Let's talk Highs and Lows ?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
ba_midi
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14061
Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/15 22:16:35 (permalink)
johnnyV

6. The right drugs help too....

Yeah, if ya follow #5 in your post, you'll definitely need those too ;)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
hairyjamie
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 947
Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/16 08:01:03 (permalink)
Great thread and not a lot I think that I can add here apart from an observation.

Has anyone recently listened to any older recordings? I listened to some classic King Crimson for the first time in ages the other day and I was amazed at the lack of top end. It wasn't bad, in fact it was amazing but it just didn't have that top end focus that a lot of more recent music seems to have.

Undoubtedly this is a direct consequence of the equipment that was available at the time but you can't argue that it doesn't make for an enjoyable, satisfying and ear-fatigue-free experience!
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/18 14:23:39 (permalink)
Here is a spectrum of a Crusader song "Don't let it get you down". Notice the extended lows? There is no fall off below 30 Hz as one would expect. Yet the song is not boomy. This track was recorded in 1973. Lots of transient energy throughout the spectrum. The highs are crisp and clear.

post edited by John - 2010/09/18 14:32:49

Best
John
ba_midi
Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/18 14:34:36 (permalink)
John

Here is a spectrum of a Crusader song "Don't let it get you down". Notice the extended lows? There is no fall off below 30 Hz as one would expect. Yet the song is not boomy.

That's actually the kind of spectrum many records I like have -- and a lot of my own approach is in that range.

I think the reason it's not boomy, as you point out, is twofold:
1- harmonic content isn't as visible in this type of spectrum analyzer (this type generally shows enery and peaks and troughs);
2- In the 100Hz to rouhgly 300Hz range are dips.  A lot of the fundamentals are in there, so reducing that area will definitely have some affect on whether a track is boomy or not.

But that spectrum is very common in pop music.  And it's a good example of what is considered to many a good tonal balance.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

John
Forum Host
Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/18 14:49:15 (permalink)
Its not pop music though it is popular. LOL  I agree with everything you say. One thing I should point out is that the spectrum shown is only a moment in time. It is not an average of the song over time. Believe me it changes radically all the time. The Crusaders are very harmonically rich. I don't want anyone to think that the picture is definitive. It only gives the main point about the low end being very much there.  

I should say this was taken from a CD. Though it was not reprocessed much. I do believe it is louder than the vinyl. There is some tape hiss in it but nothing overbearing.

Best
John
Lanceindastudio
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4604
Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/18 15:04:59 (permalink)
ba_midi

Speaking of top acts ...  

There was a huge hit by Rhianna called "Rude Boy" ... it's a great record -- but, frankly it sounds distorted and thin in the 'upper' range to me.   I actually would probably never want to mix something that way.
YET - it still had this 'thing', which is hard to explain/describe, that just worked for the record overall.

I would never use that record as an example of a 'great' recording.  But 'great recording' and 'great record' can be two very different things.

For many here, Rhianna is probably not on the top of anyone's playlist, give or take a few here.  But it is an example of what I think is a weird 'high end' mix.  I mean it sounds awful at times, yet the record still works somehow.

This is, again, the thrust of this thread for me.  What constitutes a good balance in the high end -- excluding the bad mixes and occasional hits that have weird high ends ;)

Yeah that song is stilla  big hit- It is a perfect of example in my opinion of what I base my work on. Bruce Swedian said something similar. It is all about what the song needs. I go into each song with a basis of what I do but ultimately no rules!

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
i7 3770k CPU
32 gigs RAM
Presonus AudioBox iTwo
Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
Presonus Eureka
Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/18 18:13:59 (permalink)
John that is a great spectrum snapshot and just goes to show despite the fairly obvious slope in the HF, the highs are still loud and clear. I think the ear is quiet sensitive to high frequencies (normal hearing implied of course)

And Lanceindastudio you are very correct about treating individual tracks for mastering as separate things. It also makes the concept of using the same mastering presets (and people do it) over all tracks seem silly to me. One could think that there is consistency in doing this but there are inconsistent results as to how a track is going to react to a preset. The result of the track's program material might not agree that well with the preset and then you are not getting the most out of the track. I wonder how many when mastering compare the completely unmastered track at the same volume to the mastered track to make sure you are actually doing good!

