Creating backup files - transfering from one computer to another

Author
kev11111111111111
Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1772
2010/09/18 06:44:28 (permalink)

Creating backup files - transfering from one computer to another

hi !
Is it possible to transfer files from one computer to another via a USB lead or something similiar ? If not I'm considering uploading files and then downloading them onto the other computer - which is the easiest way ?
Kev

7 Replies Related Threads

larrymcg
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1310
    Re:Creating backup files - transfering from one computer to another 2010/09/18 15:34:07 (permalink)
    Don't know what a "USB lead" is. 
    If the computers are connected via a local area network (via ethernet cables or wireless), you can set up some file sharing and just click and drag the files from one to the other.
    If you can easily travel between the computers, then you can put the files on a USB flash drive (or a USB connected portable hard disk) and move the flash drive from one computer to the other.
    If the computers are far apart, then uploading/downloading works.  So does email.  Or if the files are too big for email you can use a service like YouSendIt (which is free) for files up to some pretty big limit.
    --Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
    kev11111111111111
    Re:Creating backup files - transfering from one computer to another 2010/09/18 16:11:26 (permalink)
    putting the files on a USB flash drive probably is the best way for me ! Thanks !
    Kev
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Creating backup files - transfering from one computer to another 2010/09/20 13:13:19 (permalink)
    kev11111111111111

putting the files on a USB flash drive probably is the best way for me ! Thanks !
    Kev

Those things are super handy and getting bigger and cheaper all the time. I got a 32 gig one off e-bay (super talent pico) to go in my car stereo for $75.  Most external drives have a power supply or extra wires to mess with, those USB flash drives are easier, you just plug it in and copy your files.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Creating backup files - transfering from one computer to another 2010/09/20 14:00:28 (permalink)
    there's a couple of ways to do this....

1. if the files are small, a USB stick will work just fine.

2. if the files are large... or there are a large number of files and folders that need to be transferred, the easier way is to set up a PEER TO PEER network connection.

I just set this up on my new DAW with my lappy DAW. This works really well. There are several ways to set this up.

You can use a normal cat5 cable for each computer and a network switch... handy if you have this stuff laying around not being used. IF NOT.... and you need to buy stuff.... simply buy a CAT5 CROSSOVER cable. plug one end into one computer and the other end into the other computer. It's just a matter of allowing network discovery on both computers.... setting up a few things and waaa laaa... send files back and forth all day long at fast speeds.

here is a link to a help site.... http://www.chicagotech.net/workgroupsetup.htm    I actually started through one of these "how-to" sites when I realized that the network connection was already functional on my 2 machines....

they both must be in the same work group.... this is a sweet way to do what you want.

if that site doesn't help... google this..there are a bunch of sites.. some better and easier to understand than others.

edit: I'm not a computer geek and I had this running in a matter of minutes.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/09/20 14:03:28

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    kev11111111111111
    Re:Creating backup files - transfering from one computer to another 2010/09/24 02:52:34 (permalink)
    ohhey

kev11111111111111

Kev

Those things are super handy and getting bigger and cheaper all the time. I got a 32 gig one off e-bay (super talent pico) to go in my car stereo for $75.  Most external drives have a power supply or extra wires to mess with, those USB flash drives are easier, you just plug it in and copy your files.

Whoops I forgot about this thread so for the late reply !  Yep USB Flash drives are the way to go I think...$75 is great value for 32 gig.This is most likely what I'll do.Thanks for your post !
    Kev

kev11111111111111
    Re:Creating backup files - transfering from one computer to another 2010/09/24 02:59:18 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

there's a couple of ways to do this....

1. if the files are small, a USB stick will work just fine.

2. if the files are large... or there are a large number of files and folders that need to be transferred, the easier way is to set up a PEER TO PEER network connection.

I just set this up on my new DAW with my lappy DAW. This works really well. There are several ways to set this up.

You can use a normal cat5 cable for each computer and a network switch... handy if you have this stuff laying around not being used. IF NOT.... and you need to buy stuff.... simply buy a CAT5 CROSSOVER cable. plug one end into one computer and the other end into the other computer. It's just a matter of allowing network discovery on both computers.... setting up a few things and waaa laaa... send files back and forth all day long at fast speeds.

here is a link to a help site.... http://www.chicagotech.net/workgroupsetup.htm    I actually started through one of these "how-to" sites when I realized that the network connection was already functional on my 2 machines....

they both must be in the same work group.... this is a sweet way to do what you want.

if that site doesn't help... google this..there are a bunch of sites.. some better and easier to understand than others.

edit: I'm not a computer geek and I had this running in a matter of minutes.

LOL I'm no computer geek either - I always thought these kinds of procedures were pretty difficult to set up,hence the attraction of the USB option ! If its fairly simple I might look into it.When people use the big orchestra libraries they sometimes use a spare machine to run them don't they ? I wonder if this is the same method for synching the two computers together ? Thanks for your post :
    Kev

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Creating backup files - transfering from one computer to another 2010/09/24 08:48:49 (permalink)
     I was amazed at how (relatively) easy it was to set up that simple peer to peer network with the crossover cable. I still use the USB thumb drive, but I have the option now to send it down the wire as well.

On the orchestral libraries question....no, you don't want to ever try to run them across a network of any kind having the app on one machine and the library on a different machine. No...that's asking for trouble from the start.

You can, however, when you start the install, select a custom install, and or designate where the libraries will install.

I try to run ALL my apps from the same C drive as the OS. The apps are generally not really huge honking files. I select a separate drive ON the computer (a storage drive) OR it is OK to load them onto an external USB connected drive as well...if they are memory loaded samples. All of mine so far are memory loaded.
     As long as the samples load into memory and run from there.... Kontakt & EWQL load into memory, they will work fine from a different drive, even the external ones. Some samples are streaming samples and they would want to be installed as the installer defaults them.

I used the external drive for quite some time with my lap top since the library samples exceeded the lappy's one internal HD size by a considerable margin. My new machine has a huge amount of storage and is capable of much more..... so everything is now running internal. I have removed the files from the external drive and now use it for back up.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1