Hdw Comp Upstream of Audio Interface?

Author
EasTexGuy
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 160
2010/09/25 08:02:12 (permalink)

Hdw Comp Upstream of Audio Interface?

Just curious how many starving artists use hardware compression ahead of their audio interface for things like vocals and live drums vs using just a plugin after the fact???

I watched a two part video on youtube where this guy at acoustica uses a mic (free gift complete w/switch with purchase of some dj box), a guitar pedal (sustain for compression w/all other effects off) and some dusty interface. In the end, the compression from the pedal did a great job and his track looked exceptionally good. Of course, the intent was to express the greatness of their plugins to correct and sweeten the track... which he did do. 

My Rig: Sonar X1 Studio - Vista 32 on AMD Quad Core @ 3ghz w/4 gig ram - Lexicon Lambda - Assorted Nuts, Bolts & Plugins - More Talent on order as well.

9 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Hdw Comp Upstream of Audio Interface? 2010/09/25 10:00:52 (permalink)

I use compressors in the chain while tracking... it seems to help the performer feel they are hearing a familiar sound and so they play into the compressor.

If I was really sophisticated I would put the compressor on the monitor/playback split... and record clean and commit to compression later... but using the compressors while tracking seems to work fine if you already know what you want.

best regards,
    mike

Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Hdw Comp Upstream of Audio Interface? 2010/09/25 11:54:02 (permalink)
    I use either either an 1176, Portico 5043 or a DBX160x for tracking, depending on the need. I will follow up with some plugins on the mix but generally the tracking compressor takes care of transient issues, the plug in is for color or fx.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    feedback50
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re:Hdw Comp Upstream of Audio Interface? 2010/09/25 12:04:57 (permalink)
    I use a compressor set to limiter type settings (high ratio, fairly fast attack, high threshold). It helps to prevent unintended overs if the performer gets a bit over-enthusiastic (or maybe has poor mic technique). This is fairly common with vocalists that have limted studio exeperience, since they are used to hand held mic's on stage where they can compensate for volume fluctuations by moving the mic around. Many of them are used to cramming a dynamic right up against their mouth on stage. In the studio with a stand mounted condenser, this isn't an option and the sensitivity difference between a hand held dynamic and a LDC can throw them off a bit.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Hdw Comp Upstream of Audio Interface? 2010/09/25 15:58:48 (permalink)
    I don't know that I would use a guitar pedal compressor on a mic.... just thinking about that gives me the willies.... the guitar pedal...I'm thinking, doesn't have anywhere near the frequency range that I would want for a mic.  I might be wrong..... but my guess is that not much above 10K would pass on the guitar pedal.......

I have used a hardware compressor limiter in the past. It worked pretty good... it was more of a limiter on a PA system. It stopped the pressure wave from a flash pot explosion from destroying our PA.

My interface has DSP and one of the settings is compression. I have it set to default and never change it. All my FX now are in the box...plug ins.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Hdw Comp Upstream of Audio Interface? 2010/09/25 21:03:47 (permalink)
    I track w/ compressors all the time, now.  Good electronics won't hurt the sound (emphasis on good).  And a limiter helps with the level setting, same as the compressor.  You can get a nice, evened-out sound into the box, which means less work latter in mixing.  Nothing extreme (unless you want that specific sound), just some analog rounding out when you go in.  Of course, that is an artistic decision and I wouldn't do it on something classical or trés delicate.  Sometimes I'll do modern backing vocals w/o it just to diferentiate the sound from the lead - cleaner, more digital and a hair more dynamic.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    EasTexGuy
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 160
    Re:Hdw Comp Upstream of Audio Interface? 2010/09/25 21:22:33 (permalink)
    LoL @ pedal compression myself. When I first saw him pick this multi-function pedal thing up and present it to the camera dust and all, I'm thinking ,oO{surely not} I understand his whole presentation was by using Acoustica fx, even the most bizarre vocal chain could be made to sound good. Given that... he did do it. :D I wasn't real impressed with his lyrics, but the vocal 'sound' itself fit the music.