I find a better way to achieve consistency of tone within an album during mastering is to have a reference track (either imported from the outside or one of your best tracks well mastered and you have decided that is the sound of the CD) and you keep comparing the track you are currently mastering to the reference. I have sat in on a few serious mastering sessions here in Melbourne and they all did that.

But sorry for going off topic a bit as we are into mastering but we are still talking about high and low end. It seems to me that many well mastered tracks have a similar high frequency slope attached to them. The other day I pulled out some vinyl and listened to a few things on my very high quality turntable. I was a bit disappointed actually. I found  a lot the mixes were a bit dull in comparison. (to the work I have been doing in the studio) But then again maybe I should listen to it for a few weeks and then I will probably come out saying the highs are perfect.

Talking about lows too they can be over loud and what is very interesting to me is when you tame the bottom end or shelve it down to normality, how much the top end suddenly speaks without even touching it. Both ends of the spectrum really effect each other so much.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2010/09/18 18:15:41

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
ba_midi
Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/18 18:24:13 (permalink)
But sorry for going off topic a bit as we are into mastering but we are still talking about high and low end. It seems to me that many well mastered tracks have a similar high frequency slope attached to them. The other day I pulled out some vinyl and listened to a few things on my very high quality turntable. I was a bit disappointed actually. I found a lot the mixes were a bit dull in comparison. (to the work I have been doing in the studio) But then again maybe I should listen to it for a few weeks and then I will probably come out saying the highs are perfect. Talking about lows too they can be over loud and what is very interesting to me is when you tame the bottom end or shelve it down to normality, how much the top end suddenly speaks without even touching it. Both ends of the spectrum really effect each other so much.

Jeff, for what it's worth - I do think the concept of mastering comes into play heavily with regard to what I've been calling the "personality" of a mix.

Like you, when I listen to some older recordings I get a little disappointed (not from the musical point of view, just the technical one).

And I agree, when the lows get out of the way (ie, if they are overbearing) a lot of the 'top end' shines through much better.

This is good - because it's this type of discussion that I had in mind to begin with ;)
And your input is always a welcome thing.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/18 19:09:03 (permalink)
Thanks billy I appreciate it. The concept of keeping lows and highs under control starts right at the track level and with choice of microphones and mike placement. And for some of us who also deal with a lot of midi and synth sounds the same applies. One needs to get the synth sound right and into perspective. I find if I do that early things tend to work out much better later on in the production process. Many hardware synths have different amounts of high and low end. (eg Yamaha A5000 is much brighter and toppy than Kurzweil or even EMU. Korg M1 has a fat warm sound overall too)

And some of the virtual ones are pretty amazing too like NI 'Prism' for example. Now there is an instrument that can really tinkle the high harmonics. ( I have just got Prism and if you have not heard it you must, it is a sensation!)

I think earlier in this thread it was mentioned that sampled or synth sounds are generally more right and need less work but I tend to agree with you in that they are just as demanding if not more sometimes because you might have to spend time just getting the EQ right like any audio track.

I like having a digital mixer because many of my synths are connected to it and it allows for such nice EQ and dynamics right at the input before the sound is even recorded. It is amazing how the sound of a synth can radically change even with just a small scoop out around 300 Hz for example. I noticed the Korg M1 really has a bit of a peak around this area with all patches and just carving it out can make it sound completely different. The top end of some patches (from any instrument) can be very bright too and subtle EQ can really go a long way here to getting it right early on. Same goes for bottom end. If you know a sound is not going to be contributing much in the final picture bottom end wise then why not tame it out early as well.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
ba_midi
Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/18 19:56:09 (permalink)
Jeff,

I suspect most would not agree with me that working on plugins (synths/samplers, etc) takes more effort in some respects than with acoustical instruments.

