Helpful ReplyAudio Sound Card

Author
fanofphonics
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2010/09/30 10:47:56 (permalink)

Audio Sound Card

Hi All

I know there is a lot of information out there regarding this subject already but I'd like someone to help me out with my particular requirements if possible ;)

I've used Sonar on and off for about a year now (kids have a funny way of taking up your time!!). I've been using an older dual-Core laptop but have recently upgraded to a desktop :-

Acer X4 Quad Core 2.6 GHz
6 GB RAM
Vista 64 bit
Alesis Multimix 4 USB
Guitars
Condenser Mics
61 Key Midi Controller (axiom)

Problem is I am still getting clicks and pops as there are no direct drivers for the USB soundcard - I am thinking this is the weakest link in the chain.I am also getting about 10ms of latency (but more so on the round trip) and my sample size can only really be set to 512 - I thought with this computer I'd get it much lower as this is what the laptop had.

So my new computer has 2 firewire ports and I was wondering if it would be best to change from USB and use a Firewire device -
The other option being getting a PCI card

So I am a singer/songwriter
I use 3 condenser mics at any one time maximum (2 guitar and 1 for vox)
I do it as a hobby

Can anyone suggest a better alternative than the multimix? I would spend circa £300 on it

Thanks

John

Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re:Audio Sound Card 2010/09/30 11:48:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
yes, you're correct the alesis and its lack of drivers are the weakest link.

firewire devices are great as long as they work well.  some people have problems with non-TI chipset firewire controllers using sonar and firewire soundcards, so check first to see if you have a TI chipset or not.  if not, I'd stick with USB or PCI OR you can get a PCI to 1394 card with TI chipset on it.

check my website for some recommendations.  In addition to what's on my website, I also recommend the MOTU units.  most of them are firewire, but there is also the Ultralite MK3 Hybrid that is USB OR firewire, but it is over your budget.

m-audio's new firewire and USB devices aren't on my list either, but they are also good items to invest in (such as the fast track ultra and fast track ultra 8r)

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
fanofphonics
Re:Audio Sound Card 2010/09/30 12:21:20 (permalink)
Thanks for the reply Beagle

I did have a look at your website just after I posted!

My chipset seems to be VIA OCHI Compliant so that means i might need to change to a TI chipset right? I seen one online for £20 so thats not a problem. But do I need FW?? Hmmm

So i see from your website that M-Audio isn't a good manufacturer if you have Vista - Do you still have that opinion? If I were to go for one of the M-Audio PCI cards do you think I would experience problems

Thanks for your help man

AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re:Audio Sound Card 2010/09/30 12:32:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Via's are pretty good - I've been using them for dog's years w/ no problem.  Internal and an old Firewire card I keep using as I upgrade computers.  I've never had a problem w/ firewire, although low latency isn't a strong suite.  But for what you are doing it should work.

I use a TCK now and have had good results.  Their 64 bit drivers are supposed to be working, now.  Here in the states you can get the Konnect 6 for $200.  SOS called it the best sounding card for under $500 a year or two ago.  That might have changed in the meantime, but the sound quality is high.  However, the 6 only has one mic input (two lines, tho).

All other things being equal, a USB interface will last longer since FW is slowly dying out, along w/ PCI slots, etc.  Since you use Cakewalk one of their USB interfaces ought to be on your short list.  Having mucked around w/ the VS series, the Roland hardware sounds pretty good.

Whatever you get, it is kind of silly to put in a lot of time on a lower end interface.  Plug and play, and if it doesn't work return it for one from column B.  The sound quality isn't going to be dramtically different at lower prices but actually recording music is a better use of time than self-tech support.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
johnnyV
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2677
Re:Audio Sound Card 2010/09/30 12:40:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Did you read the thread going on upstairs "whats your poison" there's a lively discussion worth diving into. You would think that a simple item like this could be just a matter of how many in's and out you need, but oh no, Three different OS then, USB, Firewire, PCI. Round trip latency!
The list goes on. You will have to dig through a few threads here and I would also go to a few other forums as well like Gear sluts.
I have 2 interfaces, a Tascam us1641 which will do 16 inputs that sell for $250, Hell of a deal and everything about is real  good, but it has  bad RTL. like 28ms. This is not an issue as long as you do not want real time efx. I tested it's timing sync and its right on. So I'm happy enough.
I also use an M audio FAst Track pro which is one of there cheaper interfaces . It to works fine but with pour RTL specs. The pre amps are terrible and headphone out put is weak. When installing it Widows will say it does not pass the windows drivers test which says a lot for the drivers. They never updated them too. But I do read good things about the Ultra.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
 Scarlett 6i6
Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Beagle
Re:Audio Sound Card 2010/09/30 12:40:43 (permalink)
personally I am using my MOTU hybrid with a VIA firewire chipset and do not have problems, but like AT says, I'm not running low latencey either because I monitor outside the box and low latency is not important to me.

