MIDIAIR settings for Line 6 POD or V Amp2

Author
Greystorm
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 199
2010/09/17 10:21:28 (permalink)

MIDIAIR settings for Line 6 POD or V Amp2

Hey Guys: I know this isnt really Cakewalk product but it is a studio set up issue and I am looking for your expertise. I am trying to use the free to air midi air unit from M-Audio to connect this guitar effects to my DAW ( Trying to eliminate cables ) I have tried all the configurations I can think of but cant get either the POD or the VAMP to recognize the setings.

Anyone tried something like this, I want to use the software for the 2 units. I have one hard-wired but want to try the wireless on one of the others

Thanks in advance

Middle Age Crazy- Some guys buy fast cars and chase fast women. I dusted off my guitar, tweaked the PC (EDIT:spent thousands of dollars on all these toys) and kicked the kids out of the basement
http://members.soundclick.com/Cole%27s+Garage

5 Replies Related Threads

daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:MIDIAIR settings for Line 6 POD or V Amp2 2010/09/17 12:17:17 (permalink)
    I assume you have the transmitter and receiver and they are giving the proper indications.

What version of Windows are you using? Looks like only XP and Vista 32-bit are supported. No support for Windows 7 or 64-bit.
    Does Windows recognize it when you plug in the USB cable?  Is it listed in the Windows Device Manager? If Windows doesn't know about it, neither will Sonar.

Edit:
    You may find a Windows 7 driver here: http://forums.m-audio.com...ighlight=MIDAir+driver

Not sure if its 64 bit.
    post edited by daveny5 - 2010/09/17 12:22:23

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:MIDIAIR settings for Line 6 POD or V Amp2 2010/09/17 13:10:16 (permalink)
    No support for, but the Mid-Air works on Win 7 x64 and Sonar x64. I use it daily here transmitting midi about 50 feet away from the edrum kit in the garage to my DAW.

I am not quite clear on what you are trying to do but here is a pass. The Mid-Air only transmits midi signals one direction and it does not pass audio. So are you trying to change parameters from Sonar to control the POD or trying to send POD midi data to Sonar?

For example I have an edrum kit from Roland and I transmit the midi data from the Roland module, out through the Mid-Air transmitter which sends it 50 feet away to the receiver which is connected to my computer.  Sonar pickups up the midi data and records the drums hits. I then add in Superior Drummer to be triggered by the midi data. I cannot however send mid data back to the Roland module because the transmitter is one way.

I think what you are looking for is a bi-directional feed to have software control your Pod and make changes from the DAW. Alternatively if you make a change to the POD it would update the DAW software.

The Mid-Air does have a midi out line but it's not wireless. So having a wireless send of midi data and a return on a cable, kind of defeats the need for wireless due to limitations on midi cable runs i.e signal degradation.

I am still not clear on why you need to be that far from the pod to use wireless. Please clarify.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    Greystorm
    Re:MIDIAIR settings for Line 6 POD or V Amp2 2010/09/17 19:49:13 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies, let me clarify. As I said this has no impact or interaction with Cakewalk.

If you have used either of these guitar effects with midi you know you can manipulate the settings at your computer thru things like POD Farm, Tone locker for the POD and the Vamp has the same thing. This is great because you can actually see the tones that you are working with. So you can set a bank of tones up on the screen then switch thru them with the pedals.

I have built my studio with 5 work stations with a Floor box at each with 2 xlr and 2 1/4 pin inputs that run under the floor in concrete. This was to elimanate all the cords on the floor. The midi was not included at the guitar locations. One station I was able to run along the wall out of the way, the other is across the room so I was hoping to use the midiair to eliminate the cables

I am using XP, the drivers are updated the DAW sees the device, its the config I cant get right.

So if you stay with the thought, I want to send tone changes to the POD from the DAW. This tells me that I should have the receiver at the POD and the transmitter attached to the DAW thru actually a M-Aduio UNO midi. I have tried all kinds of configs but cant get the software for the POD or the Vamp to recognize it.

I may be out of luck but I thought I would try here

Hope this helps
    Thanks GS
    I know it sounds confusing but thats what I am trying to do.
    post edited by Greystorm - 2010/09/17 19:51:00

Middle Age Crazy- Some guys buy fast cars and chase fast women. I dusted off my guitar, tweaked the PC (EDIT:spent thousands of dollars on all these toys) and kicked the kids out of the basement

Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:MIDIAIR settings for Line 6 POD or V Amp2 2010/09/17 21:54:52 (permalink)
    You are out of luck. This is because software requires a bi-directional signal as follows:

Software -> midi out on Uno -> cable -> midi in on device (makes it possible to send changes to the device.

But you also need.

Device -> midi out -> cable -> midi in on Uno -> software

This is for verification and updates which the software requires from the device. Alternatively a USB interface can handle both directions when connected to a computer directly. USB to USB is bi-directional.

The Mid-Air replaces only one of the cables above, not both. You would need two of them to complete the circle. Is that clear? The software is expecting incoming and outgoing messages and the mid air can only handle one of those. With two you could do this.

If you did go with two, you would need to make sure all the connectors would match with the UNO. I am not sure this would even work.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    Greystorm
    Re:MIDIAIR settings for Line 6 POD or V Amp2 2010/09/18 08:04:09 (permalink)
    Thanks Middleman, I suspected as much as I tried every possible config. I guess it goes back and I run some cables

Cheers

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1