send to dial in enough 'tube' style saturation from very subtle to crunch exactly where it is needed.  It is absolutely excellent for this job and is very CPU friendly.

http://www.camelaudio.com/camelcrusher.php

As well as that for that nice tape style compression on a drum buss or some such I mostly use Bootsy's Ferric TDS

http://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/downloads/

I find this has all the nice characteristics of tape compression without any of the artifacts such as wow and flutter (why emulate that kind of garbage?), and is clean enough just to leave a bit of colour and oomph on a final mix, although mostly as I say I'll use it across sub-mixed busses, or even route several busses through the same tape buss when needed.

I've been using this duo for quite awhile now and they cover my saturation/tape emu. needs very well without damage to the original signal and you can run everything parallel if you want even more sublety it is a very flexible set-up.

In fact to show how confident of recommending this combination I am, I'll give you a guarantee, try these two babies out and if they don't work for you with 100% satisfaction I'll give you back every penny you paid for them.

post edited by Jonbouy - 2010/09/10 23:49:34

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    guitardog247
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1226
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/11 00:29:50 (permalink)
    +1 for Camel crusher. Not so analogue, IMO, but does saturate and dirty things up, and you get a nice graph to play with.

And mattplaysguitar, YES, saturation on the drums. You hear it sooo much on todays rock music (at least the stuff i like), and the music of old. Of course the old stuff, they really are saturating tape.......

Stuff like Superior Drums, just doesn't sound right, until i plug in distortion on them... Depend on the style of course.....

Sonar, Les Paul Studio, FTU, puter, plugs.........
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/11 12:39:05 (permalink)
    That vinyl sound (as you call it) is elusive ... methinks either tape or tube harmonics

I employ a lot of multi-harmonic saturation on masters using strictly Ozone4 ... but am much of a novice, IMHO:

1) On about 1/3rd of short pop mixes that crave more sparkle and crackling: its tape saturation (digital):
      -- Oft for the lows (0-225Hz) a couple dcbs of generous tape-harmonics if I love the bass or kick stuff and/or it needs more presence.
      -- The mids get less and the highs get least.  But the highs get more stereo spread and m/u gain to compensate.

Note: If I tape-harmonic everything the ears can't take it in the highs.

Bat: you have rich vocs and guitars which probably 'deserve' a dose of harmonic saturation (tape or tube) independently of the master.  Also, IIRC, you like to have your mixes mastered by another artist.

2) 2/3rds of my (often longer) mixes get warm (enhanced tube) saturation.  Everything is roughly opposite (for me):  the lows (0-225Hz) get mild warm saturation (unless the bass really sounds great with even harmonics).

An authentic raspy bass may do well with warm saturation and HPF's.

Note: The paradigm of warm up all the mids:  This recently requires (for me) extreme saturation from 1.6kHz to 5kHz. 

Warning: Its extremely dangerous for me to saturate anything in the congested 600Hz-1.3kHz range where all the fundy's (and their 1st harmonics) compete and destructively saturate each other.  

The 600-1.3kHz honking-saturation here is also better fixed at the 'dist guitar' and 'vox' track levels as well (with EQ reductions at 640Hz and 1.2kHz Q=0.8)

Hope this helps.

EDIT:
    I've always felt your mixes were extremely well mixed and mastered and think maybe we should hear your ideas.
    post edited by Philip - 2010/09/11 12:41:17

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/11 14:48:19 (permalink)
    voxengo tape bus from voxengo analog suite

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/11 16:23:38 (permalink)
    Quote: voxengo tape bus from voxengo analog suite

+1 , I use Voxengo Tape Bus on individual busses, but not the master.

Bob

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/11 22:38:39 (permalink)
    I use Ferox also. It actually works well for me. If you push it nice and hard, and learn how to tweak it, it's pretty nice. It's not a super in your face type of effect. He is a researcher and did some papers and such on the properties of tape, and I assume this plugin reflects that research. He also has some other nice plugs.

I don't have a lot of plugs, but I also do have Tape Bus and it can be quite cool on some things as well. I keep trying to get better at just recording it like I want it to sound, and use less processing in the mix, but it's a slow process of cut and measure, and the cutting takes a long time, and the measuring takes a fair bit as well.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/12 00:05:22 (permalink)
    Analog here.  No substitue for real transformers and other high quality electronic components.

