GSR24 Allen / Heath

Author
musicroom
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2421
2010/10/02 00:45:46 (permalink)

GSR24 Allen / Heath

http://www.allen-heath.com/uk/gs-r24.asp

This looks sweet. Me likey! Is this a piece of gear to get instead of the V700? Or vice-versa?

Anyone checking this out?

post edited by musicroom - 2010/10/02 12:04:21

Dave
Songs

5 Replies Related Threads

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:GSR24 Allen / Heath 2010/10/02 13:30:26 (permalink)
    There's been lots of talk about this since the ZED-R16 came out. I have one of those and if it's anything like that (which I'm sure it will be) it'll be fantastic. In fact I think I may sell my 16 and a couple of my body organs to get one.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:GSR24 Allen / Heath 2010/10/02 17:42:53 (permalink)
    The VS 700 is a different beast, esp. if you just get the C (controller) unit.  Nothing quite like it since it is customized by Cake for SONAR.  I'd love to see the jog-wheel/buttons on a cheaper piece, and once you use that to get to where you want to be onscreen, a single button brings up most functions.

The A&H 24 is an analoge mixer for the most part that you can "mix" out your DAW to (either using your own interface or the optional on-board one).  Then use the motorized faders to, well, mix the analog tracks so the careful relationships you've set up on your software EQs/comps don't get changed, only atteunuated.  And teh GYH eqs, which are pretty good, right fastbikerboy?  Trés cool.  Of course, you can also use those same faders to control sonar's tracks, too.

But the A&H is much more expensive - $10,000 I've heard for a pimped out one.  The VS-700 C is -$2000.  The VS interface is pretty good, probably as good as the A&H, but ain't the reason to get the VS 700 system.  Get teh A&H w/o motorized faders and a VS700 C - that would be cool for SONAR users.  Anyone want to write me a check to see?

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    musicroom
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2421
    Re:GSR24 Allen / Heath 2010/10/02 22:32:56 (permalink)
    AT

The VS 700 is a different beast, esp. if you just get the C (controller) unit.  Nothing quite like it since it is customized by Cake for SONAR.  I'd love to see the jog-wheel/buttons on a cheaper piece, and once you use that to get to where you want to be onscreen, a single button brings up most functions.

The A&H 24 is an analoge mixer for the most part that you can "mix" out your DAW to (either using your own interface or the optional on-board one).  Then use the motorized faders to, well, mix the analog tracks so the careful relationships you've set up on your software EQs/comps don't get changed, only atteunuated.  And teh GYH eqs, which are pretty good, right fastbikerboy?  Trés cool.  Of course, you can also use those same faders to control sonar's tracks, too.

But the A&H is much more expensive - $10,000 I've heard for a pimped out one.  The VS-700 C is -$2000.  The VS interface is pretty good, probably as good as the A&H, but ain't the reason to get the VS 700 system.  Get teh A&H w/o motorized faders and a VS700 C - that would be cool for SONAR users.  Anyone want to write me a check to see?

@

I would write you one, but I want to wait and see how many checks you get first.

Speaking of the A&H, I have a GS3V I bought new for a small fortune in the 90's. It has never done anything but perform well. I'm really shopping since I want to upgrade from my 1010 interface. I think it's time... Roland, A&H and others have my attention right now as well. Going that route would bring me more DAW control, but I might just end up buying a RME and call it a day at some point.

Dave
    Songs

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:GSR24 Allen / Heath 2010/10/02 23:59:58 (permalink)
    Dave,

I will probably be waiting a while, too ;-)

A&H makes good stuff.  And I can't say enough about the VS-700C - takes SONAR control to a whole different level.  I wish I had a wallet as big as my eyes.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    Re:GSR24 Allen / Heath 2010/10/03 03:12:42 (permalink)
    The EQ on the ZEDR-16 are great and the pres are pretty good too. I've recently started taking a lot of tracks OTB through the ZED for the EQ and back into Sonar. I've not done a complete mix that way yet but it's something I'm bound to try at some point.

Once you're happy with the way it's sounding is a simple matter of recording that channel back onto the track you're monitoring. You have to have the Sonar setting on "Sound on Sound - Blend" so it puts the processed track in a new layer, which probably isn't a bad thing anyway - at least you still have an extra undo option. Makes Sonar's  "external insert" redundant 'cos you can use the same method for any hardware you have on the inserts.

If there's even "more flexibility in workflow setup" it'll be mind boggling, the routing options on the 16 are pretty good already. You can choose where in the boards signal flow you take the audio in or out already pre/post EQ/insert etc.

I use an MCU & XT for control, the 16's MIDI control is ok but nothing like a MCU. I didn't buy it for that though so no great complaints from me about it.

I think the price is going to take it out of my reality anyway which is probably a good thing TBH. I've spent a fortune on gear this year at the expense of my other hobby which is riding motorbikes around the UK's race tracks as fast as I can. If you think DAWs and associated costs are expensive..................
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1