Getting Boss DR-5 drum machine music into Sonar...

Author
seedyb
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
2010/09/17 10:10:19 (permalink)

Getting Boss DR-5 drum machine music into Sonar...

Not sure to what level this is even possible.

Long story short I have a full tune programmed into my boss...bass, drums, horns etc.
I would like to get this into sonar so that it can be further mixed and manipulated.
is this possible?

i understand that i can record this straight up as an audio track via some stereo rca inputs....but this leaves me with little flexibility in terms of manipulation.

Boss Dr-5 has a midi in/out as well as my soundcard.
So it seems reasonable enough that i can export the midi data into sonar....however....won't this just be a slew of triggers and not the actual music I have programmed??

Is there a way to extract this music as midi and still retain the sound patches that are coming from my Boss DR-5???

5 Replies Related Threads

seedyb
    Re:Getting Boss DR-5 drum machine music into Sonar... 2010/09/17 11:02:15 (permalink)
    Mystic38
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1622
    Re:Getting Boss DR-5 drum machine music into Sonar... 2010/09/17 15:12:10 (permalink)
    Hi
    Sorry of your question is way more detailed than it reads..but it reads as if you are asking a very basic question of midi recording?..

You should be able to hook the DR-5 up and set it as a midi device under menu>options>midi devices;
    * having your DR5 as a midi input will let you record your midi data from the machine into a Sonar midi track.
    * With the DR5 as a midi output, it is a sound generator and you can playback the original or editted midi tracks via the DR5.

Note you can also remap your patches to any other MIDI sound generator you have... GM sound card, external synth or sonar soft synth
    cheers
    seedyb
    Re:Getting Boss DR-5 drum machine music into Sonar... 2010/09/17 16:04:29 (permalink)
    lol no you got it right mystic.....my current level of confusion has me hung up on the most basic things it seems.

with that...i'm still not exactly sure what you mean here or that i'm explaining myself correctly.

i'll try to break down my jumbled thoughts as best i can here:

-i understand i can midi out to the midi in of my soundcard.
    this will let me record the midi data in sonar as a midi track.
    however my understanding is that this will be trigger information alone....meaning if i played this track i would hear nothing.

-i think you are saying here that i could midi out from my soundcard to the midi in on my DR5....and then i could hear the music i wrote via my DR5??

whatever the case....my dream here is to get this song into sonar as midi....using all of the sound patches i already have set in my DR5.
    in other words...i would like to record this tune as midi in sonar....and then be able to unplug my DR5 and put it in the closet....and at that point be able to play my tune in sonar and hear exactly what i wrote. 

i guess i don't HAVE to unplug my DR5 if it's needed....but utimately I would like to have my song in midi on sonar to add some more effects/mixing etc.

with both midi ins/outs connected will sonar essentially "pull" the sound patches from my DR5??  and so once i'm 100% complete with my mix.....i'll only need to convert this tune to a WAV or whatever and then i'll never need my DR5 again???

the most basic understanding in the world that i pray i have is that i could always just record an audio track via the RCA stereo inputs on my soundcard.
    however this will then be only an audio track with all drums/horns/bass in one track which obvs for mixing/effects purposes is far from ideal.

i'm sorry i'm such a mess here....thanks much for your reply!

Mystic38
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1622
    Re:Getting Boss DR-5 drum machine music into Sonar... 2010/09/17 19:21:13 (permalink)
    hi,
    Well, you are right that a midi track contains the notes and velocities for your instrument.. plus any pitch bend, modulation or expression (such as the sustain pedal).
    As such a midi track needs a midi output.. and hopefully if you record the tracks from your DR5, when they are played back via the DR5 as a sound generator then all will (hope hopefully) be well.

If you wish not to use your DR5 once you have got the songs into Sonar, then what you will need to do is select (as the midi output device for the midi tracks) your computer sound card.... they all have a GM (general midi) sound module onboard.

GM is a defined agreed set of instruments in particular locations, so for example, i can load a gm (*.mid) file from the web and it will play via the computer sound card, and also play via my synth as these are all GM compatible.

So, worst case is that the DR5 is not GM compatible, and all you would have to do is look at the output section of each instrument track, (you have selected your sound card as the midi output) and select the patch number from the list for what you want.. bass, synth, strings etc..

Start by getting your midi track data into SONAR :)
    Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Getting Boss DR-5 drum machine music into Sonar... 2010/09/18 08:43:47 (permalink)
    seedyb

Not sure to what level this is even possible.

Long story short I have a full tune programmed into my boss...bass, drums, horns etc.
    I would like to get this into sonar so that it can be further mixed and manipulated.
    is this possible?

i understand that i can record this straight up as an audio track via some stereo rca inputs....but this leaves me with little flexibility in terms of manipulation.

Boss Dr-5 has a midi in/out as well as my soundcard.
    So it seems reasonable enough that i can export the midi data into sonar....however....won't this just be a slew of triggers and not the actual music I have programmed??

Is there a way to extract this music as midi and still retain the sound patches that are coming from my Boss DR-5???

Hooking up the DR5's Midi Output to your soundcards Midi Input and setting Sonars Midi track input to the appropriate channel on your soundcards Midi input list should let you record all the Midi data the DR5 sends. You can alter the type of data sent with the DR5's setup options so that you send only note-on, note-off, pitch bend, expression etc. If you haven't set up an instrument definition for the DR5 in Sonar you should. It will make the DR5 easier to use in Sonar. Especially if you are going to use the recorded data to then trigger the DR5. 
    Sending only note-on, note-off, expression, pitchbend data will make it easier to use the data you've recorded to trigger a different drum soft synth such as Session Drummmer 3 in that patch change information won't be sent and recorded and the soft synth won't try to respond to it.
    Most drum machines send data on channnel 10. I'm not sure about your soundcard and drum module and their capabilities for multi-channel transmission, but that is what you want to sort out.

Craig DuBuc
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1