With software it is hard to judge how much is enough.  I've spent time trying to get the goldilock just right amount, which is usually too much or not enough.  Perhaps one gets better at it.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Searchfinger
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/12 03:59:19 (permalink)
    EDIT: I've always felt your mixes were extremely well mixed and mastered and think maybe we should hear your ideas.

my thoughts exactly...
    Jeff Evans
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/12 09:22:12 (permalink)
    I have got a Revox B77 high speed half track stereo machine and have used it in the past to add a certain colour to mixes. But I don't think it is so necessary these days as the digital processing can now definately create very similar effects.

To matt one does not have to smash analog tape hard at all. It is surprising how many people do it. Tape (and levels) can also be setup so that it is running on its very most linear part of its behaviour and can sound very nice in that mode. Opposite to pushing it, using it in a completely clean way. Then you could try your parallel compression idea. One good thing you could do is to have a mix on one track and the analog tape version on another and phase reverse one of them and add them until a null appears. What is left is what the tape is actually doing to the signal. Or the byproducts. I am not sure the parallel compression thing would work so well with digital and analog signal. There may be some things in the tape that might effect the mix too much. (when added to the untreated version)

AT digital can substituite for analog circuits for sure. People who say digital cannot are not fully informed of the latest digital developments. In the July issue of SOS they reviewed the Universal Audio plugin emulation of the Manley Passive EQ. Now it does not get more analog than this. A passive EQ stage comprising inductors, capacitors and resistors followed by a valve makeup gain stage. Probably one of the best EQ's you are ever likely to hear. The reviewer admitted NOT being able to pick the plugin compared to the real hardware. Is this good or what? He said it was unbelievable. So we have arrived in an era where this can be done. I wonder how many analog purists would go in a strict AB test of the Manley Passive vs the plugin. Very poorly I would imagine. Analog gear is no longer affordable and good value for money especially when a very expensive piece of hardware can be replicated for a fraction of the cost. The hardware people know it too and see the writing on the wall. The only way out for them is to make money on plug ins in the long run. OK for the moment the Manley EQ is part of the UA range but it does show we are there. The UA DSP cards will have to go next because they are expensive and will also become unnecesary.

What impresses me is what people are doing in their mixing processes. They are not patching out to analog gear but patching the plugins in the same places we did in years gone by when things were all analog. eg on busses and tracks etc.. Applying the same techniques but without the analog gear being used. You can definately arrive at a very analog sounding mix with an all digital environment. It's about hearing it first and knowing what it is you are striving for and then using the right digital processes in the right places.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/12 10:22:19 (permalink)
    I concur with Jeff on this. I've done some recent experiments using external inserts for the first time with my pair of UA LA610s, and some SCA pre's inserted in the mix bus. I compared this on an acoustic jazz mix I did some months ago using largely UAD plugins. Oddly enough, the differences were fairly minor. I think this is testament to the remarkable job that UA has done on their emulations (as well as a few other plugin creators). The one test where I could hear a slightly more analog presence was using the SCA (seventh circle audio) A12 pre's inserted in the master bus. The bass was more forward, and there was a bit more solid nature to the solo instrument in the center of the mix. Why this happens is somewhat of a mystery. It could be purely the nature of the change in gain structure causing a bit of expansion in the final mix, or it could be the enhanced harmonic content of driving the input and output transformers in the API-clone SCA preamp.

As far as UAD dumping the hardware, I believe they are considering it (based on a survey they sent out a few months back). I think in live-mode the UAD plugs are running mostly native anyway. Since most of their EQ's (and a few other plugins) run internally up-sampled to 192ks/s, I'm not sure some DAWs can quite handle it yet.

I think my next experiment in mixing might be to use only the UAD channel strips on all tracks (this could be done with most any plugin set that delivers true channel strips based on classic consoles). The idea here is that the characteristic nature of the entire console may come through in the mix, if all the eq filter points, and channel compressors behave in the way the actual console does.

For those contemplating external summing, my experience has been mixed. If the clocking to your A/D/A chain (and the degree to which your A/D/A's follow an external clock) isn't stellar, expect to loose some of the stability of your stereo image. My first attempt involved coming out of a rack based D/A through some external gear, and back into my console. The imaging smeared a bit. The stereo image became more vague. A few days later, I recalled some A/D/A listening tests I had heard on the web, and remember noticing more difference in the imaging than in the fidelity. I reconfigured my experiment to use the same A/D/A for both output to the external devices and the inputs back into Sonar. Instant improvement. Imaging was comparable to using no insert at all in the mix bus. As far as the whole thing being an improvement, I think it's a matter of taste.

