looping muliptle midi clips.

Author
dcpugh
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16
2010/09/18 19:28:07 (permalink)

looping muliptle midi clips.

All - I have what seems to be a simple problem: I have a about six individual clips created using the step sequencer through Session Drummer 3 that are all on the same MIDI track in project. I'm satisfied with the loop, and I now want to loop the whole thing - all six clips - through the length of my song. For the life of me I can't figure out how to do this ... I can copy and paste each individual clip, but it's sort of a pain ... Any ideas on how to do this?

This is on SONAR 8.5.2 Producer.

Looking forward to any insights.

Thanks as always
Dave

8 Replies Related Threads

djjhart@aol.com
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2189
    Re:looping muliptle midi clips. 2010/09/18 20:03:59 (permalink)
     Try Cntl L on the clip and drag it out ..  
    post edited by djjhart@aol.com - 2010/09/18 20:06:20

Computer - Intel Q9550, Intel BX48bt2 MB, W8 64 bit. 8 gb Ram, SSD  
    Hardware - Tascam Fw1884 Control surface only, Ni S49 Komplete Kontroll,Roland Quad Capture, Ni Machine,Kore, Focusrite A/D converter, Blue Mic, Roland Gaia, Akai Mpk49, Yamaha HS80 Monitors.
    Software - Sonar Platinum , Vengeance VPS bundle,Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Turnado, NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Dune, Rob Papen  Blade , Delay, Punch Evolved.
     http://soundcloud.com/johnhartson/tracks  
     http://www.youtube.com/user/jhart1313 

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:looping muliptle midi clips. 2010/09/18 20:05:28 (permalink)
    As above select the clips and drag the ends out as far as you want.....................
    ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:looping muliptle midi clips. 2010/09/18 20:27:19 (permalink)
    FastBikerBoy

As above select the clips and drag the ends out as far as you want.....................

It's not always that simple.   IF the clips do not end at the proper boundaries (ie, how many beats there are in the clip or clips) it will not roll-out properly.   So that has to be managed as well.

Easiest way is to right click, go into properties for the clip(s) and set the beats if they are not already correct.  Then it will roll-out with the right measure/beat boundaries.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    bvideo
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1707
    Re:looping muliptle midi clips. 2010/09/18 22:35:32 (permalink)
    If you have your six clips staggered over several measures, say 8, and you want to loop that 8 measures over the song, you could bounce your six clips/8 measures to a single clip, and set the properties of the resulting clip to loop at 32 beats. Then drag the ends to reach over the song.

Bill B

ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:looping muliptle midi clips. 2010/09/18 22:55:51 (permalink)
    bvideo

If you have your six clips staggered over several measures, say 8, and you want to loop that 8 measures over the song, you could bounce your six clips/8 measures to a single clip, and set the properties of the resulting clip to loop at 32 beats. Then drag the ends to reach over the song.

Bill B

Bill,

Yep - that's exactly what I was referring to that you clearly explained better than I :)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:looping muliptle midi clips. 2010/09/19 02:39:04 (permalink)
    Stand corrected, I didn't get the different length clips bit. I thought they were just 6 straight clips.
    djjhart@aol.com
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2189
    Re:looping muliptle midi clips. 2010/09/19 09:53:45 (permalink)
    I tend not to record that way I like all my clips separated, Grouping all in on clips tends to be time consuming when programming Later, Let say I have hats, snare, and a kick all grouped than I have to use the piano roll to program ,Visually its harder, if I wanna drop the kick for 4 bars I have to open the clip up in the piano roll and erase the kick for 4 bars, where as separate clips I just delete the whole clip hit Q (mute clip) or slip edit back ..  Billy is correct saying that the clips might be at different lengths so slip dragging might not be correct, What I do is bounce to clips then cntrl L if I run into that issue.  But more or less I would just bounce to clips and program using the selected clip with out slip dragging , copy and paste, so editing is alot easier.. I also keep my Kicks separated and never grouped , I would only group certain things such as my Percussion' s or Hats, . I like as much control as possible , If I wanna send my kick to a sidechain I can np. 

Computer - Intel Q9550, Intel BX48bt2 MB, W8 64 bit. 8 gb Ram, SSD  
    Hardware - Tascam Fw1884 Control surface only, Ni S49 Komplete Kontroll,Roland Quad Capture, Ni Machine,Kore, Focusrite A/D converter, Blue Mic, Roland Gaia, Akai Mpk49, Yamaha HS80 Monitors.
    Software - Sonar Platinum , Vengeance VPS bundle,Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Turnado, NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Dune, Rob Papen  Blade , Delay, Punch Evolved.
     http://soundcloud.com/johnhartson/tracks  
     http://www.youtube.com/user/jhart1313 

dcpugh
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re:looping muliptle midi clips. 2010/09/19 11:17:05 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone. The "Bounce" technique worked great. I'm all set ... and I left the independent clips at the beginning of the song, and bounced the subsequent clips and dragged them out for the whole length of the song.

Many thanks as always to this great community!
    Dave

www.facebook.com/dcpugh

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1