Can i plug a pre amp into my USB audio interface?

Author
louis.stacey
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
2010/09/23 17:51:18 (permalink)

Can i plug a pre amp into my USB audio interface?

I'm trying to get the best vocal sounds, and i had a look at a Pre Amp, (ART Tube MP - Studio V3)

I was wondering if i would be able to plug that into my audio unterface to get a better sound? Or will this interfere with the signal (like when you plug guitar amp into audio interface).

Anyone know if its worth getting one??

Many thanks again Guys

Louis

7 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Can i plug a pre amp into my USB audio interface? 2010/09/23 17:54:37 (permalink)
    that depends on your USB audio interface - if it has LINE inputs then yes, you can send the output of the ART Tube MP into the LINE input of the USB interface.

as far as whether you would get a better sound?  maybe, maybe not.  it depends on the sound you're looking for and what the preamps are on the interface you currently have, etc. etc.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Sonico
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 266
    Re:Can i plug a pre amp into my USB audio interface? 2010/09/23 17:55:29 (permalink)
    I don't know what audio interface you have but if it has line inputs, the answer would be yes.
    Just make sure that you don't run a pre in to another pre.  

Desktop: Intel Core i7 3.60Ghz, 16 GB Ram Windows 10 64bit
    Laptop: Intel i5 2.3Ghz, 6GB Ram Windows 10 64bit
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
    Presonus Faderport
    My Music
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Can i plug a pre amp into my USB audio interface? 2010/09/23 19:38:19 (permalink)
    I use an Art tube pre Amp and it has a wide range of output options. It has both Hi and Lo impedance outputs. There is also an output attenuator. It will interface with just about anything. So you are 100% OK.
    I use the XLR output and set my interface on "mike". Set the interface pad where you would for a live mike and then turn up the output of the Art until your peak light come on when you shout.
    FYI
      Using "testing 1-2-3"  is stupid, I use a forceful   " HEY Stupid Wake UP! " This not only establishes your max input gain it will test for both sibilance and popped "P's" ,
     it will also get the audiences, if anything's , attention...
    post edited by johnnyV - 2010/09/23 19:41:52

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Can i plug a pre amp into my USB audio interface? 2010/09/23 19:39:52 (permalink)
    A good mic preamp that will make a sonic difference is not cheap.

I have looked at a pre as well... but for now, my interface has some nice clean pres so I will let it ride. I would look too at maybe some FX plug ins that emulate a tape saturation sound..... that might work...I have not felt it necessary to do that... but that is something I might have to dig into....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Can i plug a pre amp into my USB audio interface? 2010/09/23 19:53:16 (permalink)
    I would look too at maybe some FX plug ins that emulate a tape saturation sound.

SO a digital imatation of analog distortion>>> hmm,, that can't be good..

You are correct regarding that good pre amps are expensive say  $1,000 ?
    But for the money the little Arts are usually better than the sad fare found on inexpensive interfaces.
    In my case that's a M Audio fast track pro. The Pre amp just sounds dead. Pre amps have to interact with the circuits of your mike. The M Audio pre amp is way below the quality you would find on a mixing desk. The Art on the other hand, is more of a standard issue pre amp so works great.  It is a great little DI box too. Not sure the tube does much but it impresses people when you patch them into it on stage

I also have a Tascam interface where the pre amps are as just fine by themselves. 

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

louis.stacey
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re:Can i plug a pre amp into my USB audio interface? 2010/09/26 15:00:24 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for all the help, I Use a Cakewalk UA-25 EX . I'm not too familiar with its full capabilities yet , for some reason which i can't seem to figure out -     sonar producer edition 9 won't seem to let me set the interface to 24bit, only on 16bit.  does it make a huge difference??
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Can i plug a pre amp into my USB audio interface? 2010/09/26 17:03:50 (permalink)
    Yes, 24 bit will make a difference, esp. for headroom.  You should be able to switch it in SONAR's Option Audio page, if it isn't hardware/UA 25 software controlled.

The Art stuff is OK - if it is a starved plate design you might find it a little noisy w/ vocals.  I have an mp that I use for bass and it sounds good, if fluffy.  The Cake/Roland stuff usually has OK preamps although clean.  That can make a nice combo.  You can plug the ART into the Cake interface via the front inputs.  They should be automatically sensing inputs if it is like the other Cake stuff I have used.  Just plug the ART line out into it and it does all the matching.

As far as a good preamp - they are expensive.  The best buy lately has been the Focusrite ISA One.  They were blowing them out for $500.  80 db of gain, transfomer-coupled input for some iron goodness, and impecable heritage coming from Rupert Neve.  No tricks, just a good design, decent transformer and high-quality components.  You might end up wanting something more expensive, but it is good enough to stay w/ you for as long as you record audio.  There are other deals, but the ISA is a good complement to the clean, transformerless mic preamps found in every interface.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1