regarding m-audio's vista drivers - they probably are OK now.  m-audio was slow to bring vista drivers into the market and when they arrived they didn't work well.  I haven't heard any complaints about them lately, but then again, most people are using win7 now instead of vista, so I would say that if I were buying a new soundcard and I had vista on my computer, I might consider m-audio, but I might go with something else just to be safe.

guitardog247
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1226
Re:Audio Sound Card 2010/09/30 13:16:34 (permalink)
I didn't know Beagle got a MOTU Ultralite mk3. How's he like it overall?
I was really looking at that hard, convinced I was going to buy it.
But I didn't have monitors, so I got the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra and monitors, that stayed in my budget. Instead of just getting the ultralite.

Sonar, Les Paul Studio, FTU, puter, plugs.........
Beagle
Re:Audio Sound Card 2010/09/30 13:35:49 (permalink)
hey dog - so far I really like it!  I've only had one opportunity to record with it but it worked really well.  and I'm running it using the firewire port on a via chipset as I said above without any problems.

it was funny to me - when I moved from a soundblaster soundcard to my m-audio delta 44 I could tell a BIG difference in sound quality both recording and playback.

when I went from the D44 to the MOTU I had just as much "jump" in quality as I did from the SB to the Delta!  I could hear things in my mixes that I was missing before with the delta!

fanofphonics
Re:Audio Sound Card 2010/10/01 07:02:11 (permalink)
Thanks for your help guys

I'm going to have to do a bit more reading on the forums and then I'll pick one that will do me for the next few years

Cheers

J
RobertB
  • Total Posts : 11256
Re:Audio Sound Card 2010/10/06 13:36:02 (permalink)
johnnyV

When installing it Widows will say it does not pass the windows drivers test which says a lot for the drivers. 

That doesn't really mean anything. None of the pro-sumer or better interfaces pass the Windows signature test, that I am aware of.
It is for consumer grade hardware, and has to do with compliance with certain functions, usually DRM.

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re:Audio Sound Card 2010/10/06 13:45:31 (permalink)
Can anyone suggest a better alternative than the multimix? I would spend circa £300 on it

Have a look at the FastTrack Ultra
Low round-trip latency, four inputs with preamps, good sound, and solid Win7_x64 drivers

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
johnnyV
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2677
Re:Audio Sound Card 2010/10/06 19:20:31 (permalink)
Hey Jim, You seemed to have used the M audio ultra or know somebody who has. So do you happen to know if the S/PDIF works on that interface. This is my biggest complaint regarding my M audio fast track pro.
There is no way to set the master clock source in it's control panel so I can't use the digital in/outs.
Funny thing is I've been using a SB Audigy for 8 years before I bought the M Audio and the Digital in/ outs worked fine. I use a Yamaha o1V and it sucks to have to use the analog outs. SO now I've bought even one more interface, the Tascam us1641. and it is not perfect either. My next one HAS to be perfect! :)
I can only hope they Fast track pro is not an example of the other products M audio makes , but I swore I would never buy anything made by them again. I cannot aford the RME which seems to be THE one.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
 Scarlett 6i6
Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re:Audio Sound Card 2010/10/08 12:27:41 (permalink)
Hey Jim, You seemed to have used the M audio ultra or know somebody who has. So do you happen to know if the S/PDIF works on that interface. This is my biggest complaint regarding my M audio fast track pro.

Yes, when you set the sync source to External, that is using the S/PDIF input for clock.
(The FastTrack Ultra and Ultra 8R don't have BNC or any other means of external clock.)

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
sarv
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Audio Sound Card 2010/10/25 10:22:50 (permalink)
It is the basic thing  in using sound card. If you are going to purchase it then you have to know about your motheboard.Their are many motherboard vonder in market so firstly u have to check the motherboard then purchase and install card. Thanks
Caravans For Sale Scotland
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re:Audio Sound Card 2010/10/25 10:32:27 (permalink)
The signed Windows drivers are simply a way for Bill Gates to take more of your money and give it to his favorite charity.  As stated above, few music drivers are "signed" off by MS because you have to pay them.

Finding a card ain't rocket science and you've gotten some good advice and it sounds like you are doing your due dilligence.  Good hunting for a sound card and let us know. 

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1