Recommendations on a 61-key MIDI controller?

Author
sonardoggy
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 25
2010/09/24 13:25:52 (permalink)

Recommendations on a 61-key MIDI controller?

I'm looking for a 61-key midi controller for use with Sonar.

I know the new Roland Cakewalk keyboards are out, but I've heard mixed things about them so far. My main interest is getting a keyboard that has decent feeling synth style keys and doesn't feel too cheap.

I haven't really made much of an effort to use an external controller to control faders and such so I'm not sure how relevant that is to me. I also have an NI Maschine so my drum needs are covered.

Suggestions?

2 Replies Related Threads

dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Recommendations on a 61-key MIDI controller? 2010/09/24 13:45:01 (permalink)
    I find the A-Pro series has a really nice feel to it and seems to be solidly constructed.  The main downside is the documentation which is thoroughly lame.  But the user community is slowly figuring out how to get the A-Pro to do what it's supposed to, and the controller subforum is a good source of info. on what the doc. should have provided.  Get your hands on one to see if you like the feel.  I'm no virtuoso, but I quite like it.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Recommendations on a 61-key MIDI controller? 2010/09/24 15:19:37 (permalink)
    For a keyboard, visit the local music emporiums.... hands on really is the best way. They are priced from about $50 up to several thousand, depending on the bells and whistles you want.

One thing I would seek in a new one would be weighted keys and touch response to the force I use on the keys while playing, and a sustain pedal included.  Sound would not matter since I use synths and samples for the sound..... With that ... I'd look for a good deal on the price.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1