Logical Advice please

Author
Hitman
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 266
2010/10/02 16:51:37 (permalink)

Logical Advice please

ok here is the deal, i have a few dollars to put in the studio. Ok now i use a Tascam fw-1884 im bypassing the pres in it and using a behringer mixer's pres and a AT3035 mic. as of now im mixing in the box with only sonar effects...on to my so called fix now i was looking for a new mic, and a buddy of mine(works at the recording workshop) told me to look at Studio Projects(budget and all) He said its a good mic for the R&B Rap And spoken word i do, also to match it with a Golden Age pre 73. now i was thinking of just getting the mic and a uad card.  here is a link for those that dont mind listening to hip hop,rap,r&b to see what im talking about

http://www.soundclick.com...ult.cfm?bandID=1092073

i just wanna know what would be the best "technical move"

Gigabyte GA-EP35-SL3
Core 2 duo E8500
4 GIGS OF RAM
Tascam FW-1884
Sonar 8.5pe
Reason 4
Roland XP-60

And they said i couldnt do it...

5 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Logical Advice please 2010/10/02 17:57:48 (permalink)
    All three?

As good as the UAD is, I'm in a hardware mode latey.  I 'haven't used the GA '73 but have only heard good things about it.  Hope to hear Beagle's before too long and see how it compares to the ISA One I got and the Portico II.

There is just something great about a lot of gain on a preamp that you can't get from an interface's - never mind the color.  Of course, w/ Rap and other loud vox, that might not matter as much.  But a good front end is hard to beat, and software, is, well software.  I find I don't use as much variety as I already have for comps and eqs.  Sonitus unless I have a reason to use something else.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Hitman
    Re:Logical Advice please 2010/10/02 18:14:04 (permalink)
    i wish i could get all 3...but the mrs. isnt going for that...hahaha. im going thru it with this choice.  i figured the front end would be the best move, just some of sonars effects lack that "sparkle" if you will, but i really wont know till i correct my front end. thanks guess ill move the uad to the xmas list...hehehehe

Gigabyte GA-EP35-SL3
    Core 2 duo E8500
    4 GIGS OF RAM
    Tascam FW-1884
    Sonar 8.5pe
    Reason 4
    Roland XP-60

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Logical Advice please 2010/10/02 18:32:12 (permalink)
    Cool.  I know about the Mrs. thing.  Just tell her you won't ask her how much her shoes are.

;-)

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Hitman
    Re:Logical Advice please 2010/10/02 19:00:23 (permalink)
    AT

Cool.  I know about the Mrs. thing.  Just tell her you won't ask her how much her shoes are.

;-)

Cool. I know about the Mrs. thing. Just tell her you won't ask her how much her shoes are. ;-)

lmao now that is funny, 2 days ago she said"i wanna go shoe shopping" man what a world...

Gigabyte GA-EP35-SL3
    Core 2 duo E8500
    4 GIGS OF RAM
    Tascam FW-1884
    Sonar 8.5pe
    Reason 4
    Roland XP-60

Hitman
    Re:Logical Advice please 2010/10/12 18:14:56 (permalink)
    ok well my GAP 73 and SP B1 arrived yesterday, and i must say, very smooth. i tried all of my mics(At 3035,Blue ball, SP b1) the sp really showed up, the blue ball really surprised me, and i think after 7yrs of moves, and not the best conditions for my at 3035, I believe it needs repairs. It was real gritty, with a form a distortion. strange. all in all my front end is so nice now. my peaks on the display lanes are smaller but stands out so much better. i had a engineer friend over to mess around with the toys, first thing he said was "wow,man i dont think you need to eq a thing"lol thanks for the help AT, it was a good move for me.

Gigabyte GA-EP35-SL3
    Core 2 duo E8500
    4 GIGS OF RAM
    Tascam FW-1884
    Sonar 8.5pe
    Reason 4
    Roland XP-60

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1