For those considering going into the UAD plugins and/or preamps, there's a pretty good deal running through the end of September. If you purchase a LA610 mkII preamp/compressor (which can be found on the web for 15% off the Guitar Center price), you apply via the mail to get a free UAD-2 Duo card (about $800 list). To top that off, if you already own a UAD-2 Duo (as in my case), you can then register the new UAD-2 card and get a $300 voucher for additional plugins (which is a different promotion). Pretty sweet deal, if you're in the market.
    post edited by feedback50 - 2010/09/12 13:02:16
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/12 11:26:49 (permalink)
    I'm not good at applying tape sat correctly but in my long search for an authentic analogue plug i've found no better then Antress Modern's "Black Dragon" coloring EQ which is loaded with analogue warmth.
    check this out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LlgUtncaqw

And it's free. 
    post edited by No How - 2010/09/12 17:28:01

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    AT
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/12 12:36:46 (permalink)
    Jeff,

I didn't mean digital couldn't deliever an anlog sound, just that it seemed the long way around for me.  If I come in through a nice analog chain, and mix through it I don't have to worry about "adding" harmonic analog saturation after the fact.  When trying to mix or master w/ saturation software I spent time tweaking it and second guessing myself.  When using analog, I spend time adjusting every parameter but the saturation or harmonics - they are a given.  It is just one less thing to worry about since that variable is built-in.

I read the SOS article and it was very interesting and revealing.  I haven't used the UAD Massive Passive but no doubt it is very good and whether it is the same or not is a moot point.  Besides, I don't have a Massive Passive either.  But I will point out the system is fairly expensive.  The DSP card is $500 and the software more.  Of course, you get more than the Massive Passive, more channels, etc.  You couldn't match it w/ analog dollar for dollar, or Euro or Pound  or Yen.  I'd love to have it.

On the analog side of the arguement, buying good stuff doesn't lose too much value over time.  You take an initial hit, but it then holds it value.  And unlike digital, you can use it going in so you double your use.  I've got a Portico II that I've been playing with and a bass track I recorded using it didn't need any further processing - it simply fit into the track.  Cool.

But my original point was that emulation usually adds another variable.  Which is fun, but doesn't help with the deadline - even if you are just doing stuff for oneself.  Here at home I can spend my time programming a sound, or getting it on the hard drive, or mixing it in a song, or getting the analog emulation right.  Using analog is one less thing. 

@

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jeff Evans
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/12 21:18:32 (permalink)
    Thanks AT and I also want to say that if you or anyone has some serious analog gear in your setups I am not suggesting going out and selling it either. You are better off keeping it and using it for sure. eg I have still got some nice samplers with analog outputs and they have not been modelled yet and it is easier for me just to keep using them.

But if you are considering spending a lot of money right now because you do not have any analog gear at all then maybe reconsider. Dr Hash in another thread says he wants to buy an Avalon at the end of the year. But I am saying he is going to spend a LOT of money to just get two channels of analog processing. I think he has already got the UAD stuff now so it might only be plug-ins he needs to buy. One could consider going down the UAD route with the plug-ins instead. One could probably buy a new computer and the UAD stuff for the same amount of money spent.

And they have not modelled everything analog either. There are some bits of analog gear around that do offer a unique sound and the only way to get that sound is to use the hardware. But I wonder how important that sound really is. Because they have modelled a lot of fantastic analog processors now and it is entirely possible to get a great analog sounding mix with what is already available today in terms of digital plug-ins.

This is one area I am fascinated in. I am someone with a long analog history and yet I find it absolutely amazing that they are creating the same sounds without using the analog hardware at all. So it comes down to thinking analog and doing analog things in your mix session and you will get analog sounding results out. I used to have a lot of analog synths but I am just in love with all the great virtual analog synth plug-ins there are available now and they do sound bloody amazing! They are fat as.

But we did need the analog technology first or we would not have had anything to model our plug-ins on. But you don't have to go out and buy it all now either. But what is good about today's technology is that when I was using all analog technology I did not have a choice as to the finished sound. It was always analog. But now we can choose between an all digital sound at the end or analog or somewhere in between or a mix of both. That is very cool indeed.  Analog is not perfect either and there are many areas where it does not perform as well as digital such as transient response on drums and percussion and noise levels, distortion etc..

