Rack mounted guitar efx What would you recomend ?

Author
Norrie
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1665
2010/09/22 19:13:06 (permalink)

Rack mounted guitar efx What would you recomend ?

Hey guys

I orderd a behringer Vamp a few weeks ago but it has not arrived yet I have a strange feeling I wont be geting it and will need to be geting paypal to get my money back anyway with that said.....

What would you guys recomend ?

I am looking for something I can rack mount for studio and also for live use.

I thought the V amp would be a good idea as I heard great reviews and watched a lot of videos and it sounded awesome .

Whats your thoughts on a good product?

I fancy a gt pro and plan to get one in about 6 months time but untill then I am looking for something cheeper to do the job.....

I am still hopeing the V amp could arrive but I aint going to hold my breath....

Thanks all

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
Pro Tools 11
Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
Adam A77x
i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz

21 Replies Related Threads

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Rack mounted guitar efx What would you recomend ? 2010/09/23 07:08:25 (permalink)
    The Line 6 POD XT Pro (rack mount model) or whatever the newer model is would be a better choice.  The Behringer is a copy of the Line 6 but it's a model or two behind.  I have a POD XT and the Line 6 support for it has been great and with their free software I can save user programs (they call them "tones"), add modify, create etc on the PC via USB.  I think the new model may even have a MIDI I/O. 

I use the POD XT to record direct to the board with my Pedal Steel Guitar.  I have a clean program ("tone") that I have developed for Pedal Steel that I use.  If you want distortion, etc there are plenty of built in programs or you can develop your own.

I've heard some "session" musicians in Nashville have used these direct.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Norrie
    Re:Rack mounted guitar efx What would you recomend ? 2010/09/23 09:08:12 (permalink)
    Hey thanks for the reply

I should have said It was the V AMP pro I orderd this one http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/LX1-PRO.aspx

IT can be controled etc from the computer with a download from the Behringer site.

I had found one new for £99 So I jumped on it thining it would do me untill I get a boss GTPRO in about 6 months when some money i am waiting on comes in to my account.

Price wise I would have the boss GT PRO over the pod xt any day it beats it hands down (IMO)

I have never thought the Pod sounds were as good as the boss just my opinion though :)

Norrie

post edited by Norrie - 2010/09/23 09:21:40

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Rack mounted guitar efx What would you recomend ? 2010/09/23 10:33:07 (permalink)
    i have yet, to find a modeler that sounds as good as a real amp, or a rack mount effects processor, that sounds as good as hand-selected pedals.

are you just looking to work on demos, or are you serious about recording final product?

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

jaydon74
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re:Rack mounted guitar efx What would you recomend ? 2010/09/23 11:21:47 (permalink)
    This will probably be out of your price range, but I'll throw this option out there.. Have you ever tried the Fractal Audio Axe-FX??
    They have the standard version and the Ultra model.. I had one of these about a yr ago and had to part with it due to hard times.  The support is great, free firmware updates, and the forumites are very knowledgeable and friendly.  U can either go direct into your audio interface, mixer, or into a guitar cab and mic it that way.. So many options are at your fingertips..
    Definitely give it a look.. Many famous musicians are using these units now (Petrucci, Vai, Dweezil Zappa, etc...)
    Here's the link:
    http://fractalaudio.com/index.html

And no, i don't work for them.. LOL.. I just know the minute my funds get back where they are supposed to be, I'll be getting the standard model and (2) 1x12 cab's.. :)
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Rack mounted guitar efx What would you recomend ? 2010/09/23 11:30:53 (permalink)
    Regardless of the Behringer version they are always 1 model or revision behind Line 6.  Line 6's control software, "Pod Farm" software that will work with Sonar, large library of "tones"  and relatively good tech support make Behringer look pretty bad.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Norrie
    Re:Rack mounted guitar efx What would you recomend ? 2010/09/23 11:34:17 (permalink)
    batsbrew

i have yet, to find a modeler that sounds as good as a real amp, or a rack mount effects processor, that sounds as good as hand-selected pedals.

are you just looking to work on demos, or are you serious about recording final product?

I am loking to be able to get the same sound inthe studio as I will live Just not got a lot to spend at the momment.

