Matching solo with chords

Author
lawnranger
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 140
2010/09/27 16:18:42 (permalink)

Matching solo with chords

I know there is a lot to know..............................  Anyways, I noticed the other day while playing on my quitar, the bluegrass song "Red Haired Boy"  that even tho the measure/ chord was  in G, the solo or melody starts on a D note and resolves to a G note on the second beat.  I have been playing the blues for a while and have to stuck to the philosphy that if the chord is G, most of the time you should play a G note to start and end.  Is Red Haired Boy an anomaly or are there rhymes and reasons to not align the chord with the melody notes?

WIndows 7/64 Home 70 GB Pentium 4 2.8 GHZ, 3 GB Ram
SONAR 8.5, EMU 0404, Soundcraft Compact 4, EDIROL PCR M50, Epi Semi Acoustic, Fender Bass, Breedlove Acoustic, Epi Les Paul.

14 Replies Related Threads

dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Matching solo with chords 2010/09/27 16:46:17 (permalink)
    Besides the root note, the 3rd and the 5th are good target notes. For example, on a G major, the D is the 5th, or the B would be the major 3rd.  That is because those are the notes that comprise a G major chord.
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Matching solo with chords 2010/09/27 16:48:50 (permalink)
    Your ears, alone, in this dog-eat-dog world, may apply.  I know that Dominant (VII) to Tonic (I) oft climatically releases the tension in blue-grass, country, pop, and many genres.  But there are intros, outros, etc. that violate paradigms, IIRC.

OTOH; I recommend 32-bit BiaB (Band-In-A-Box) ($160) (over VST-plug-ins like Catanya and such) to test/make your chords (royalty free).  Basically, you'd enter your specific chords or select/play from hundreds/thousands of chord-progressions in your blue-grass genre and sub-genre. 

BiaB solved all my chord-progression doubts and fears (though I now prefer non-bluegrass beatz and grooves)

EDIT: (Ooops ... See Beagle's corrections below)

I now realize I *cough* probably meant Tonic (I) --> various scale chords ... --> Dominant V (or V7) --> Tonic (I).

Anyway, I serious love chord and rhythm theories ... like the rest of you ...

... but chords of other bluegrass artists are also inspiring to emulate (without stealing *their* exact songs of course).
    post edited by Philip - 2010/09/28 10:27:28

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Matching solo with chords 2010/09/27 17:58:39 (permalink)
    if the chord is G, most of the time you should play a G note to start and end. 

Why? That's probably the only note you shouldn't start and end with. Well, not shouldn't, LOL,but, um, there are lots of other notes that may be more interesting. If the "chord" is G, you are most likely in the key of G, or D. Those keys have all the same notes in common except C and C#.  If you're in the key of G, the chords in that scale are G, Am, Bm, C, D7, Em, F#dim. The note in that scale are those notes also. You may also find that F and Bb are good notes as a "blue" or passing notes. 
    But then again, whatever sounds good to your ears is "good".

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Matching solo with chords 2010/09/27 20:16:52 (permalink)
    Philip

Your ears, alone, in this dog-eat-dog world, may apply.  I know that Dominant (VII) to Tonic (I) oft climatically releases the tension in blue-grass, country, pop, and many genres.  But there are intros, outros, etc. that violate paradigms, IIRC.

OTOH; I recommend 32-bit BiaB (Band-In-A-Box) ($160) (over VST-plug-ins like Catanya and such) to test/make your chords (royalty free).  Basically, you'd enter your specific chords or select/play from hundreds/thousands of chord-progressions in your blue-grass genre and sub-genre. 

BiaB solved all my chord-progression doubts and fears (though I now prefer non-bluegrass beatz and grooves)

[pedantic]

Dominant = V
    VII = leading tone

the Dominant Seventh chord, however, is a chord made from a major root chord and adding a minor 7th.  maybe that's what you're referring to?
    [/pedantic] 

carry on. 
    post edited by Beagle - 2010/09/27 20:18:54

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Matching solo with chords 2010/09/28 08:36:09 (permalink)
    The song is played in a certain 'key'.  That key, as Timidi menitioned, has it's own harmonic scale.  Whatever key you're playing in affords you many notes to travel while still playing under one chord.  Your ears, not theory,  will always be the last word on this.  If you just play the root of the chord it's not really a solo but a bass part.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Matching solo with chords 2010/09/28 08:54:23 (permalink)
    OK ... I'm not gonna get into theory... just the nitty gritty.