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/09/12 22:34:12

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/12 23:31:42 (permalink)
    I'm inclined to agree with Jeff. I am trying to beef up my mic's, my preamps, and my A/D chain because that's the part of analog that has real impact on my digital recordings. The mixing side I have been doing nearly all digital. In my experience it's taken more time to develop my ears to recognize problems in a mix, than to use particular tools to resolve them. In some ways I'm not sure the UAD plugs are necessarily capable of things that many others aren't (although many uad plugs sound very good). I think sometimes it's that their modeling of eq points, controls, and behavior get you more quickly to sounds you've heard on hundreds of recordings.
    AT
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/13 01:03:02 (permalink)
    A lot of truth in what you say, feedback, and I don't think Jeff and I are arguing, but agreeing, but with a different emphasis.  I love digital - it sounds very clean and you can do a ton of easy editing and effects.  It is very cost effective.  And modeling is getting better and better.

But as you say, feedback, there is no substitute for getting a good signal in.  As good as most interface preamps are, a great outboard preamp does make a differerence.  Small prehaps, but there, and a high gain preamp gives you so much flexibilty when recording.  Going from a 55 dB preamp to and 80 dB is an eye opener (or should I say an ear opener).   If you already have good mic(s) and a decent room, that is the next big step.  Converters not so much, in my opinion, since it is easier (cheap) to get good, clean conversion.  If you get a good sound coming in, it is a lot easier to mix going out.

I will say that the Portico channel strip gives a "console" sound going in - much like what you get going out of a good board w/ all its electronics.  It is expensive - but sounds it.  It isn't as flexible as a UAD, but you could run it on every channel one at a time, re-recording the signal.  You can do that easier w/ UAD or other software, but it still won't stamp your signal going into your system.  That is really the best reason to invest in analog.  There are so many choices w/ digital, it is sometimes helpful to have less options.

@

MasterInTheMix
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/13 02:16:47 (permalink)
    Every time I try a new "analog warmth" plug for mastering, it just sounds like going backwards. I get excited at first, being amazed at how they sound so much like the old gear, but I eventually turn them off because the original sounds better to me when I do a blind A/B.

I really like the 24-bit digital sound.

Mastering isn't where I go for "warmth" anyway. Just a blanket processing on everything is kind-of like pouring gravy all over a plate of potatoes, pecan pie, fruit salad, and steak. That's what it sounds like to me if I do too much more than gain-adjust, light EQ, stereo image, compress, and crop in mastering.

I do use inexpensive real tubes and the TL-64 and VC-64 on individual tracks, but that's different, because they all have very different settings that help define and place the instruments rather than blend them. I get enough blend with anything approaching -3 attenuation on the mastering compressor. More than that, and it's "Where have all the transients gone... Long time passing...".

I also (only once after reading a Katz article) dragged an old half-inch 8-track out, and bounced the song back and forth. That just turned out to be "Yes, I know that old familiar sound... it sounds like I'm trying real, real hard but am unable to get the sound that I had at the beginning." 

I'm just not very nostalgic. And even when I'm mixing something that's supposed to sound vintage, if the instruments themselves sound vintage, no one ever asks me to make it sound older and more messed-up. It's exciting to hear those old instruments recorded pristine and noiseless, without the limitations of the past. It always sounds like "This is what they were trying to do back then..." The ones who actually got it to sound good are/were amazing people.

I haven't used every high end tool in the world, but all this mystery-box stuff... this - plug in the $10,000 EQ and note how it changes the imaging or the clarity, or the (anything but its actual job) is a path with endless diversions but no destination. If I want the imaging or clarity or anything else to be different, I'll change them... ON PURPOSE.

Vinyl, tube, and tape emulators in mastering... I guess I'd use them if I was doing a score for a period movie.
    Butch
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 175
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/13 07:14:39 (permalink)
    I like to use a little tape saturation emulation in the mastering phase.  I will slowly turn it up untill I can just barely hear it, and then, back off just a touch.  It's almost a subliminal thing, but when you A/B the before and after, you can hear that slightly warmed up goodness.  I'm a big fan of subtlety.  I usually prefer a hint of something instead of something that slaps you in the face and screams, "listen to me"!  As a result, a lot of my mixes sound almost "dry".  Brendan O'Brien is my favorite producer and I find a lot of his work has a very dry, "up front" sound to it.  That's what I'm shooting for.