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Norrie
    Re:Rack mounted guitar efx What would you recomend ? 2010/09/23 11:38:19 (permalink)
    jaydon74

This will probably be out of your price range, but I'll throw this option out there.. Have you ever tried the Fractal Audio Axe-FX??
    They have the standard version and the Ultra model.. I had one of these about a yr ago and had to part with it due to hard times.  The support is great, free firmware updates, and the forumites are very knowledgeable and friendly.  U can either go direct into your audio interface, mixer, or into a guitar cab and mic it that way.. So many options are at your fingertips..
    Definitely give it a look.. Many famous musicians are using these units now (Petrucci, Vai, Dweezil Zappa, etc...)
    Here's the link:
    http://fractalaudio.com/index.html

And no, i don't work for them.. LOL.. I just know the minute my funds get back where they are supposed to be, I'll be getting the standard model and (2) 1x12 cab's.. :)

Thats a nice bit of kit!

Whats the price of the standard ?

I know it will be out of my price range at the momment but maybe in the future worth me takeing a look at it again :)

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Norrie
    Re:Rack mounted guitar efx What would you recomend ? 2010/09/23 11:43:29 (permalink)
    fireberd

Regardless of the Behringer version they are always 1 model or revision behind Line 6.  Line 6's control software, "Pod Farm" software that will work with Sonar, large library of "tones"  and relatively good tech support make Behringer look pretty bad.

I have Pod farm on my computer at the momment and I honestly think its a load of Sh*t

Even the presets sound crap to me... Just not my taste I guess. Ive made a few not bad sounds from it but nothing that made me go wow! If I was going to buy a plug in it would prob be amplitube or somethig like that I wouldnt buy another pod.

I would like to find something I can get the same recording sound as I will live because I cant record my amp in the house because the people who live next door would go mental haha. So quiet recording it is :)

So just looking for something else to try untill I get the GT pro.  I am loveing the look of the gear jaydon74 is talking about. It looks like a beast :D

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    jaydon74
    Re:Rack mounted guitar efx What would you recomend ? 2010/09/23 12:03:07 (permalink)
    Norrie

Thats a nice bit of kit!

Whats the price of the standard ?

I know it will be out of my price range at the momment but maybe in the future worth me takeing a look at it again :)

Hey Norrie..
    The standard model is $1500.. The Ultra Model is $2000..
    I know that seems steep, but considering all you are getting, the price is not so bad.. :)
    Here is a link to the wiki page where you can see all the amp models, cabs, pedals, etc.. that are all included in the axe-fx.. and you can also see what is only in the Ultra model too..

Link:
    http://axefxwiki.guitarlo...ex.php?title=Main_Page

jaydon74
    Re:Rack mounted guitar efx What would you recomend ? 2010/09/23 12:10:48 (permalink)

So just looking for something else to try untill I get the GT pro.  I am loveing the look of the gear jaydon74 is talking about. It looks like a beast :D

Norrie

LOL.. It is a BEAST!!
    I wish i wouldn't have gotten rid of it at all..  U can have a simple setup with an amp model and a drive block, or you can go crazy and have multiple amp models, a string of effect blocks in any order to get whatever sound you are after.. I look at it like this.. Yeah, i can get a mesa boogie roadster for 2000USD.. and don't get me wrong, the roadster too, is a beast.. but then you have to buy numerous pedals, etc, etc which can add up bigtime..
    Just off the top of my head, i know that they model the mesa mark series, marshalls (jcm 800 and 900), orange, carol anne, fender, hi-watt, engl, Vox, and many, many more.. and not to mention the drive and effects that are in the box.. It's amazing what Cliff does inside that little black box.. LOL..

Jason

PS.. they do have a distributor in Europe too.. I believe it's G66 or something like that.. :)
    post edited by jaydon74 - 2010/09/23 12:12:21
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Rack mounted guitar efx What would you recomend ? 2010/09/23 12:11:21 (permalink)
    The reviews look bad for that device.