What I'm using is a dbx 266XL compressor/gate inserted behind the preamp of my Lexicon Lambda. Prior to this I was using a Blue Cat gate at the top of the fx bin followed by eq and compression. I believe I'm much happier with the hdw gate and compression on tracking. Depending on the vocal needs of the song I can apply compression up front and get a more consistent tracking level.

My Rig: Sonar X1 Studio - Vista 32 on AMD Quad Core @ 3ghz w/4 gig ram - Lexicon Lambda - Assorted Nuts, Bolts & Plugins - More Talent on order as well.
    droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:Hdw Comp Upstream of Audio Interface? 2010/09/25 23:31:36 (permalink)
    To me, I see a fairly significant divide between people who track/mix other people's stuff for a living, and people who record themselves. If you are tracking/mixing other people's stuff, and they are not very confident what they want, and there's a lot riding on it (for the artists at the least), then it makes a lot of sense to be pretty hands off in the tracking phase and leave a lot of flexibility for the mixer who can swizzle it into many different configurations.

Some people who record themselves may do the same. If your primary interest is to just record songs and make them sound good, it makes sense to do the same.

If your interest as a self recorder is to master the process of recording yourself, then I think it makes more sense to try to record everything as close to what you think it should sound like as possible. Take risks and make decisions. So much of what's wrong with a lot of music today is that on one ever has to make a decision during the actual artistic process, so that the real artistic process isn't even done by the artist anyway, it's done by the mixer.

If you don't quite get it right, then learn from that mistake and try to do better next time. Utlimately, I don't think you'll ever get better (where better means more mojo, not more sterile perfection) results than you will by making those decisions and committing to effects, and then building on top of that with other things that you commit to.

With the music industry being what it is, it's pretty silly to figure that anyone is out there waiting for any of our songs to become massive hits. So I personally don't see the point in doing otherwise. Why create output that you could never actually play, in order to effectively impress no one? Why not work on your skills as an engineer and learn how to track it right?

Anyway, that's how I see it. So I commit to everything now, at least to the extent that I have the outboard gear to do it. And I'm getting better results than I ever did before, where I spent more time obessing about plugin settings than creating. Way more actually.

My primary tracking weapons are my home made 1176 and LA-2A. The two of those together, or one or the other separately, are just classic tracking gear. And I have a stereo pair of Speck EQs to do EQ on the way in where needed.

I still have to do drums in the box since I use BFD/BDF2, but I try to find the production I need basically before I start, so that I'm hearing pretty much what will finally be there and reacting to that.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:Hdw Comp Upstream of Audio Interface? 2010/09/26 02:09:02 (permalink)
    compression on the way in is good I think-
    control that crazy vocalist(including myself)

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Hdw Comp Upstream of Audio Interface? 2010/09/27 16:30:53 (permalink)
    +1000 Lance.  Droddey's thoughts are spot-on for me, too.

I've learned that the hard way (vox is my dominant instrument):
    1) ... its far better to get vox and guitar compression (squashing) done at the pre-amp level ... else the crazy vocal spikes (and clippings) drive me insane in Sonar.  IOWs, I conistently start with 15 dcbs @ 7/1 ratio for my freaky vox ... before compressing 20-30 dcbs more with Voxformer (in sonar)
    2) ... its far better to de-ess, filter, and EQ with my pre as well.

I use the Avalon 737 and a condensor mic successfully for this.  Mic technique helps a little, too.

Guitar DI and mic-ing: The fractal Ax fx is my best friend in the studio: comps, EQ, fx's and all the rest are best done 'live', despite my non-virtuoso guitar handling.

Nothing de-inspires me more than enveloping every spike and 'S' in Sonar and having to add fx's to every fx bin.
    post edited by Philip - 2010/09/27 16:32:55

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1