Butch
    Let's make some art!
    batsbrew
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/13 10:52:18 (permalink)
    excellent responses folks, thanks.

and it seems, it's all over the map...

which is what i expected, really.

and it's good that it's that way, it gives a much broader pool of ideas and techniques to pull from.
    now, i gotta weed thru them all, over time, to figure out what works for me.
    but i needed a starting place.

philip, searchfinger-
    ok, let me dwell on this for a little bit, and i'll try to come up with a brief synopsis of what i think/do, for what it's worth, just to add into the pool.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/13 11:49:58 (permalink)
    MasterInTheMix

Every time I try a new "analog warmth" plug for mastering, it just sounds like going backwards. I get excited at first, being amazed at how they sound so much like the old gear, but I eventually turn them off because the original sounds better to me when I do a blind A/B.

I really like the 24-bit digital sound.

Mastering isn't where I go for "warmth" anyway. Just a blanket processing on everything is kind-of like pouring gravy all over a plate of potatoes, pecan pie, fruit salad, and steak. That's what it sounds like to me if I do too much more than gain-adjust, light EQ, stereo image, compress, and crop in mastering.

How true about blanketing anything in master buss....of course i've ruined many a mix doing just that.
    Now, thanks to listening to some beautiful mixes on the songs forum, i restrict these things to each track and the difference is quite nice (to my ears).
    For where I'm at mixing-wise, there's no doubt that a digital mix is needing some tape sat of some kind somewhere in the mix as it's painfully thin, sharp and metalic without it.  I hope to get to the place where I can get the natural warmth from the original tracks, but i ain't there.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    droddey
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/13 15:00:23 (permalink)
    The place where hardware can't be replaced is in the tracking phase. If your desire is to get a warm, harmonically rich, generally compressed, and correctly EQ'd signal into the DAW from the start, then you have to use hardware for that. That doesn't require that you have lots and lots of outboard gear really. A small set of well selected stuff will serve that purpose, and not necessarily expensive. An LA-610 is an example, or various other channel strip'ish boxes that make for nice tracking front ends. A Distressor, which you can get used for around $900 is another good choice. Or an Aurora Audio GTQC strip.

I don't have a lot of stuff. I have home made 1176 and LA-2A compressors, a Drawmer 1968, and a couple of ART VLA Pro II's, plus a pair of Speck EQs, plus a Solo/610 and a Great River pre-amp. That's enough variety to track things so that they are pretty close to what they need to be in the mix, and to get them pretty smooth and saturated, EQ'd and compressed. I just keep doing test pieces, trying to get a particular sound into the DAW, then see what I have to do in terms of mixing to get it there, and try to use that feedback the next time.

And obviously it can be used for mixing purposes as well. The 1176 and LA-2A are my most commonly used tracking comps. The two of them together, each doing half the work, makes for a nice result. The 1968 works well for a lot of stuff, and a nice drum bus or mix bus compressor. The Speck EQs aren't expensive and are quite flexible for tracking or mixing.
    post edited by droddey - 2010/09/13 15:04:46

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    batsbrew
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/15 16:07:27 (permalink)
    well, i've been dwelling on this for a bit...

like droddey says, that's squarely where my modus operendi has been for many years.

i ALWAYS track, thru analog gear.
    i have a nice Class A tube mic pre....

and an old DBX compressor.
    i KNOW what they will do to a signal, and i use them accordingly.

on every track.

even synth tracks, i run them thru the mic pre AND the dbx.

so, when i want certain tracks to have color...
    and different levels of color..

i do it analog, at the tracking level.

i have TRIED direct recording.....
    all digital...
    and i have tried all PLUG-INS......... for color.

and i never found what i wanted that way.

so, i'd say i'm a strong proponent of the idea of capturing the sound you want BEFORE it even hits the convertors.

in my mind (and ears) it makes all the difference in the world.

not to say, that there aren't brilliant mixers, that KNOW how to use the good plugins to get exactly the same effect.

i'm only saying I can't do it!   

i never aspired to be a sound engineer.

i'm a g'damn musician.
    LOL

but, i've had to learn on my own, or have no product, no output.
    so..................

ok, lots of good ideas here, on how to provide color and saturation with certain plugins.

i'm looking for sub-buss treatment for drums, guitars, and to a degree, vox.

i DO believe that a bit of an effect could be put across a master buss, but it'd have to be very subtle.

and in the end, i think getting final EQ's right, at mastering, is ultimately where it all ends up.

i don't know if i'll EVER be able to develop my ears well enough, to be able to roll off high end at the mastering level, to match the gentle and natural eq sound of vinyl.

adding high end EQ, for clarity, WITHOUT adding harshness, is the lesson i'm looking for right now.

funny,

it parallels my lessons in low end control, and getting fat low end, without mud.
    LOL

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Jeff Evans
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/15 17:49:36 (permalink)
    batsbrew some interesting points. One could say however that is tracking everything through the same device (s) a good thing. It could mean that every track is going to take on a similar sonic signature and they are all going to be very similar in some way.