http://guitars.musiciansf...s-Processor?sku=480691

Line 6 is good stuff, The guy who built my guitar uses one and it's all he has on stage. Not sure of model but it's a combo amp I think 60 watts.  He plays straight up top 40 and seems to get every song very close to original, I was impressed.
    I have played with a few virtual efx gizmos and I give up. The Tone is always way wrong. The delays and stuff are good but why wouldn't they be there are digital. But amp sims just can't cut it with me. I have owned most brands of pedal boards made over the years and for some reason they are not here anymore. Sometime half way through first set my 4 hours of programing at home would just not work live so it would spend rest of the night as a $400 tuner in bypass mode.  Over and over I tried to make it work and finally gave up on them.
    So I've got my old rack mount Roland delay unit from 1986 it has 4 footpedal jacks ( pre MIDI)  I use it because it does not suck tone away from my amp like most efxs do.  I sometimes use a MXR envelope filter ( auto wha) I have a Mutron too.
    My tone comes from my fingers then, my Semore Duncan PU's then my 25 watt Fender Princeton, then my Celestion V 10 speaker.
    I change guitars to get different tones, not amp sims.

I have used a Marshal Pre amp JM1?   and it was good but was built as a tube pre amp with Midi control.
    I think a good quality rack mount digital delay unit or the better floor units for time based efxs are the way to go.
    For tone, it's your guitar and your amp. You cannot successfully digitize tone.. Unless that IS your tone ( lord help us)

post edited by johnnyV - 2010/09/23 12:18:33

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Norrie
    Re:Rack mounted guitar efx What would you recomend ? 2010/09/23 12:11:47 (permalink)
    Yeah man your right thats not a bad price at all for everything you get i it!

Its out my price range at the momment so it may even have come down in price by the time I get the funds to buy one

The V amp pro I orderd was really just to give me the same live sound as recording it wouldnt be my first choice but for the momment something around that price will have to do

I will be looking in to the standard model of the Axe efx though wouls be awesome to have that in my live and studio rig

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Searchfinger
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re:Rack mounted guitar efx What would you recomend ? 2010/09/23 12:28:56 (permalink)
    I have a POD XT PRO but ever since i tried the TECH 21 TRI-A.C. i changed my mind.  I only use my XT now for delays and reverbs and other effects and the TRI-A.C. for amp sim.  I'm seriously considering getting a SansAmp PSA.
    Kicker
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 477
    Re:Rack mounted guitar efx What would you recomend ? 2010/09/23 14:14:14 (permalink)
    Hi Norrie,

I wouldn't worry about bringing a DSP like a POD or V-Amp to a studio. The first thing that an engineer worth their salt will do is wire you up to a decent amp & cab and put a good microphone or two in front of it all in a good room.

Cheers.
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Rack mounted guitar efx What would you recomend ? 2010/09/23 15:13:17 (permalink)
    I am loking to be able to get the same sound inthe studio as I will live Just not got a lot to spend at the momment. 

THEN, if it were ME, i'd wait.
    i'd save my money, and find an amplifier that really speaks to the tone in your head.

otherwise, you're wasting your money.

i've heard some good PROS do very well, with the higher model LINE 6 amps live, and Ty Tabor toured with a POD PRO, running thru a couple of huge mesa boogie tube amps into mesa cabs, and that sounded wonderful to me (saw them TWICE with that rig...)

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Norrie
    Re:Rack mounted guitar efx What would you recomend ? 2010/09/23 18:05:06 (permalink)
    Kicker

Hi Norrie,

I wouldn't worry about bringing a DSP like a POD or V-Amp to a studio. The first thing that an engineer worth their salt will do is wire you up to a decent amp & cab and put a good microphone or two in front of it all in a good room.

Cheers.

Hi Norrie, I wouldn't worry about bringing a DSP like a POD or V-Amp to a studio. The first thing that an engineer worth their salt will do is wire you up to a decent amp & cab and put a good microphone or two in front of it all in a good room. Cheers.

Hey kicker

Yeah I know but this is for recording at my house.... I cant do loud recording and mic up my amp or I would just be doing that haha

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Norrie
    Re:Rack mounted guitar efx What would you recomend ? 2010/09/23 18:10:43 (permalink)
    batsbrew

THEN, if it were ME, i'd wait.
    i'd save my money, and find an amplifier that really speaks to the tone in your head.

otherwise, you're wasting your money.

i've heard some good PROS do very well, with the higher model LINE 6 amps live, and Ty Tabor toured with a POD PRO, running thru a couple of huge mesa boogie tube amps into mesa cabs, and that sounded wonderful to me (saw them TWICE with that rig...)