Each has its own set of things to tackle, of course -- but I just find EQ'ing digital instruments one has to be careful because there doesn't exist that natural acoustical harmonic structures, generally.   Sure, some synths are even heavier harmonically (transients, formats, and all that) - but synths tend to be very specific in many ways.

I'm not sure I'm conveying what I mean ... but if I EQ a vocal, for example, it seems there's more 'room' for the tonal and apatial qualities to breathe.

With synths, even a little EQ seems to have more dramatic affect (in general).

And, as you point out - many synths (hardware or virtual) tend to have a certain emphasis in some areas.   The Korg M1, as you mention, definitely has a certain sound to it, as did the DX7 as another example.   Even though each were/are capable of many sounds, there was always an inherent quality about them.  True for most synths.

But I suppose one could say that's true for most acoustic instruments as well.  Yes - but not quite in the same limited way, I'd suggest.

As you again point out - even small EQ scoops tend to have much deeper affect on the synths.

ANd, while there's no doubt digital forms of compressors and other processing utilities have come a LONG way, I think, again, they tend to have more dramatic affect than their analog counterparts.  That can be a good thing or a bad thing.

I find it also interesting how using different textures can bring out the highs (or lows) in other parts.   If you have a lot of deep pizzicato strings combined with a basic drum beat and simple bass, the drums will probably need less highs because the pizz strings tend to not have many -- leaving that room for the drums.

Whereas if you have a heavy metal/distortion guitar that is loaded with harmonics, and takes up a lot of frequency space -- the drums probably will need a bit more pushing in both the highs and lows just to cut through.

Which, in summary leads me to say:   "Sigh, there's no rest for the weary when it comes to mixing"  LOL

post edited by ba_midi - 2010/09/18 19:58:12

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

John
Forum Host
Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/18 23:11:34 (permalink)
Really really nice discussion from both Billy and Jeff. I even think the idea of "personality" makes more since to me now. I think Billy you have done a great job of explaining what you were getting at. Jeff helped a lot too.

Now you all have got me wanting to look at and listen to a lot of music and see what I can glean from them. Very interesting. 

Best
John
ba_midi
Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/19 05:14:33 (permalink)
John

Really really nice discussion from both Billy and Jeff. I even think the idea of "personality" makes more since to me now. I think Billy you have done a great job of explaining what you were getting at. Jeff helped a lot too.

Now you all have got me wanting to look at and listen to a lot of music and see what I can glean from them. Very interesting. 

John,

Thanks for your kind words.  I do feel this is important -- to me, and anyone else who feels they want to improve their skills.  Maybe I'm being too self-indulged, in that regard.  But I know that asking questions yields great results.

And, as for listenting to music ------um, YEAH :)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

The Maillard Reaction
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:Let's talk Highs and Lows ? 2010/09/19 09:46:06 (permalink)
OK,

yesterday I received 3 CD in the mail from Amazon.

Luckey and the Lion, Harlem Piano: Wow! Great performances, but it seems like the first half of the album was recorded with a Westrex. I have to say this record is for Harlem Stride Piano enthusiasts... all in all it sounds best at low SPL... it's not something you are inspired to sit and experience as a "mix".

Robin Ford, Soul on Ten: This album has a great band, super competent singing, and the guitar playing is stellar. The mix sounded remarkably like the board mixes my friends bring over from the local blues festivals. It is a documentary recording of a live act, mixed by experts, recorded with no apologies for the fact that it wasn't tracked for a studio sound. There is a heavy emphasis on bass tonality... indeed, that is the way live shows, with huge PAs differ from "records"... and this record sounds like it was mixed by "live show" guys. This mix sounds best LOUD.

Love Sculpture, Blues Helping: English Niinja electric blues, recorded in that mid 1960's English homage to Chicago and Memphis style. Perfect reverb, light touch... made for vinyl records bass tones... premixed guitar that leaves room for everything else... yet just blows your hair back. The whole thing is packaged to be played across a wide range of SPL. I like it medium loud.

I don't now what that means.

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1