I used to own a large format Tascam mixer and for years broke out all my tracks outputs through multiple sound cards and did full analog mixes on this and after a while I noticed all my mixes had the same sound on them. But after going to an all digital setup that sound went away and I was hearing something else and it seemed better to me and more transparent. I can put stems or part of the mix now through something like that Tascam mixer and control how much of that sound stays and goes or if it's there at all.

I am not always trying to copy the exact sound of a piece of hardware either, you don't have to. Who says that sound is holy and everything must sound like that, it is just one sound. But if you record direct to a clean mixer and start applying some interesting plug-ins after the fact then you are creating a new sound so to speak. Why cannot that be as good and interesting as the all analog sound.

One can vary the way things are tracked. I tend to track a wide variety of things (and as a result use a variety of input signal chains) and yes some things sound good through a great pre and compressor etc but you don't have to do it on everything. I have been working with a Yamaha digital mixer lately and I like the way things sound going direct to that. Also for the ultimate in transparency, one should patch a synth etc direct to the converters Input and don't go through anything at all. Some (external) synths sound better not going through any processing of any form on the way in. They are so perfect and detailed and amazing the way they are, they are better off going direct. I find then they maintain their integrity all the way through a complex mix even to the very end and even if they have come in very early on.

batsbrew
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/15 18:02:45 (permalink)
    jeff-
    i learned early on, what hitting the red on every track meant!

hehehe

the particular preamp i use, is very clean.

i can get great level out of it, with barely nudging the VU, or i can hit it hard.

so, it really depends on the track, as to how hard i'll hit anything,.

same thing with the dbx.
    i've used it long enough that i know how to set it just for glue, if that's what i want.

in my case, going in without it, sounds a bit sterile.
    so, i use it differently, on every track, with caution to not COLOR every track with the same sound.

that said, to be fair, i often run my direct line from my palmer (for guitar capture) directly to the soundcard....
    so there is an UN-colored example....

and sometimes i'll run the bass directly from the sansamp...
    and sometimes i'll run it thru my boogie!

so really, i guess i'm all over the map, and mis-represented my TRUE MO, for the sake of making a point.

there really are no rules.

and if someone gets a crushing sound, using a transient modeler, for example, or impulse, or whatever, i say it's good to go.

but in the purist camp, it does make sense to capture a sound as purely as possible, and if going digital makes it a bit harsh, analog outboard gear is a nice problem solver.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/15 18:32:52 (permalink)
    What DBX model do you use?

batsbrew
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/15 18:52:05 (permalink)
    little MC-6.

heheh

love it.

my secret weapon.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

droddey
    Re:how many use any type of tape saturation or vinyl emulation when mastering? 2010/09/15 23:24:15 (permalink)
    As has been pointed out many times, thousands of records, the one's many of us think are some of the best ever made, were recorded through effectively one piece of gear, being the pre-amps, EQs, summing, and compression of a single console. Different consoles do often have 'a sound', some purposefully more than others. But still, I'm sure that lots of albums recorded on a Neve console or an SSL console sound little alike.

I would imagine that you being you, and therefore always playing like you play, would have more to do similarity of output for us self-recorders. Certainly the tone of the source and style of the players would vastly outweight any influence of the hardware used. I guess that one of Fleetwood Mac's albums and Nirvana (Nevermind) were tracked on the same Neve console at Sound City Studios, and they definitely don't sound the same. Here's some of the albums recorded there. I doubt very seriously anyone could listen to those albums and say, oh, recorded on a Neve console or not.

http://www.soundcitystudios.com/cli_indx.html

Not to say you shouldn't use more toys if you have the financial wherewithal to own more toys. I certainly would. But it doesn't take a lot of hardware to mix it up quite a bit.

Dean Roddey
    www.charmedquark.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1