Author
luc.vanroy1@live.be
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2010/09/18 15:44:21 (permalink)

midi to audio align

Hello,
I am new to Sonar, so be patient.
now I am starting to make midifiles from songs.
the reason is that not all songs can be found on midifiles and some midifiles are really bad.
I import the audio song into Sonar as a reference.
then I set the project tempo. but here the trouble starts, since audio songs have no steady tempo flow.
I can set an average tempo but that is it.
now my question is how do I align the audio to midi project tempo or have the midi tempo change to the audio tempo changes?
this is a complete song not audio parts.
what is the best to do? have mutiple midi tempos or change the audio tempo?
I have seen a video on samplitude that a guy set up multiple midi tempo changes (with markers) to the audio to get all in sync.
is there a good tutorial how to do it? where can i find it?
what is the best way to go about this?
greetings to all

Loekie

3 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:midi to audio align 2010/09/18 17:42:09 (permalink)
    You need to set the project to the tempo of the audio and then the MIDI will follow the project and the audio.

To find out the tempo of the audio, (if you dont know it) You can use Audio snap

To extract the tempo form an audio clip, you can also use audio snap

To make an audio clip snap to a tempo, you can use audio snap

Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Dreamliner
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re:midi to audio align 2010/09/18 18:22:18 (permalink)
    I hate to admit this but I've never yet used AudioSnap. The way I do the job is to use a (hardware) metronome to find the approximate tempo. I then play a simple MIDI drum beat track along with the audio, sync them up at the beginning and vary the tempo until I get a good match.

If the audio original used a click track, this works fine as there's a single fixed tempo and it's usually a whole number of beats per minute. However, many older recordings have variable tempo. In this case I insert new tempos at appropriate points until I get a good match. This is time consuming but ultimately it works. Luckily I don't charge by the hour: I do this as a hobby!

For the purposes described (fitting MIDI tracks to a song) you don't have to be spot on, as the finished product will be the MIDI on its own.
    luc.vanroy1@live.be
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:midi to audio align 2010/09/19 11:48:55 (permalink)
    I think its the best way to sync the midi tempo to the audio song so I have the natural rythm of humans playing.
    Its a hell of a job though.
    one thing I cannnot find sonar is when I insert a softsynth that I can automaticly direct each miditrack to it. lets say for instance to TTS1.
    In cubase one simply has to hold the Alt key and then assign one miditrack to a softsynth, then all the tracks are assigned to it.
    can i do this in Sonar?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1