Yeah man I know where your comeing from but I wont be able to mic up the amp in the house I have amps etc but I just cant crank them in the house for reording so am looking for a way to do it so I aint recording sounds I wont get again live

This is just a something to get me going untill I buy a really good efx rack Like the gt pro or something along the lines of the fractual axe fx I was talking to Jaydon about earlyer

Basicaly I am looking for somethign chep to get me going for a fe months till some money comes through then I will get something realy good.

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    MemphisJo
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 594
    Re:Rack mounted guitar efx What would you recomend ? 2010/09/23 18:11:58 (permalink)
      "I thought the V amp would be a good idea as I heard great reviews and watched a lot of videos and it sounded awesome"

If you are as critical as it sounds like you are I wouldn't be buying anything that I had not had a chance to use (unless I could easily return it). I mean, video clips? ... real good sound quality for critical analysis!

IMHO all the amp software I have used is horrible (with one exception). I've never used Amp Farm, although a lot of pro producers have, including Pete Anderson. It costs 600 bucks (and used to be a lot more). Line 6 basically built a whole company around Amp Farms 'lite' version both in soft and hardware format. Line 6 products are well conceived but poorly executed with reliability close to that of Behringer.

One amp software I do like and can use is the Sans Amp that came with Pro Tools. It's good and the only plug in I can actually use.

I prefer to use real amps mostly. However, I can recommend the Digitech 1101 rack unit. It's reasonably priced and is capable of good results. It also has USB for editing and direct recording. I use it with my Blackstar's pre and power amp send the analog out to the computer (as well as an SM57 in front of the speaker).

PS. the 1101 is possibly the only rack unit that can be integrated with your amps pre and power amp. You can either use the modeled stuff in the unit (which is good) or just use it for it's effects with your rigs pre / power amp.
    post edited by MemphisJo - 2010/09/23 18:17:30

www.soundclick.com/peter-nigel-productions 
    Shuttle PC, Mbox2 pro, some guitars and keyboards (with amps and straps etc), Sonar 8 PE plus some other stuff.

Norrie
    Re:Rack mounted guitar efx What would you recomend ? 2010/09/23 18:27:58 (permalink)
    Hey

Yeah I liked the looks of the vamp pro reviews aswell and thought at £99 why not just go for it if its that bad I could sell it on to some one or let friends use it when they are starting out.

Since it will just be to keep me going for a few months if this one ive orders hasnt showed up in the next couple of days I will think about ordering another one from another company :)

I have spoke to a few guys who have them and they say they are awesome for the price but at £99 you know ? what can you really exspect to get ?

Ive heard people say there better than the pods and Ive heard people say they suck

I guess its each to there own :)

Yeah man the Digitech 1101 looks like a nice bit of kit but I havent got that amount at the momment as ive said above or I would be going for something a lot better than I am at the momment

Cheers guys

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Rack mounted guitar efx What would you recomend ? 2010/09/23 19:28:43 (permalink)
    Some inexpensive work arounds.

1. Record your guitar clean, send one of us a live feed over the net,, we'll run it through our amps for you and send it back, Might be a small delay but you could nudge it out,
    2. Buy a wireless pack and put your amp in the neighbors Flat/ basement or doghouse. Put a wireless mike on the speaker to send signal back.
    3.Buy a power soak and unplug your speaker
    4.Second hand gear.
    post edited by johnnyV - 2010/09/23 19:56:24

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Rack mounted guitar efx What would you recomend ? 2010/09/23 19:35:39 (permalink)
    Norrie.... I never really liked using effects and stuff... a straight cord was all the effect I used live.....

Now, I do have a red kidney bean POD 2  and a VOX AD30 modeling amp.... I used the POD on 99% of my recordings. It's easier, no mic to set up and ready to go any time.  The sound I get is reasonable......as (Bat?) said, it's not a replacement for a live amp... but for me, close enough. Several people through the years have commented in a positive manner about the tone of the guitar on my music, so I guess it's not all that bad.

I don't play the Vox much. I turn it on every so often to keep the dust burned off the tube in it.

Playing live, I used the Vox in the church until I quit ( another interesting story for another day) .... and I have a Mesa  Studio 22 that I really like for live gigs...however,  I haven't played a live gig in many, many years now....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1