Rejected band names

Author
UbiquitousBubba
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8912
2010/09/17 11:21:57 (permalink)

Rejected band names

I was musing this morning on the band names that never were.  It seems that everytime a band starts figuring out who they are and how they want to be known, there is a great deal of concern about selecting just the right name.  It should be easy to remember, marketable, and give you some idea of the band's sound, character, and/or persona.  Band meetings where members debate the relative merits of proposed names can be very intense and passionate.  In the process of finding the perfect band name, there are a number of discarded or rejected names. 

Over the years, I'm sure we've all accumulated a collection of rejected band names.  Some of them may just be bad names, but some just might have come out at the wrong place and time.  I thought it might be interesting to admit to some of the horrific names of the past.  Here's a few I can remember.

• Love Carcass - I wasn't really serious about this one, but it stood out in my memory
  • Jellyfish of Destruction - Yes, for a metal band.  No, they didn't like it at all.
  • Glockenspiel - Nothing says Goth like a Glockenspiel (apparently).  Fortunately, this was rejected immediately.
  • Despair's Doilies - Blank looks.  I had to explain what a doilie was.  Blank looks.
  • Ballet of Burnt Souls - The idea tanked when I described the concept of wearing ballet outfits and having our guitarist play his leads on tiptoe followed a plié and/or a pirouette.  Also, none of us had any grace or dexterity of any kind.
  • Reality's Soft Underbelly - Long pause.  "Are there any good ideas instead?" 
  • Milk Maids of Doom - Statements like "Will you shut up?" and "You Idiot!" were declared with great ferver
  • Vegan Vengence - None of us were vegans
  • Bloat - Not serious.  I just liked the idea of hearing, "Put your hands together for Bloat!"  Various objects from around the room were hurled in my general direction.
  • Shut Up! - It was being said so much, I was beginning to think it was my name
  • Soft, Fluffy Cows - No one was even listening anymore, so I said it to amuse myself.  That happens a lot.
  • Masters of Obsequity - I kind of liked this one.  No response.
  • The Asinine Assassins - At this point, I looked around and saw that I was alone.  Typical.

13 Replies Related Threads

Jokerman
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 84
    Re:Rejected band names 2010/09/17 12:47:17 (permalink)
    The Grateful Dead were going to be called 

Mythical Ethical Icicle Tricycle.

-=mike=-

EasTexGuy
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 160
    Re:Rejected band names 2010/09/17 13:13:02 (permalink)
    I had heard that the Statler Brothers were once called "The Honkers" up til the day they saw the box of tissue sitting on granny's nightstand. ^_^

My Rig: Sonar X1 Studio - Vista 32 on AMD Quad Core @ 3ghz w/4 gig ram - Lexicon Lambda - Assorted Nuts, Bolts & Plugins - More Talent on order as well.
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Rejected band names 2010/09/17 14:16:16 (permalink)
    Me and my old guitar player ended our band Stateside and joined another group of folks who called themselves 'Warwazia'. A made-up name, doesn't mean anything.
    We lobbied for a change with suggestions flying in from all sides.
    I really wanted to call us 'The Balls' but the only one who liked it besides me was the guy who came up with Warwazia.
    Almost called ourselves 'White Heat' (a few James Cagney fans in the group). Eventually decided on Black Mariah, suggested by the drummer's mother.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Rejected band names 2010/09/17 14:30:29 (permalink)
    We all rejected The Coffee House Band (even the suggester) but nothing else floated up from the bottom of the tank.

(or did it?)

Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:Rejected band names 2010/09/17 14:42:21 (permalink)
    Blue Oyster Cult had the original name Soft White Underbelly, which is the name they used when they submitted thier demo to the record company. It was rejected. A short time later they submitted the same demo under the name Blue Oyster Cult. They got signed immediately.

Strange but true.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    Re:Rejected band names 2010/09/17 14:45:25 (permalink)
    I wanted to name a band Cecilia's Thong after a girl in our office who always was showing the top of her thong underwear above her skin tight jeans.

All of the guys were worried their wives / girlfriends would not like it so it was dropped.

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    rbecker
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 740
    Re:Rejected band names 2010/09/17 15:50:21 (permalink)
    Way way back when my old band formed, one name that was bandied about was "The Silver Pillars". The idea was that we would come on stage individually wrapped in tin foil, and then emerge from our respective "pillars" - Spinal Tap 'pod' fashion - to play the opening tune.

I didn't know at that time that the name used by the Beatles just before they were called the 'Beatles' was 'The Silver Beatles'. Actually, 'The Pillars' would not be all that bad of a name for a band. Maybe there is one. I will need to google that.

"Acid Arm" was another name that I thought up. Kind of a cool name, in retrospect, but too radical for what we were doing.

We had a lot of really off-color ideas for names that cannot be repeated here.

Please bear in mind that we were young and usually impaired to varying degrees.
    post edited by rbecker - 2010/09/17 15:52:18

RJB -Vernon Corv 

"There are 10 types of people in the world...Those who understand binary and those who don't."

My Songs
    ---
    Sonar Platinum
    HD: ST2000DM 001-1ER164 7200RPM
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @3.40 Ghz
    RAM:12.0 GB Memory:2 drives 1 Terabyte each
    Windows 10
    Video: NVIDA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Rejected band names 2010/09/17 15:57:18 (permalink)
    DEADWOOD DICK AND THE ERECTION SET

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Rejected band names 2010/09/17 15:59:09 (permalink)
    i actually might steal that one....

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Rejected band names 2010/09/17 16:05:24 (permalink)
    "Free Beer" as a band name...on the marquee outside....... guaranteed to get lots of people through the door ONE TIME, until they find out there is no free beer...it's just the band's name..... then the band would probably have their butts kicked for such a stupid joke...especially down here in the south.

In today's environment, the club owner would probably be sued for false and misleading advertising.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Rejected band names 2010/09/17 17:48:55 (permalink)
    Ah, the identity crisis of a group which hasn't found an identity. Strangely enough, Butthole Surfers was signed. Sign of the times-industry?
    Remember the Phsycidelic Furs? Alice In Chains? Stone Temple Pilots? What's the metaphor in the name got to do with the content in the bands work?

Craig DuBuc
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    Re:Rejected band names 2010/09/18 16:51:13 (permalink)
    Some recently rejected suggestions from me for names for my band circa 2009

Barmaids Apron
    The Terror Pins
    The Furtles
    Leyton Desire
    Norfolk and Good
    Present and Reject
    Wing and a Prayer
    The Chilbies
    The Alltogethers

and we finally agreed on................

The Treatments (Band)
    The Strumberries (Duo spin off)

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Rejected band names 2010/09/18 18:23:19 (permalink)
    We kept coming up with what we thought were original names and most of them were pretty obscure and weird but all were taken, well not exactly, I mean if you find the name is being used by a bunch of snot noses from bumf--k Alberta should you just go ahead and use it anyways?  But the way the world works chances are you'll run into them someday and find out their Bass player is 300lb gorilla...
    I used Google and then most of all is Face book to check for names in use. My conclusion is there are more bands than there are iPods to play them on
    The ones that were left behind!
    Turgid Members
    Skunky and the gland band
    Forever Stupid
    The Retro Rockets -taken

Local band names that died but I thought were catchy
    The Kokanee Kowboys

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1