In the real world.... it really doesn't matter where you start or end a solo (note wise) and the more original you are sometimes the better. We tend to play a solo, and learn it to memory.... that's not good.... it's called a "rut". So do something different in it... start it up high if you've been starting it low.  Start it early or a few beats late.... make it a 2 string solo if it's been a one string solo, or vice versa.  The point is shake it up... that forces you to do something totally new..on the spot, and that's how you learn and get better.   Don't succumb to the notion that rules (of theory) are to be followed always in music.

This is a case where it is handy to understand the theory so....knowing what key you're in, what the chords being played are... you can now match the SCALES that you are playing to the notes you wish to use.

I don't know much theory, and when I play, I sure don't think in theory, so I simply play what I hear in my head.  Some of my better solos come from playing a "wrong note" and thinking... "man, that sounded cool..... lets do it again and expand on it a bit. "  That came from >>>

A little trick I learned from playing live, night after night. If you make a mistake (wrong note in a solo)... and it's an obvious one.... play on a few bars and then repeat the "wrong note" again.... now people will think that you did it on purpose.... which you did.

Most important...have fun when you play.

post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/09/28 08:55:59

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:Matching solo with chords 2010/09/28 10:01:40 (permalink)
    You don't use notes in blues.  You use feelings.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Matching solo with chords 2010/09/28 12:55:53 (permalink)
    Good point Marcos...!

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Matching solo with chords 2010/09/29 04:55:13 (permalink)
    Great stuff.

I agree with GH in that where/when you start/stop a solo is totally irrelevant and has nothing to do with theory (mine is sketchy at best)

Try and play what's in your head, start runs and/or arpeggios on different notes and see what happens.

I was working on a piece the other night which I think was in the key of F# - by accident I hit the chord of E and it fitted perefectly with what was going on underneath and is now an integral part of the song.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Matching solo with chords 2010/09/29 10:43:15 (permalink)

Make a note of that!

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Soundtrapper
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re:Matching solo with chords 2010/09/30 14:40:15 (permalink)
    lawnranger

I have been playing the blues for a while and have to stuck to the philosphy that if the chord is G, most of the time you should play a G note to start and end

Much as white light has all the colors....The root contains the 3 and 5.  Yes the single note "G" has a "B" and "D" within...and when you play a G chord you are simply physically combining them. That is why the three of them love each other so much...they are of the same.

If you're going to be philosophical, questioning the critical and systematic methods could be at the least confusing.
    I'm confident that learning bits and pieces of music theory in a forum is not the preferred method.
    With that thought I'd much prefer to suggest an addition to your philosophical approach.

Listen and mock the blues players that you "hear". Pay attention to the mechanics of the guitar. What I mean by
    that is "patterns" and how you can move them.
    "Sing" aloud the lines you are learning matching your voice and guitar. As you progress you may wonder if your
    voice is simply matching the notes of the guitar...so sing a little lick and then try to play it.

Let sound and feel be your guide. When you're ready to incorporate critical systematic thinking find a good
    teacher and learn theory. Well that's my take on it. Hope it helps you.

Sonar 8.5.3
    Win 7 64 bit

Soundtrapper at Mixposure 

Kicker
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 477
    Re:Matching solo with chords 2010/10/08 01:24:51 (permalink)
    marcos69

Or just play any note and bend it up until it blends.
    montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    Re:Matching solo with chords 2010/10/10 20:16:03 (permalink)
    I just found this bloke on youtube...I haven't checked out much of his stuff...but what I heard could be useful I think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05KiOYNZgvs

That's just a random one of his videos...
    lawnranger
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 140
    Re:Matching solo with chords 2010/10/11 16:39:34 (permalink)
    Thanks to one and all.  I echo the sentiment that you need to play what you feel.  Sometimes it is nice to get some theory and learn some of the tricks of the trade.  They sure have helped me with my muscic.

WIndows 7/64 Home 70 GB Pentium 4 2.8 GHZ, 3 GB Ram
    SONAR 8.5, EMU 0404, Soundcraft Compact 4, EDIROL PCR M50, Epi Semi Acoustic, Fender Bass, Breedlove Acoustic, Epi Les Paul.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1